Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
My personal opinion is that large batteries in the trailer are not optimal. Also, for a family with several kids, this would not be practical. With that said, I hope that trailers do become more aerodynamic. I would prefer to see pull through charging stations become more ubiquitous.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
A trailer with a big battery might be a useful as times -however it is something I would want to rent rather than own.

But I would not put any hopes into the company that made that video. I do not believe that the people who made that video own or understand EVs.

First off, in the video they say that you can charge the trailer at the same time you charge your car. They pair that sentence with an animation showing someone charging a Tesla at a supercharger and then also charging the trailer with a J1772 cord. While some supercharger locations do have J1772's nearby, most do not. And a J1772 is not nearly powerful enough to deliver a meaningful charge in the time it would take the Tesla to supercharge. In the 30 minutes you spend fast-charging car you would probably get less than 1% into the trailer (unless the trailer has a tiny battery - and in that case it is still pointless).

And then, again that J1772 they showed. If it can't accept a fast charge there is no way it is going to deliver a fast charge. It would take a full day to charge your car from the trailer.

And they say that after charging your car and the trailer at the same time you can then use that charge on the next leg of your journey as if the trailer is somehow able to charge the car as you drive - not possible. Or that you would stop some place on the way home that didn't have power and charge the car from the trailer (too slow and there is no way it could have charged enough at the pit-stop to fill up the car anyway).

And how many RV spots don't have power? Why charge your car from the trailer when there is a power outlet right there? If it is not useful on the road - and not useful at (most) destinations, what is the point?

And they don't say how big the battery is. I am skeptical that it would be large enough meaningfully extend the range of the car. And the fact that they don't advertise the battery size for something like this is a huge giveaway.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

My personal opinion is that large batteries in the trailer are not optimal. Also, for a family with several kids, this would not be practical. With that said, I hope that trailers do become more aerodynamic. I would prefer to see pull through charging stations become more ubiquitous.
If Salida is representative of the future of the RAN, I'm guessing every location will have at least one. If they can do that in a downtown location, including them in new buildouts along open roads should be relatively easier.

And to one of your other points, it seems that more and more companies are embracing the desire for improved aerodynamics. Better mileage, obviously, but more desired by the public than the rolling shoeboxes I remember as a kid.

Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I won't pretend I know enough of the physics at work to discuss the practical effect of the extra juice v. the added weight and distributed placement of weight, but I'd have to imagine that there's some merit to the idea.

I'd be interested to see how it works in practice because if it works out, then that's incredible for adventure EVs. The trailer proposed here would increase the R1T's power availability by 56% while being fairly light (<2000lbs), which would go a very long way in mitigating the hit to aerodynamics.

That said, this particular offering comes off as a bit sketchy. All they have are shitty renders and their sales model is one where the more you pay now, the less you pay later and the better warranty they give you. For $100, the trailer will cost you 54k and come with a 1 year warranty. For $10k, the trailer will cost you 45k and come with a 3 year warranty. And there's three tiers in the middle... ?

Rivian R1T R1S New RV Designed for EVs Screenshot from 2021-08-10 23-46-41

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
A trailer with a big battery might be a useful as times -however it is something I would want to rent rather than own.

But I would not put any hopes into the company that made that video. I do not believe that the people who made that video own or understand EVs.

First off, in the video they say that you can charge the trailer at the same time you charge your car. They pair that sentence with an animation showing someone charging a Tesla at a supercharger and then also charging the trailer with a J1772 cord. While some supercharger locations do have J1772's nearby, most do not. And a J1772 is not nearly powerful enough to deliver a meaningful charge in the time it would take the Tesla to supercharge. In the 30 minutes you spend fast-charging car you would probably get less than 1% into the trailer (unless the trailer has a tiny battery - and in that case it is still pointless).

And then, again that J1772 they showed. If it can't accept a fast charge there is no way it is going to deliver a fast charge. It would take a full day to charge your car from the trailer.

And they say that after charging your car and the trailer at the same time you can then use that charge on the next leg of your journey as if the trailer is somehow able to charge the car as you drive - not possible. Or that you would stop some place on the way home that didn't have power and charge the car from the trailer (too slow and there is no way it could have charged enough at the pit-stop to fill up the car anyway).

And how many RV spots don't have power? Why charge your car from the trailer when there is a power outlet right there? If it is not useful on the road - and not useful at (most) destinations, what is the point?

And they don't say how big the battery is. I am skeptical that it would be large enough meaningfully extend the range of the car. And the fact that they don't advertise the battery size for something like this is a huge giveaway.
They have a web site that answers a lot of those questions. Might want to look at that.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just realized that their preorder accounting implies that they're expecting to sell nearly 1000 units of an extremely niche and expensive product. That's upwards of 55 million dollars in revenue... not bad for a seemingly small, niche company that looks like they got their promotional materials from fiverr.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I won't pretend I know enough of the physics at work to discuss the practical effect of the extra juice v. the added weight and distributed placement of weight, but I'd have to imagine that there's some merit to the idea.

I'd be interested to see how it works in practice because if it works out, then that's incredible for adventure EVs. The trailer proposed here would increase the R1T's power availability by 56% while being fairly light (<2000lbs), which would go a very long way in mitigating the hit to aerodynamics.

That said, this particular offering comes off as a bit sketchy. All they have are shitty renders and their sales model is one where the more you pay now, the less you pay later and the better warranty they give you. For $100, the trailer will cost you 54k and come with a 1 year warranty. For $10k, the trailer will cost you 45k and come with a 3 year warranty. And there's three tiers in the middle... ?

Screenshot from 2021-08-10 23-46-41.png
PastyPilgrim,

When you say, "this particular offering comes off as a bit sketchy.", I agree with you completely. In fact, "sketchy" may be generous. It appears that, for this company, the only place where their Marketing is even remotely close to Math is in the Dictionary. Trying to do the convoluted story problem of reconciling the numbers within:

"Your Price: $xx,xxx",
"Savings: $x,xxx",
"Down Payment: $x,xxx", and
"Savings: %xx"

seems to bring me results that don't pencil out. I'm guessing they're just exercising their rounding skills. I may be wrong, and if I am, I apologize now.

I used to sit on our office's Budget Committee. We had eight different departments. Seven always provided meticulous budgets that balanced and reconciled nicely. One department, yep, Marketing, always had dozens of footnotes that were labeled: "ANTB", with a very precise dollar amount behind the entry.

I'm guessing this isn't uncommon to many out there, but being the newest committee member, a decent Auditor by training, and an accomplished smart-ass from birth, I asked the Marketing Manager "What does the S.F.L.A. 'ANTB' stand for?" He said "What does 'S.F.L.A.' stand for?" and I said "Suspicious Four Letter Acronym'."

He rather smugly replied, " 'ANTB' stands for 'Amount Needed To Balance' ", as if I should recognize that nomenclature. I thought, "Uh, boy!". I have worked with many Marketing professionals with solid, precise budgeting skills. This was not one of them. Always wondered where he landed. PastyPilgrim may have solved that mystery.

That said, I've looked at a number of teardrop trailers, many of which are light, aerodynamic, and, as in the of some from T@B, designed for off-roading. As we draw closer to September, I'm hoping sales slow down and used units become available. Those smaller units are likely not acceptable for a family, but I can see where it will extend the camping season for those without kids into the time after kids are back in school and the weather is still decent enough to camp with a trailer. At least for singles, or couples, a teardrop may be usable without sacrificing too much range.

Any sizable battery in a trailer unit would seem to be a range-killer, just due to its wieght, unless the charge could be transferred to the tow vehicle.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I would rather have a large aux pack that slid into the gear tunnel. I know there was patents floating around a long time ago about one that went in the bed. This would be nice for long road trips but then be able to pull back out of the truck for daily driving where you didn't need the range. Think of it like carrying a large gas can of aux fuel tank in the bed.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Why. In. The. Ever. Loving. Hell...

Is the voice of the narrator mixed 100% left, but the music is perfect stereo...?

What is evening happening.
Sponsored