DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S New Road & Track R1T Feature in the Dec/Jan Double Issue Resized_20211110_221117_remastered
To cap off this wonderful day, the year-end issue of Road & Track just showed up in my mailbox tonight. They have a six-page, photo-rich article about their experience at the launch event in Breckenridge, Colorado.

The Boy Scout side of me won't allow me to post the pictures or the short article, out of respect for copyright laws. Just know that it's out there and it's another good take on the R1T. They do speak glowingly about the sportscar-worthy performance, including the wonderful suspension system that Charles and his team cooked up.

The most disturbing news to me is that they state the top speed is now capped at 110 MPH. I know I'll never need to go even that fast, but having gone 130 in one back in Normal, it felt pretty awesome. That said, I'm relatively certain that, had R&T not mentioned this limitation, I would likely never have figured it out on my own, even if I manage to drive mine 20 years and 300,000 miles.

Even so, the "rebel-without-a-clue" within me, that guy that keeps the Boy Scout in check, is bummed, and hopes this is just a typo. Oh well, I may never know if it's a mistake or a fact. (Please don't feel the need to enlighten me. I'd rather go through life thinking it can, than can't. Blissfully ignorant is OK by me. I've mastered it over a lifetime of working hard at it! ?)

Hopefully, an e-version of the article is out "in the near future".
Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I was disappointed to see the change as well and would be curious to know the reason. Both all-season and all-terrain tires are H-rated, so they're good for 130mph. While I don't plan on going that fast, I have in the past and would like that ability should I need it.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I would guess the reasons to be a combination of safety and motor longevity (keeping motor rpm well away from peak). Volvo has done the same thing with regard to safety, setting a 112 mph limit.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Resized_20211110_221117_remastered.jpeg

The most disturbing news to me is that they state the top speed is now capped at 110 MPH. I know I'll never need to go even that fast, but having gone 130 in one back in Normal, it felt pretty awesome. That said, I'm relatively certain that, had R&T not mentioned this limitation, I would likely never have figured it out on my own, even if I manage to drive mine 20 years and 300,000 miles.

Even so, the "rebel-without-a-clue" within me, that guy that keeps the Boy Scout in check, is bummed, and hopes this is just a typo. Oh well, I may never know if it's a mistake or a fact. (Please don't feel the need to enlighten me. I'd rather go through life thinking it can, than can't. Blissfully ignorant is OK by me. I've mastered it over a lifetime of working hard at it! ?)
As someone in insurance, would you say limiting the top speed to 110mph will have a meaningful impact (reduction) to insurance premiums? I’ve been worried what the cost impact will be going from a 300hp rwd F150 to an 800+HP AWD R1. Not only does the R1 have a ton more power, it also weighs 1500 lbs more —that’s a lot of kinetic energy when barreling down the highway!
Sponsored