Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
SeaGeo,

If someone in an RJ costume comes to my door on Halloween and says "Trick or Truck!", I'll know it's you! ?
"Hey Bruce, we gave you the wrong truck. I need to return this to Normal."

*searching for how to pull off an RJ costume*
Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Ah. So rounding error (there's not way it takes 1 sec to go from 0 to 2 mph). Right? Unless I'm misunderstanding you 2 to 60 in 3, or 0 to 60 in 4?

Yea I mean it takes 2 to 60 in 3ish seconds OR 0 to 60 in 4ish seconds with ATs. Really was just staying how fast it was (I think really fast) but a standing start will always take an addition second or 2 more then a rolling (even slow 2mph) start.

Bottom line FAST AF!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yea I mean it takes 2 to 60 in 3ish seconds OR 0 to 60 in 4ish seconds with ATs. Really was just staying how fast it was (I think really fast) but a standing start will always take an addition second or 2 more then a rolling (even slow 2mph) start.

Bottom line FAST AF!
Huh. That's what I thought you were saying. I was thinking 0 to 2 would be a couple of tenths.

Either way, yes. Stupid fast. Particularly for a truck. Gonna be so much fun.

btw - if you haven't, go watch Doug nearly piss himself flooring it in the Plaid. I think you'll get a chuckle out of it.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Huh. That's what I thought you were saying. I was thinking 0 to 2 would be a couple of tenths.

Either way, yes. Stupid fast. Particularly for a truck. Gonna be so much fun.

btw - if you haven't, go watch Doug nearly piss himself flooring it in the Plaid. I think you'll get a chuckle out of it.
Haha Yes!! Dougs reaction is hilarious! So I would say it probably say 5/10ths maybe 8/10ths to get traction only do the fact that they are ATs unless the traction control system is crazy could and could get it down to 4/10ths. I can probably do a bit better recording with frame by frame will try in the morning and see!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Haha Yes!! Dougs reaction is hilarious! So I would say it probably say 5/10ths maybe 8/10ths to get traction only do the fact that they are ATs unless the traction control system is crazy could and could get it down to 4/10ths. I can probably do a bit better recording with frame by frame will try in the morning and see!
Don't go chasing it down if it's just to check for me. If I cared THAT much I would too. Either way, it's fast. And looks awesome. Gonna be so fun. Like someone said, today was a good day.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Don't go chasing it down if it's just to check for me. If I cared THAT much I would too. Either way, it's fast. And looks awesome. Gonna be so fun. Like someone said, today was a good day.

Ditto as well ! I'm more about that off road rally/drift mode that looks amazing! I had scheduled a rally this past weekend but unfortunately didn't work out as the SUV didn't arrive in time but you bet I'll be taking this to my scca rallycross events!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Ditto as well ! I'm more about that off road rally/drift mode that looks amazing! I had scheduled a rally this past weekend but unfortunately didn't work out as the SUV didn't arrive in time but you bet I'll be taking this to my scca rallycross events!
Exactly! I've been trying to figure out where I can safely "offroad drift" this thing near me since the group visited Normal.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Exactly! I've been trying to figure out where I can safely "offroad drift" this thing near me since the group visited Normal.
Check to your local SCCA! Also DirtFish Rally School that's near Seattle if I recall correctly!

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

That was an interesting bit of information, surprised that did not come up in the three interviews Rivian Stories did. Especially with all of the people asking about it.
Honestly, so many of the things we've talked about here over time won't be available at this initial launch, but will be forthcoming with OTA updates. I've been trying to focus more on what it can do now. RJ and Eric both relayed that there are so many capabilities that can and will be available in the future, several of which have yet to be worked out with more that haven't even been thought up yet. The ability to add features remotely is an amazing plus that didn't exist until fairly recently, in geologic time.

While many here take OTA updates for granted, for those who have been into cars for 50+ years, this is an amazing advance. I still remember when service organizations like the Rotary, and the Elks and Moose Lodges organized community events to install seatbelts in cars. I've had two Chevys from the 60's (a Corvair and a Corvette) that didn't come with factory seat belts. In the case of the Corvair, the threaded holes were under the carpet, but the original owner passed on having the "optional" seatbelts installed. The 'Vette didn't even come with backup lights. Go figure.

The thought Rivian puts into the decisions regarding execution are quite extraordinary. Witness the conversation about the Tank-turn. Much technical thought has to go into it, but so do the ethical and safety concerns. Rivian doesn't do anything without really exploring all aspects of that move. That's one of the many reasons I love this company so much.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

It's been over three weeks and even the cat throwing up in my lap hasn't dented that smile. ?

???? Oh man thats a heck of a grin!!

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Wow, fantastic QA. Best video for info in months.

Higher nickel, next gen Samsung cells was great to hear. I still am not sold on the insurance offerings from these companies. The idea of buying a fun, fast car and having it affect your premiums kinda sucks.

Really hope they can give some sort of a timeline for V2H and not just "down the road". If its within the next year, I'd put in a reservation tomorrow over the Ford. That is such a big selling point here in PG&E land, I just really want it now.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Bottom line FAST AF!
Agree that is fast, worth noting it was full of adults and running all terrain tires. Can’t really tell, a little fuzzy through the window but the road looks like it might not be totally dry either.

I have a Tesla rated at 4.5 to 60, crazy to think I might take a third off of that.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I felt like RJ glossed over this a little bit. He talked about the tie in to Insurance but I wanted a little bit more firm answer about being able to view and download videos from the system. Maybe not from an accident.... Say I drive a cool trail and want to grab some footage.... or more of a sentry mode where the car is parked. He talked about an accident but didn't really clarify control of the footage or if it will indeed monitor the car while parked. And I agree it definitely bring's up privacy concerns for some folks if the insurance companies can just grab the data for themselves...
I know RJ did talk about the ability (at launch, or via future OTA?) to capture images when proximity sensors are triggered. Also, they will be triggered by anyone messing with the locking Gear Cable protection device in the bed. In short, additional security measures will be upgradable going forward.

As always, if any other attendees or company folks can confirm or clarify, please jump in.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Check to your local SCCA! Also DirtFish Rally School that's bear Seattle if I recall correctly!
That's awesome. Thanks!
Sponsored