Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Just got my answer from a Rivian Guide related to me *picking* up vs them *delivering* my R1S this week from Capitol Heights SC:

When we first opened Capitol Heights we were delivering vehicles, but did finally get permission to begin pickups and have since switched to that. We are located at 716 Ritchie Rd. Capitol Heights, MD 20743.
We have appointments every hour on the hour. They begin at 9am, with our last appointment being at 6pm.

FWIW, it's 72 miles from my house but I work about 50 miles from my house on the way, so I'll probably have my wife take me there and then go to work afterwards.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

Gaithersburg SC is delayed again from what I hear.
Service today said I am one of the last for Capitol Heights as they are closing and moving to Gaithersburg in 2 weeks (I drop off this Friday)

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Service today said I am one of the last for Capitol Heights as they are closing and moving to Gaithersburg in 2 weeks (I drop off this Friday)
Figures. I pick up this Friday.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sweet I guess they did get approval!

bezita

First Name
TL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport
Clubs

I was scheduled for a mid-July appointment (was told that was the earliest available) at the Gaithersburg location when service called me 3 days ago.

Sponsored

Inthedmv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Launch Green R1T
I was scheduled for a mid-July appointment (was told that was the earliest available) at the Gaithersburg location when service called me 3 days ago.
My truck is at Capitol Heights right now. FWIW the tow truck driver said Gaithersburg is opening mid-July. Hopefully I never have to go to a SC again, but if I do, Gaithersburg is only 17 miles from my house. Hella better than Richmond, or even Capitol Heights.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

Seems to be mostly in line so sounds like we’ve got decent info.

Could be they are done with customers in CH in 2 weeks with a few weeks move to Gaithersburg and the holiday.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

They messed up my appointment today at CH and next available at Gaithersburg is 25 Aug 😡

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Picked up my R1S from Capitol Heights SC today. I asked them what the deal was w/ Gaithersburg SC. Apparently, The People's Republic of Montgomery Co. permit komrads preliminarily gave approval for opening it but the SAME exact komrads then denied it during final inspection for whatever reason which caused the unexpected delay.

The 10am pickup was pretty painless given the light traffic on the Friday before a 3 day weekend. Let's just say MUCH less painless the the trek to the Brooklyn SC for the 1st Drive. ;-)

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I was told by service yesterday that Capital Heights is closed. Gaithersburg is now open.

Then I was told the earliest service appointment was Sept 15. Rivian needs to ramp up more service center capacity.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I was told by service yesterday that Capital Heights is closed. Gaithersburg is now open.

Then I was told the earliest service appointment was Sept 15. Rivian needs to ramp up more service center capacity.
I don't believe Gaithersburg is actually opened yet. Their grand opening is supposed to be July 10th according to the person I spoke to at Rivian. Perhaps service meant that they are no longer scheduling for Capitol Heights. Any customers who wanted to drop off the vehicle had to schedule at either Brooklyn or RIchmond. I have an appointment at Gaithersburg on the 19th that was moved from Richmond for my R1T to address the steering wheel off to the left issue.

Some folks scheduled service in either Brooklyn, NY or Richmond, VA. Capitol Heights is a non customer facing location (except for deliveries) so the only way to get service there was to have it towed in on a flat bed. Service told me they are trying to reschedule folks from those service centers over to Gaithersburg.

They didn't tell me this but I am guessing Rivian is trying to distribute the load somewhat here in the beginning to try and clear the backlog of service requests and reduce wait times.

Our R1S we just took delivery of on 6/27 has a couple minor fit/finish issues. That is scheduled for Gaithersburg on 9/28. I told them I don't mind waiting because the issues are non urgent and we don't want to take a slot away from someone who has a more urgent issue with their truck.

Inthedmv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Launch Green R1T
My truck was in for service at the Capitol Heights SC in the middle of June. They didn't get it finished before I went on a family vacation so it spent an additional 10 days there waiting for me to return. It got returned this morning from the Gaithersburg SC and the driver said it was open for business.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Well, apparently Gaithersburg SC is doing some home service calls as well. I'm scheduled for one on July 18th and I live about 76 miles north of the SC.