First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Thinking about getting a budget 3D printer for occasional use. Any recommendations?
I'll second the recommendation for the Ender 3 Pro... it's auto-leveling bed feature is a huge time & frustration saver. Also, plenty of mods and aftermarket parts available for it at reasonable prices.

As @RWerksman mentioned.. anything that will reside inside a vehicle cab must be printed from PETG or better due to the high internal cabin temps during summer. Unfortunately, PETG is kind of difficult to work with until you get it dialed in (print speed/extruder temp/bed temp) for your printer, that particular brand of PLA and even that particular spool of filament. As someone starting off, I'd purchase a spool of PLA first... then graduate to PETG once you understand the process and what effect changing printing parameters have on final quality.

With all that being said, if you're the creative type of a particular mindset that enjoys building and creating things.. 3D printing can be a very engaging/rewarding hobby.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I've rebuilt carburetors and I find dialing in 3D printers more difficult than that.
I'd rather futz with finicky PETG than rebuild a Weber carb any day o_O
Never had more temperamental carbs then the POS Weber's on the X1/9's I owned.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Many thanks, all. I ordered the Ender 3 v2 S1

I think I prefer direct metal extruder.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Install GIF:

PhoneMountPro.gif

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
FYI - Coupon codes for those who want to upgrade to the PRO model have been posted on RIVIPARTS.com. It will only work if you have previously purchased a non-PRO model.

It also looks like the 17MM model will start to ship as early as tomorrow. The goal is to have all orders fulfilled in the next few days, assuming no other items that are backordered items in your order.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
The 17MM Phone Mount PRO is in stock now. All orders with these have been shipped unless they have another item backordered.

If you were waiting on placing your order until they were in stock, ready to go, now is your time.

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

👍 Very happy with this new 17mm Pro version.

IMG_1210.jpeg
Does the peak design charger come with a 17m on the back? How’d you get it attached to the ball on the mount?

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Does the peak design charger come with a 17m on the back? How’d you get it attached to the ball on the mount?
I chopped up a Peak Design charger and a Course Motorsports charger, then mated up the 17mm ball mount with epoxy. Expensive way to charge your phone but it works as intended. With enough people asking Peak Design to make this, maybe they would consider it.

Here's what the Course Motorsports charger looks like. It's made of plastic unlike the PD one. Was easy enough to take apart. I did have to take powertools to the PD charger to get a flat surface on the back. I use a PD case for my phone and really liked the PD charger look as well as the rubber surface.

I'm sure there are other, cheaper mounts that could be chopped up. Just Wireless makes one for example.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 10.13.51 AM

Last edited:

tiltedandsaltyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I chopped up a Peak Design charger and a Course Motorsports charger, then mated up the 17mm ball mount with epoxy. Expensive way to charge your phone but it works as intended. With enough people asking Peak Design to make this, maybe they would consider it.

Here's what the Course Motorsports charger looks like. It's made of plastic unlike the PD one. Was easy enough to take apart. I did have to take powertools to the PD charger to get a flat surface on the back.

I'm sure there are other, cheaper mounts that could be chopped up. Just Wireless makes one for example.

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 10.13.51 AM.png
Ouch that’s an expensive solution

Sponsored

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Thanks for putting the files up on Thingiverse RW!

I'm printing the 1" Pro mount using 50% infill.. I know that's probably overkill, do you have any recommendations for infill value?

Thanks!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Yep, I recommend 20% infill honeycomb pattern.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
To make sure I measure correctly. How do I know what size I need for it to be compatible with my current mount?

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
FYI - Coupon codes for those who want to upgrade to the PRO model have been posted on RIVIPARTS.com. It will only work if you have previously purchased a non-PRO model.

It also looks like the 17MM model will start to ship as early as tomorrow. The goal is to have all orders fulfilled in the next few days, assuming no other items that are backordered items in your order.

@RWerksman Any chance we can get a modified 17mm model developed to move the ball mount 2” higher up so those using a MagSafe pad/iPhone can see the screen above the steering wheel?

I have loaded the model into Fusion 360, but the learning curve is steep, so I'm reaching out instead. Basically and a rectangular solid on top of the cross member so you can ungroup and slide the ball and stem up 2" onto this newly added solid rectangular support.

Many Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited: