Sponsored

New video: R1T at Overland Expo West 2019 Q&A with Rivian

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner

Some of the new bits of info from the video:
  • audio system "target higher than Audi" - This is actually the first I've thought about the audio system, and now that I think of it, I don't recall seeing any speaker grills anywhere in the prototype vehicles...
  • the Rivian charging network will be limited to remote places to supplement what's out there, mentioned was a charging network "announcement soon"
  • A mention of the prototype vs production vehicle differences: small aero details and refinement
  • Cable lock alarm triggers a rear facing camera that can view the bed of the truck (sounds similar to Tesla's awesome sentry mode)
  • Question about full-time 4x4 revealed that rear wheels can be "decoupled" for FWD on highway for efficiency - but unlike the dual motor Model 3 design, all 4 motors are the same kind.
  • Roof options: electrochromic (old news), removable (rumored, but I don't think confirmed until now)
  • Once again confirming that "later this year" preorders will be able to be converted to actual vehicle orders where colors/options can be selected. This means we'll know quite a bit more about the final details by the end of year!
Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
@aAlpine, great info and video. Thanks for posting! About half of those I haven't heard yet come from a Rivian rep. In addition, I've been wondering about those items/topics. The more I find out about the R1T the harder it's making it to stay with my "initial" decision of pre-ordering the R1S. :headbang:
Side note: I believe the latest production version of the M3 now have the same motors in front and back.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
I have to question how the Rvian employee closes the passenger door. Not the typical closing that we all do when we exit a vehicle. He pushes the door a little to close and then gives it a push with both hands as if it is difficult to catch. Lets hope there is just a simple issue with the prototype.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Yea, I picked up on that "gentle but odd" door closing too. I was trying to figure out a plausible reason for it but couldn't come with any and just forgot about it. Perhaps since it is a prototype they were told not to slam any doors/lids to prevent anything from breaking? Or perhaps one of the Rivian reps was taking nap in the cabin after having one too many after sitting around the pullout stove/kitchen last night. :party: :rock:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I want details on the audio, and hope there is a subwoofer option.

FWD on the highway is pretty interesting too...

jfrench

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Land Cruiser x2 (for sale when the R1T gets delivered), Land Rover Range Rover (wife's rig)
I have to question how the Rvian employee closes the passenger door. Not the typical closing that we all do when we exit a vehicle. He pushes the door a little to close and then gives it a push with both hands as if it is difficult to catch. Lets hope there is just a simple issue with the prototype.
Just discovered this forum today. Was at the Rivian event here in Denver this past weekend and am really excited about these vehicles now. Hadn't seen the video posted above but while talking with one of the Rivian guys at the event I asked if he would give the door a nice firm shut so I could 'hear' the quality of the build. He replied that he couldn't because it's a prototype and not built to the standards the production vehicle will be.
Sponsored