First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Don’t forget not all early preorders got the LE, either missed the window or opted to wait for other features. Really hard to say how many LEs were grapped in the week they were available.
Great point. If we go by the other Rivian forum numbers, ~1/3 of people went for the Explorer package, and ~1/3 got the 400mile pack. This most of this likely overlaps.
This doesn't mean that early preorder holders did it, but at least is another number we can add :)
@nfrank this is all guess work of course, but you could also add this info.
Sponsored

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Great point. If we go by the other Rivian forum numbers, ~1/3 of people went for the Explorer package, and ~1/3 got the 400mile pack. This most of this likely overlaps.
This doesn't mean that early preorder holders did it, but at least is another number we can add :)
If we just knew a ballpark number for how many LE vehicles are on the docket for production. Wondering if any of those lucky ones that were at the event in Normal were brave enough to ask RJ point blank, "How many LE vehicles is Rivian expecting to make this year? Or by spring 2022? And if they did ask, and he gave a real answer, are they allowed to say? My guess is a non-answer if the question were actually asked. Inquiring minds want to know!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It is further complicated by the fact that some configured the LE as a placeholder.
I still don't know if the LE is what I will ultimately purchase, but not sure why anyone configured anything else. You can change away from the LE at any time, but it was a one time window to have a chance at getting one.
At first I was relatively sure I wanted the base 21s and torn a bit on the Max Pack and Explore vs Adventure trims.
Thanks to @DuckTruck and others at the Normal event, the 20s are looking more like my preferred choice. Same might be said for Launch Green, but it depends on what day and time you ask. The color question will not be resolved until I get to see them in person.

We don't know how many LE were configured, nor do we know how many will actually convert to an order.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
It is further complicated by the fact that some configured the LE as a placeholder.
We don't know how many LE were configured, nor do we know how many will actually convert to an order.
Exactly. LE is merely a placeholder for me. I may still hold out for a "longer range" R1S battery pack and 5 seat configuration but I am still waiting for final range info and details of the larger battery pack and the opportunity to see the 7 seat config in person.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I feel like the most important question has yet to be answered.

Why was this guy giving @DuckTruck the evil eye the entire time he was asking his question during the Q&A?
My guess is because @DuckTruck wasn't wearing a pink shirt, didn't have enough ink, or he was jealous of Duck's hair.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My guess is because @DuckTruck wasn't wearing a pink shirt, didn't have enough ink, or he was jealous of Duck's hair.
Hey, I think the guy in the pink shirt has a great hair style... :cool:

Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm a fairly early preorder and I opted for the max pack/adventure/20s . I have a feeling there many who didn't opt for launch edition. I just wish I knew where on the list I sat. Although, I bet if they had a list, it's evolving all the time as they set up service centers.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I feel like the most important question has yet to be answered.

Why was this guy giving @DuckTruck the evil eye the entire time he was asking his question during the Q&A?

Duck.PNG
I appreciate the humor, but he's a really great guy. We had a chance to hang out together, and I came away impressed. He spent a career in the military and we had a good visit about that, and life in general.

Now that I peruse this pic more closely, that look he has may have something to do with the near jazz-hands I'm waving while asking a question. ??

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
If the Tank turn being only available in certain areas, to me, it's no different than the Summon feature on my X. You can't just fire it up and have it drive to you down the block, it's geofenced to prevent you from doing it on public roadways. It makes sense, it's a safety issue, and as other have pointed out, they are probably geolocking it for those very reasons. You think it's bad when a Tesla driver fires up FSD, stuffs a water bottle in the steering wheel and then takes a nap, just imagine if some dumbass flipped a tank turn in the middle of a busy roadway or parking lot and trashed a bunch of cars (or worse, killed someone)... NTSA would be all over them in a heartbeat... and poof... no more tank turn.

I'm perfectly fine with them geolocking it, it's really only a party piece (again, like Tesla Summon, or the model X Falcon Wing doors... cool feature, not terribly useful, or worse, super annoying 80% of the time because it doesn't work right).

We already know they are geolocking features, Driver+ only works on specific roadways, so Tank turn being geolocked shouldn't be shocking.

As for the camera's and privacy, if they are smart, they will go the same route as Tesla, and snap only X number of minutes of video before/after a registered crash and delete the rest (to adhere to GDPR and such requirements around maintaining PII). Hopefully also allowing you, the user, the ability to snap/record your own videos and access to those clips via a USB/SD (good viewing... like a Russian dash cam at times).

Again, I'm not terribly worried, it's the way the world is marching and so long as I'm nothing more than a GUID in a DB with no PII attached and only present in the DB under certain circumstances, screw it, if they want to watch me get stuck in traffic for 30 minutes on the 405... good for them.

The need to "observe cabin activities" would be the one I would get itchy around. I'd be curious what they are collecting and storing there in. Is it a camera filming the cabin and maintaining a recording of the chatter in the cabin, or it's is just some basic data collection (like are your eyeballs facing forward, when was the last time you gave the wheel feedback, blah blah blah). If it's more invasive, they could have a serious issue around privacy (it's one thing to record where the truck is and what's going on around the outside of it, totally different beast when you monitor the inside and collect data from the cabin).

However, I'm guessing there is a EULA that you will have to agree to to use certain features that rely on that hardware (like the Driver+ feature for example... if you want to use it, you have to agree to the terms), and I would guess the "Google Street View" will be an opt in (or, maybe an opt out...) selection (at least if they want to avoid the EU making their life hell they will make it opt in/out). Same with the voice activation using Alexa, I'm guessing there is a toggle to enable/disable in the truck.

That said, they will have to be able to turn off multiple different features that record/store data if the vehicle enters sensitive areas (military bases, etc...).

Overall though, this was great to see and hear... I found the round table super interesting and helpful... more of those would be great, even virtual one's where they collect questions/comments from an AMA, or these forums, etc... and then respond.

Last edited:

mike22co

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X3 (x2), s00n R1S
Occupation
Person
Here is a question that has been bugging me for some reason. Maybe @DuckTruck was able to experience this?

Is the charging door made of aluminum or plastic? For some reason I'm bothered that it could be plastic. I've had numerous vehicles over the years that have had fuel doors break or fail due to being made of plastic. I'm really hoping the doors are metal and sturdy.

Love the conversations here, but they do nothing for my patience to just sit back and relax until mid-2022.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Here is a question that has been bugging me for some reason. Maybe @DuckTruck was able to experience this?

Is the charging door made of aluminum or plastic? For some reason I'm bothered that it could be plastic. I've had numerous vehicles over the years that have had fuel doors break or fail due to being made of plastic. I'm really hoping the doors are metal and sturdy.

Love the conversations here, but they do nothing for my patience to just sit back and relax until mid-2022.
I wish I knew for certain what it's made of. It looked the same as the rest of the body, but paint will do that.

The thing I appreciated most about it is that RJ talked about how sturdy the rotating mount is. That gives me at least some confidence that the door itself is fairly sturdy (read: aluminum) but I didn't tap it to find out.

If (and when ???) I ever get back to Normal, or to one of the other events, I'll do more than just hug and drive the R1T. If I'd thought more about it in advance, I would have sifted through these threads and made a list of all of the questions and sought answers to all, without trying to sound, or come off like a complete noob.

Oh well, being back there was still one of the two best experiences of my life.....

At a full month now, I guess that's what the "Perma" in Perma-grin means. Still Full Grin Action goin' on.... ?
Sponsored