Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford F-150
Occupation
Software Development Manager
Clubs

Thanks, Rob, this looks great! Looking forward to the order links going live.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
There will be one more STL file update prior to everything going live. I've been hard at work dialing everything in. Biggest thing right now is rolling edges a bit so it's smoother.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
The production-intent version of the Ultimate pad is on the printer now, and I want to provide a quick update on the changes.

First and foremost, I've dialed in the model. This was the biggest thing on the list as it directly impacts production speed and cost. I fully expect more advancements to the model, like the other products that I've made, but I'm pretty pleased with where this ended up.

Material needed to print the model has been reduced from about 101g to just over 95g. Print speed on my Bambu X1 Carbon has decreased from 2h 47m to 2h 34m - a reduction of 13 minutes total or 8.4%

When it comes to changes to the model, there are a few:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 1676166782043

Touchable corners have been worked over to less of a 90-degree angle. Some have been rounded. Others, like those around the custom-curved round end of the new storage area, have been very lightly chamfered.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 1676167174376

The opening for the cable from the Magsafe pad again with a rounded element at the rear of it. I was concerned about the cable rubbing againt a sharper element and it wearing in and breaching the cable over time.

The mounts at the rear of the pad have been reinforced, partially because they needed it somewhat and a bit because they looked half-baked. Now they just look 3/4 baked.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 1676167227791

The exit of the cables for when you choose to plug them into the USB-C ports in the center console have been reworked. The large opening on top of the shelf has now been moved to the back.

I still foresee that I have to work through this a little bit more (probably the last item) as I've yet to do a physical test to ensure the USB-A to USB-C adapter that comes with the JSAUX pad will fit through correctly.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 1676166637456

The mounting pegs at the rear of the model have been rounded a bit to more easily fit into the seating holes.

That it for now. Preorders will open on February 14th. I'll also be confirming a ship date soon. Newsletter subscribers will get that first. Probably be able to pre-order first too. Unlikely Rivian, I will be 100% shipping in the order that purchases are placed. :)

More pictures soon...

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hello again my dudes - I've locked the initial design for the Ultimate Pad. Here is what it looks like:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_195922

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_195207
Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_195146

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_195323

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_195256

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_195238

It will be constructed of Black PETG plastic and Black TPU rubber. The upper plastic portion has been minimized as much as possible. The TPU rubber bit is now over 4.5MM thiccc. As of right now, this will also include a blank spacer constructed of matching PETG Black plastic. The order is in for this batch, but I'm thinking that this will likely move to a low-cost optional extra in the future.

A few updates from the last post:
  • I've reworked the rear opening to ensure it clears the JSAUX USB connector.
  • I also took the opportunity to rework the rear pad brace, mainly for looks.
  • This initial run will have NO BRANDING on it. The goal is to get this produced as fast as possible, and this shaved a day. Future batches will likely have something.
The price for the kit is $35 and it will be available to order tomorrow at https://riviparts.com/products/ultimate-magsafe-charging-pad-kit. Newsletter subscribers will get an email when I activate the listing. Expected shipping is in about 3 weeks.

A few more photos showing the storage area underneath and how it looks with the default cables coming out (using an OEM Apple MagSafe pad):

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_195512

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_195550

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_195959

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
And now a bit about the Power Kit! I've locked the componentry for this as well. Here is what is included:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_200353

The kit is designed to allow your Ultimate Pad to use the factory power plug which is used by the OEM charging pad. It has enough in it for either a screw together kit or a solder together connection. The parts list is:
  • Dual port QC 3.0 USB A power supply (every sample I have is rated at 60W, 30W 12V 2.5A per port )
  • Premium 18 gauge wiring. The USB kit comes with ~22 gauge crap wiring, so I'm upgrading it.
  • A Molex 0311010040 connector and small bit of insulated shrink wrap for a solder connection.
  • A 2.54mm Terminal Block + RIVIPARTS Sleeve for a screw together connection.

Here are the bits for the solder together connection:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_200537

And the bits needed for the screw together connection:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 20230213_200518

You'll get everything in the first picture. Two quick notes:
  • As detailed in the FAQ on RIVIPARTS.com, the screw together connection will likely need to have the two little nubs bent slightly to ensure that it makes good contact. The OEM plug tolerances are a bit loose and the pointy bits on the terminal block are slightly shorter.
  • This kit has not been tested to work with other pad kits on the market. Other I've seen sit lower in the OEM pad cavity and may contact the USB module.
The kit will go for $25 when ordered with a Ultimate Pad Setup, and $35 when purchased separately. Preorders will open tomorrow and shipping will happen in about 3 weeks.

*** PLEASE NOTE: This product is likely going to be availability limited. I've proactively ordered the stock for this, but it wasn't as many as I wanted. I'm working with the vendor now to get more s00n. ***

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Preorders are live!

Expected shipping is early March.

yapaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Thank you Rob! Is there a video on how to remove the existing pad? I heard you can just pull it out? Any advice on how you removed the pad on your truck?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Thank you Rob! Is there a video on how to remove the existing pad? I heard you can just pull it out? Any advice on how you removed the pad on your truck?
Here is how you do it. Everything is 100% reversible should you want to go back to stock:

First step is to remove the rubber pad. It has four little retaining feet toward the front of the truck, at the bottom / front of the bowl, and two protrusions at the rear that are designed to slip into openings. It is also double-sided taped down.

I'd recommend pulling back the front of the front most of the rubber pad and peeling it out of the retaining feet and off of the double-sided tape - up and slightly backward.

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

Once it's off, set it aside, and move onto to the next step - removing the pad itself.

The pad is installed into a plastic assembly, and both come out together. Both are secured to the truck via three tension clips in the front, and a similar slot / opening setup (like the rubber pad) in the rear.

To remove, insert a trim tool (or similar) into one of three clips at the front of the pad and gently pull toward the rear of the truck while lifting the pad upward. In my truck, this was slightly difficult the first time - just be patient and you'll get it. One thing to note is that the clips might catch just slightly on the wood surround, so you may need to bend them back just a bit to clear it.

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

Once it's dislodged as shown in the last photo - DO NOT PULL IT AWAY. Instead, gently rotate it over and disconnect the power plug on the back.

IMG_0685.JPG

That's it! I'll have a video produced closer to launch day.

Installation is really, really simple - just put it into place and plug in the pads. If you're using the Power kit, there is a bit more to it, but it's essentially plugging screwing (or soldering) the plug together, double-stick taping it down, and then plugging it in.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Great work pre order placed and I ordered the white charge pucks from Amazon to go with my Ocean coast interior. We will see how it looks.

Sponsored

yapaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Thank you for the information Rob! Cant wait for the delivery!

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for providing the design, posting the stl, and the install details! Finally found time to try to print this, a 9 hour print for me. (Envious of your < 3 hr print). (Unfortunately, I think my nozzle developed a partial plug about 90% through, and the bottom half of the outside frame is "spongy", need to print again).

I tried out the Z-hop (or Lift Z on prusa slicer) method for adding a second color. Printed a yellow compass on my print bed, 0.6 mm thick. Left the exact corresponding space for the compass on your stl file for the magsafe pad (used tinkercad to "subtract it out). (Google "Z-hop multicolor print", if anyone wants more detail, or I can add more here)

Left the compass stuck on the print bed, then printed the magsafe pad on top of it, in the precise location where the printed compass would fill in the blank space on the magsafe pad. On the second file, I increased the lift z command in prusa slicer to 0.7 mm (2 places to change this), so that whenever the print nozzle reaches a gap in the print it raises 0.7 mm, which makes the print head raise enough to jump over the yellow compass. I left no clearance on the stl files. I've read the z-hop increase results in some stringing, but didn't have a probem . Attached a couple of pic's. I need to reprint this due to the nozzle plugage, so I didn't clean the edges from removing supports and the brim as well as I might. I think the compass will be partly hidden by the console door once this is installed,. I ordered some yellow filament that should be more opaque than the somewhat translucent yellow used here.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_0701

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_0699

Last edited:

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
Did I read it correctly, that if we don't get the wiring kit, but instead plug the jsaux or Apple pucks directly into the USB-C ports... They negotiate down to 7.5W and not the full 15W of the port?

I've noticed that when I plug a jsaux into the usb port, it does not fast charge my Android, so your findings would support that.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Did I read it correctly, that if we don't get the wiring kit, but instead plug the jsaux or Apple pucks directly into the USB-C ports... They negotiate down to 7.5W and not the full 15W of the port?

I've noticed that when I plug a jsaux into the usb port, it does not fast charge my Android, so your findings would support that.
What you've seen is correct. It's a case of the Rivian USB-C port not putting out the right mix of amps and volts. To be clear though - unless you use the OEM Apple MagSafe pad, you're limited at 7.5W regardless due to a limit in the phone itself.

The USB-A ports in the power kit are rated at 24W or 30W - more than what the JSAUX pad needs to theoretically fast-charge an Android phone. (they claim both 18W and 20W, FWIW)

At the end of the day though, true fast charging of phones depends on the model. It's a bit of a crap-shoot, but this kit is about as good as it gets in that regard.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Quick post about a question that I've been asked a few times:

Q: Does the Ultimate Charging Pad fit with a iPhone Max?

A: Hell yeah it does. This is a iPhone 14 Pro Max case. Works front to back and two installed sideways - assuming you use a reasonable case.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1290.JPG

The iPhone 14 Pro Max also fits SIDEWAYS in the new, larger storage area:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1291.JPG
Sponsored