Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Surprised/glad to see two in central New York.
Sponsored

Utecitec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3
That's unfortunate. They have me surrounded, but nothing closer that 4-6 hours away.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Oklahoma gets two SC and New Mexico gets none?! Come on Rivian! There is way more ā€œadventureā€ in New Mexico šŸ˜œ
It seems like New Mexico is one of the states that prohibits Rivian from setting up a service center. Tesla got around it by placing their service center and showroom on tribal land so maybe Rivian needs more time to do the same (or perhaps they can't due to an agreement Tesla already has).

Edit: NM statute 57-16-5(v) reads: "It is unlawful for any manufacturer, distributor or representative to: ...be licensed as a dealer or perform warranty or other service or own an interest, directly or indirectly, in a person licensed as a dealer or performing warranty or other service; provided that a manufacturer or distributor may own a person licensed as a dealer for a reasonable time in order to dispose of an interest acquired as a secured party or as part of a dealer development program;"

So yea, they can't even set up a service center that doesn't include sales.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
From the Rivian S-1 filing (dated 1 Oct 2021 - this is not new information):

... 28 states restrict our ability to obtain a dealer license to sell within those states. Such states are Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. With respect to owning and operating a physical warranty service location, the restrictions are substantially fewer. Only eight states prohibit us, as a manufacturer, from directly or indirectly owning or operating a service center providing warranty service. Those states are Alabama, Louisiana, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and West Virginia.

emphasis mine.

That "directly or indirectly owning or operating" clause is a killer. That means they probably can't contract this out either. If you're in one of those 8 states, then your local government is the reason for your frustration.

Last edited:

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Oklahoma gets two SC and New Mexico gets none?! Come on Rivian! There is way more ā€œadventureā€ in New Mexico
See what I said in #16. The same applies to New Mexico, where Rivian service centers are prohibited by law.

Come on Rivian? You mean come on New Mexico, join us here in the twentieth century ...

Sponsored

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

Rivian provided the following in their S-1 filing last year on page 139, for those wondering why their state might be missing a Service Center and what they should expect for Service of their Rivian as a result:

With respect to owning and operating a physical warranty service location, the restrictions are substantially fewer. Only eight states prohibit us, as a manufacturer, from directly or indirectly owning or operating a service center providing warranty service. Those states are Alabama, Louisiana, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and West Virginia.
And:

With respect to service, we are prohibited from providing warranty service from an established location within the eight states identified above. Service for customers residing in those states would be from a mobile unit dispatched from a licensed service location in a nearby state where direct warranty service is allowed or by that customer driving their Rivian vehicle (or having it towed) to a state which allows us to have a physical service location and perform warranty service activities.

As we expand our commercial footprint in the U.S., state and federal automobile dealer trade associations have challenged the legality of our operations in court and used administrative and legislative processes to attempt to prohibit or limit our ability to operate or expand locations. Though such efforts have largely failed in prohibiting or further limiting our operations to date, we expect dealer associations to continue to mount challenges. We also expect dealer associations to actively lobby state administrators and legislators to interpret laws or enact new laws in ways not favorable to Rivianā€™s ownership and operation of its own retail and service locations. We intend to actively fight any such efforts to limit our ability to operate, as well as proactively undertake efforts to open states currently closed to our business model. In fact, in 2020 we succeeded in a two-year long effort to open up the state of Colorado to direct sales and service by manufacturers that produce only EVs and have not entered into the franchise dealer system. In 2021, we similarly succeeded in a legislative effort to confirm the permissibility of our sales and service model in the state of Vermont in a bill that was signed into law earlier this year. In 2021, we also successfully fended off attacks in the states of Florida, Idaho and Oklahoma to limit or restrict our ability to conduct sales or service.
If you live in one of the eight states listed above and want to see a Service Center in your state, start contacting your local representatives!

Cogentfire

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
HONDA
Occupation
Scientist
See what I said in #16. The same applies to New Mexico, where Rivian service centers are prohibited by law.

Come on Rivian? You mean come on New Mexico, join us here in the twentieth century ...
Yes, thanks for posting that law language; it is obviously bias and shouldnā€™t be a law any longer.

jphillips97

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
This is awesome, one of my concerns was service, and while Orlando isn't too far away (~2 hours), something in the Jacksonville area would be better and *boom*, there it is:

1670363123592.png
As a fellow Floridian, it kind of sucks (and by that I mean really sucks) that they are putting 5 service centers in the Pennisula and none in the panhande.... Need one in Pensacola or Mobile

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

they need more service centers in NJ. There are a few Rivians in my town alone and the closest service center is in Brooklyn, 2 hours away.

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

4 Service Centers and 1 RAN charger. How does that make sense?
The 75 corridor to Michigan absolutely needs at least 2 chargers.
I would say that maybe they are neglecting that route due to ample EA locations but nope, that isn't it at all. It's a deadzone from Dayton to Michigan

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

As a fellow Floridian, it kind of sucks (and by that I mean really sucks) that they are putting 5 service centers in the Pennisula and none in the panhande.... Need one in Pensacola or Mobile
I totally appreciate your frustration, but itā€™s pretty clear Rivian is applying sound business sense by prioritizing service center location build outs based on where likely $80,000+ Rivian buyers are concentrated.

This absence on the Florida panhandle doesnā€™t appear to be solely a Rivian conclusion. For example, ā€œluxury adventureā€ maker Land Roverā€˜s US website shows they have 18 Land Rover dealerships in the state of Florida today and none of their dealerships are located on the panhandle ā€”- and this is a well-established vehicle manufacturer. Their site indicates the closest Land Rover dealership to Destin Florida is in Mobile AL, about 100 miles away.

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
I would say that maybe they are neglecting that route due to ample EA locations but nope, that isn't it at all. It's a deadzone from Dayton to Michigan
Unless Tesla opens their network it is totally dead. I understand that 75 is one of the busiest highways in the nation.
I guess living in Cincinnati, I will fully charge and hope I can make the EA station in Ann Arbor.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

From the Rivian S-1 filing (dated 1 Oct 2021 - this is not new information):

... 28 states restrict our ability to obtain a dealer license to sell within those states. Such states are Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. With respect to owning and operating a physical warranty service location, the restrictions are substantially fewer. Only eight states prohibit us, as a manufacturer, from directly or indirectly owning or operating a service center providing warranty service. Those states are Alabama, Louisiana, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and West Virginia.

emphasis mine.

That "directly or indirectly owning or operating" clause is a killer. That means they probably can't contract this out either. If you're in one of those 8 states, then your local government is the reason for your frustration.
The interesting thing is that even though NJ was listed as a state they couldnā€™t open in they are planning a SC near Trenton.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The interesting thing is that even though NJ was listed as a state they couldnā€™t open in they are planning a SC near Trenton.
I also noticed those NJ planned service centers seemed to conflict with the Rivian S-1 disclosure. I couldnā€™t find anything online suggesting there has been a legislative change in NJ. Any NJ forum members able to clarify?

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I would imagine service centers are set based on complicated demographics as well as preorder interest. It would be nice to see a Rivian location in the panhandle one day, but until then you're welcome to visit us in Jax any time - lots of Rivian folks here. Looks like the Jax location (or at least the placeholder on the map) is right off I-10 on the west side of town, should be a good hub for both unloading new trucks coming from the CSX rail terminal and for serving mobile service units headed to the panhandle or north into GA.
Sponsored