Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hello my dudes!

Today I'd like to officially announce the RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO. STL files have been posted for it NOW, and the 17MM Model is available for purchase TODAY at the same price as the Cell Phone Ball Mount V2 - $13.50. Shipments will start the second week of November. The 1" one version will be coming at a later date.

Buy Link - https://riviparts.com/#phonepro

The cell phone ball mount has been on sale on RIVIPARTS for the last few months. I've gone through 4 different restocks of it so far, and the feedback has been pretty good overall. A Youtuber and member here (@branden - please subscribe to his channel here as they are pretty great!) even called it part of, "The Best Rivian Phone Mount Available Today". To say I was humbled is an understatement.

That said, I think it can be even better. Thanks to the feedback that I've received from a bunch of owners, and some hands on feedback from few testers (thank you!!) I've updated the design in the following ways:
  1. There is now a significant larger, slightly angled contact area with the rear of the infotainment screen. This results in a more secure fit with less wobble, especially when offroad.
  2. The ball mount being moved slightly upward and toward the center of the vehicle for less obstruction from the steering wheel. It doesn't completely remove the obstruction, but does make it incrementally better.
  3. Enhanced ergonomics of the ball to allow phone holders to get a better, more secure grip. This is a universal bomb out, and some AliExpress outliers now grip a bit better.
  4. Tweaked design for faster, easier, printing. (despite more material in the design - this allows us to keep the same price)
  5. A reduction in inlayed branding. (no more MK or size labels, the naming is ever so slightly smaller, and nothing continues to be visible when installed)
A few photos of the prototypes:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO IMG_0903.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO IMG_0904.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO IMG_0887.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO IMG_0890.JPG

Overall, I would classify this as an evolutionary upgrade to an already good product. I'm updating the naming of the product due to the change in visible appearance and better capability in more aggressive driving scenarios like racing or off-roading. A few additional notes in no particular order:
  • If you are interested in the 1" Ball Mount version of this - it's coming. Despite it being shown here, I'm working through some production issues and hope to have an announcement about availability shortly. The existing 1" model is still on sale.
  • If you already have a 17MM ball mount, and it's working great for you, there is no reason at all to upgrade. If you still want to upgrade, message me on RIVIPARTS and you can have the new version at half price.
  • If you have a backorder which includes a 17MM ball mount and want to get the new version instead, message me on RIVIPARTS and I'll swap you over to it at no charge. This might delay your back order until they arrive though. (which should only be a week, worst case)
  • If you have a 3D printer, I strongly encourage you to print your own. The links to the STL files are linked in my signature.
  • If you have a reasonably sized YouTube channel, Twitter or whatever that mentions Rivian (paging @branden and @Snazzy Labs - love your R1S review, btw) message me and I'll send over a few things, including one of these. My hope is that stuff like this will help get more attention to the Rivian aftermarket in general, which benefits us all as owners.
As always - your feedback is very, very welcome. (good, bad, or otherwise) That's how this update was made, how the MagSafe Pad Replacement was developed, the Aux CupHolder was pushed into production, and how the Seatback Tablet Holder is being revised for an upcoming release.
Sponsored

branden

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - many EVs in past
Occupation
EV charging deployment
Hello my dudes!

Today I'd like to officially announce the RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO. STL files have been posted for it NOW, and the 17MM Model is available for purchase TODAY at the same price as the Cell Phone Ball Mount V2 - $13.50. Shipments will start the second week of November. The 1" one version will be coming at a later date.

The cell phone ball mount has been on sale on RIVIPARTS for the last few months. I've gone through 4 different restocks of it so far, and the feedback has been pretty good overall. A Youtuber and member here (@branden - please subscribe to his channel here as they are pretty great!) even called it part of, "The Best Rivian Phone Mount Available Today". To say I was humbled is an understatement.

That said, I think it can be even better. Thanks to the feedback that I've received from a bunch of owners, and some hands on feedback from few testers (thank you!!) I've updated the design in the following ways:
  1. There is now a significant larger, slightly angled contact area with the rear of the infotainment screen. This results in a more secure fit with less wobble, especially when offroad.
  2. The ball mount being moved slightly upward and toward the center of the vehicle for less obstruction from the steering wheel. It doesn't completely remove the obstruction, but does make it incrementally better.
  3. Enhanced ergonomics of the ball to allow phone holders to get a better, more secure grip. This is a universal bomb out, and some AliExpress outliers now grip a bit better.
  4. Tweaked design for faster, easier, printing. (despite more material in the design - this allows us to keep the same price)
  5. A reduction in inlayed branding. (no more MK or size labels, the naming is ever so slightly smaller, and nothing continues to be visible when installed)

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

Overall, I would classify this as an evolutionary upgrade to an already good product. I'm updating the naming of the product due to the change in visible appearance and better capability in more aggressive driving scenarios like racing or off-roading. A few additional notes in no particular order:
  • If you are interested in the 1" Ball Mount version of this - it's coming. Despite it being shown here, I'm working through some production issues and hope to have an announcement about availability shortly. The existing 1" model is still on sale.
  • If you already have a 17MM ball mount, and it's working great for you, there is no reason at all to upgrade. If you still want to upgrade, message me on RIVIPARTS and you can have the new version at half price.
  • If you have a backorder which includes a 17MM ball mount and want to get the new version instead, message me on RIVIPARTS and I'll swap you over to it at no charge. This might delay your back order until they arrive though. (which should only be a week, worst case)
  • If you have a 3D printer, I strongly encourage you to print your own. The links to the STL files are linked in my signature.
  • If you have a reasonably sized YouTube channel, Twitter or whatever that mentions Rivian (paging @branden and @Snazzy Labs - love your R1S review, btw) message me and I'll send over a few things, including one of these. My hope is that stuff like this will help get more attention to the Rivian aftermarket in general, which benefits us all as owners.
As always - your feedback is very, very welcome. (good, bad, or otherwise) That's how this update was made, how the MagSafe Pad Replacement was developed, the Aux CupHolder was pushed into production, and how the Seatback Tablet Holder is being revised for an upcoming release.
This is fantastic! You have my address ;)

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Will you have the new design file so we can download it?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
does this version (17mm) with the recommended spigen onetap work ok with a 14promax, or should i wait for the 1 inch one and get a bigger holder?

Sponsored

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Can you show a pic of the old and new mount side by side? Trying to see if it's worth it to get the new mount. I just received the old one last week! Bad timing on my part, but been enjoying it!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
does this version (17mm) with the recommended spigen onetap work ok with a 14promax, or should i wait for the 1 inch one and get a bigger holder?
I'd suspect it would, but I'm not 100% certain as the 14 Pro Max is a big boy. if anyone out there is hanging a 13 Max off of one of these, that should be close enough.

Can you show a pic of the old and new mount side by side? Trying to see if it's worth it to get the new mount. I just received the old one last week! Bad timing on my part, but been enjoying it!
I can do this - pics shortly. My initial reaction would be to keep what you have if you generally like it. This is different, but not tremendously so.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
As requested:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO IMG_0915.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO IMG_0916.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Cell Phone Ball Mount PRO IMG_0917.JPG

BTW - the move to the right is about 3MM total. This is about as far over as I think it can move due to the curvature of the dash about it.

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Solutions Architect / Developer
Clubs

Hello my dudes!

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Solutions Architect / Developer
Clubs

Ordered - nice

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Would definitely like to upgrade my original to the pro (will send a message). I have noticed my original tilting downward a little when the phone is hung on it. This looks like this should stop that.

Thanks again for taking the time to develop these products.

dilmorecg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Rivian R1T, '19 Raptor, '15 Porsche 911 GTS
Shoot. I just ordered one last week in anticipation of my truck arriving in a few weeks. Nice to see new revisions already though. I was planning on getting one for my S too when it comes in a few months.

First Name
KaMar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 435i
Occupation
Education Program Manager

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Thinking about getting a budget 3D printer for occasional use. Any recommendations?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is super exciting! I have a Peak Design case for my Pixel 7 and was wondering if your phone mount (17MM vs 1" model) will work with the Peak Design Charging Car Mount. Curious to hear your thoughts.

https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/mobile/products/car-mount
That's a really good question that I unfortunately don't have the answer to. It looks like it uses a pretty stock 17MM ball mount. If you have one, here is what I recommend:
  1. Measure the ball. Is it right around 17mm? Is it more or less round?
  2. Look at the mount on the back of phone holder. Does it have a way to secure down?
If the answers to the above are yes, then it's likely to work. If it's larger or smaller, has really pronounced indents in the ball, or is just friction fit, the answer is likely no.

Thinking about getting a budget 3D printer for occasional use. Any recommendations?
I started with an Ender 3 V2 - that's a really common one. I now have a Bambu X1 Carbon, which is more expensive, faster, but more easy to deal with.

Be warned though - 3D printing is REALLY finicky. I've rebuilt carburetors and I find dialing in 3D printers more difficult than that. PLA is the easiest material to print with, but it's unsuitable for anything but general household prints. PETG or ABS are much more durable, but the former is notoriously difficult to dial in and the later emits noxious gasses when printing with it.
Sponsored