yapaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Hi Rob, the plastic cage that holds the phone charger in place has bumpouts (not exactly sure what to call them) that the original charger will clip into. The v1 charger does not have clips and I see that it uses friction against the bumpouts to hold itself in place. I am now noticing that there does not seem to be enough friction to hold the the v1 charger in place and the front end keeps popping up. Maybe the change in season is affecting the fit for me? I believe adding clips (as in that photo above) would help greatly. That is why I am very interested in a v2 version with clips.
Sponsored

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
Great write up on all this. I was wondering it we know what the rating on the 12 volt wire we are tapping into is. How many amps can you pull from it before there will be an issue?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hi Rob, the plastic cage that holds the phone charger in place has bumpouts (not exactly sure what to call them) that the original charger will clip into. The v1 charger does not have clips and I see that it uses friction against the bumpouts to hold itself in place. I am now noticing that there does not seem to be enough friction to hold the the v1 charger in place and the front end keeps popping up. Maybe the change in season is affecting the fit for me? I believe adding clips (as in that photo above) would help greatly. That is why I am very interested in a v2 version with clips.
It has a nub that installs one of the clip locations. This is likely the biggest change to the upcoming version - making it more robust. When it's realeased, anyone who is having issues should reach out to me so I can assist. There are a few factors in play that can result in this.

Great write up on all this. I was wondering it we know what the rating on the 12 volt wire we are tapping into is. How many amps can you pull from it before there will be an issue?
We do not have a rating, and likely will never have one. Considering the number of coils in the OEM solution, it's likely quite substantial - well beyond this use case.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
It has a nub that installs one of the clip locations. This is likely the biggest change to the upcoming version - making it more robust. When it's realeased, anyone who is having issues should reach out to me so I can assist. There are a few factors in play that can result in this.

We do not have a rating, and likely will never have one. Considering the number of coils in the OEM solution, it's likely quite substantial - well beyond this use case.
Ok thank you! Before I found your thread of information. I sourced a step down converter. It outputs 5v 3.4A. I was going to run two in parallel but was nervous it might pull to many amps. I’m guessing it’s probably similar to what your using.

fluffhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
isthisrequired
Hey @RWerksman I was having fun modifying the .stl in tinkercad, but I decided to try to learn to use something a little more professional. I’ve been doing this multipart youtube tutorial for Fusion 360 and i’ve been able to do a lot with it. I know this is asking a lot, and again I appreciate you making the stls public, but is there any chance I could have it in a format that would make it easy to modify in Fusion 360? Thanks again

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hey @RWerksman I was having fun modifying the .stl in tinkercad, but I decided to try to learn to use something a little more professional. I’ve been doing this multipart youtube tutorial for Fusion 360 and i’ve been able to do a lot with it. I know this is asking a lot, and again I appreciate you making the stls public, but is there any chance I could have it in a format that would make it easy to modify in Fusion 360? Thanks again
I might be able to help. Please PM me with what you're looking for.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

As mentioned earlier, I'm working on a slight update to this product based on feedback from purchasers in the first two batches and community feedback here and on Rivian Stories.

The updates are 100% quality of life related - there are no additional features or functionality baked in here. As of right now, here is what is on the docket:
  • More pronounced latching in the front of the pad to secure it in better.
  • Very slightly thicker rings around the charging pads to eliminate breakage. (I purposefully kept them thinner than they should have been for very slightly better visuals. Lesson learned...)
  • Construction using a new, more durable material.
It's on the printer now, I'll be testing it significantly on a trip over the next few days, and I hope to have the updated STL file posted shortly. All future orders will have the tweaked design. Here is what it looks like:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit 1685140861702

One thing I do want to note is that I'm not done here. I'm actively working on a version of this for non-magsafe compatible phones. I'm hoping to have something about that in early June.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

A new model has been posted to Printables -- version 5.9. It officially includes the following changes from the production run:
  • Much more pronounced latching in the front of the pad to secure it in better. (there are new printing instructions to ensure that you won't need supports for these)
  • Completely refactored rings around the charging pads to eliminate breakage and fit better with both the JSAUX and Apple OEM pads. Prior, the rings were a bit thin for what their intended purpose which caused deformation and breakage more often than what I felt was acceptable. They are now a bit thicker. They are also slightly deeper as both pad options sat just a tiny bit proud.
  • The rear support for the pads are also gonzo. Testing showed they were both not needed and made pad installation more difficult.
Pretty inline with what was posted prior overall. Truth be told, the latching was a bit more complex than I anticipated. The one I printed for my trip this weekend was still a bit lacking. The second one I printed was the most dialed in, most secure 3d print that I've ever made in my life -- I thought I need to either break it or disassemble the entire center console to get it it. I've backed it off a bit, and I think it's absolutely perfect now.

Also - I want to make a note about the new production material. It's a special version of ABS (instead of PETG) that is stronger, more UV resistant, more weather resistant, more temperature resistant (>200° F), and prints extremely well with more matte finish which better hides layer lines. I'm very excited to use it more.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

These are actively being produced now and have started shipping to folks. I expect to have all backorders completed this week and will be re-opening ordering shortly.

As far as differences, here are some shots of the old model compared to the new one:

Updated design on the right:
Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1571

Updated design on top:
Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1573

Updated design on left:
Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1567 Copy

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

The better Latching would be really nice mine doesn't sit quite right.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Open a ticket, send a photo, and I'd be happy to replace. :)

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Same here but I'll just buy the new one to support a great product!

I am having some problems with the power coming and going, so will inspect once new one is here.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Update:

I've sort of eluded to it a few times, but I've been experimenting with different materials and and finishes over the last month or so in preparation for in-housing some of the production for OpenSource EV. I'll have a newsletter about it this upcoming week - if you're interested in hearing more about it, the subscribe link is at the bottom of OpenSourceEV.com.

Anyway, earlier today I was testing a carbon fiber containing material along with a carbon fiber pattern bed. The CF material is pretty great -- likely overkill for that applications that I would potentially use it for, but great regardless.

The CF bed, I'm a bit more mixed on. In a vacuum, I think it looks pretty dope. In the Rivian, I'm not sure it fits. My son thinks it's awesome. I told him that I would post it and see what other Rivian owners think.

So, what say you - dope or nope?

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Ultimate MagSafe Charging Pad Kit IMG_1597

Noahnamo

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Hello, I am having trouble finding the adapter to convert the power source to 2 USB C outlets- the one linked is a converter that has old school USB 1s

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T