Sponsored

New Rivian 21" Wheel Caps Came in and Where's the QC?

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Time for some paint thinner

OP
OP

netjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
It's not just the yellow on the chrome, even the chrome has aberrations around the fringes.

Last edited:

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I thought this was going to be a '...and only 1 cap came' post. I did that mistake but thankfully caught it the minute I placed the order.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Request replacements. Seeing as they are charging a lot for this piece of plastic (which should’ve come with the vehicle anyway) they should be pristine

Sponsored

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
I’m confused…this is a piece of plastic that goes on the wheel of your adventure vehicle. This shouldn’t even be a thought in your radar, it’s a truck.

OP
OP

netjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I’m confused…this is a piece of plastic that goes on the wheel of your adventure vehicle. This shouldn’t even be a thought in your radar, it’s a truck.
Assuming that logic, why don't I just buy the $7 amazon cap and $14 logo decal?

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I ordered 5 the day they were available on the gear shop and they do not look like this...

OP
OP

netjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
In the recent batch from a couple days ago or way earlier? I just bought from the recent batch.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
They were manufactured on a Monday or Friday😁

Hangover Monday and minds are drifting on Friday thinking about the weekend.

Sponsored

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
I thought this was going to be a '...and only 1 cap came' post. I did that mistake but thankfully caught it the minute I placed the order.
Aaaand thanks for that. I bought one. Just added 3 more. They're 20 bucks each!!! F me.

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
It's $3,700 for the set of 4 tires and wheels, they should be pretty much perfect. I agree its a truck but that is pretty bad painting on those wheel centers.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Assuming that logic, why don't I just buy the $7 amazon cap and $14 logo decal?
But these are plastic caps, not the wheels. If the very minor paint flaw in a plastic center cap on your wheels is a concern you bought the wrong vehicle. I know a lot of early adopters are just buying because the R1's look cool but these are adventure vehicles in the same vein as 4Runner, Wrangler, Gladiator, Tacoma, Raptor, Bronco, etc. Get out there and enjoy your truck, you will be scuffing wheels before you know it!

It's $3,700 for the set of 4 tires and wheels, they should be pretty much perfect. I agree its a truck but that is pretty bad painting on those wheel centers.
Danny, OP has the stock 21's, not the $3700 20's with A/T's. Besides if the camera has to be this close to see the flaws once they are actually on the wheels you won't even be able to notice.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
But these are plastic caps, not the wheels. If the very minor paint flaw in a plastic center cap on your wheels is a concern you bought the wrong vehicle. I know a lot of early adopters are just buying because the R1's look cool but these are adventure vehicles in the same vein as 4Runner, Wrangler, Gladiator, Tacoma, Raptor, Bronco, etc. Get out there and enjoy your truck, you will be scuffing wheels before you know it!

Danny, OP has the stock 21's, not the $3700 20's with A/T's. Besides if the camera has to be this close to see the flaws once they are actually on the wheels you won't even be able to notice.
I am gonna have to agree and disagree with you here. Yes chances are your wheels will get scuffed if you're going to use this as an adventure vehicle. With that said these caps are 20 dollars EACH and as such shouldn't have these sorts of defects. Some dude with a can of spray paint and a 3D printer could and has snapped off better quality ones than this already.

By your logic chances are if you off-road your truck you're going to get dents so who cares if your truck comes all smashed up right? You just got a head start right? I agree that some people are overly nit picky on this forum and complain about non issues. This isn't one of them, the level of quality here is simply unacceptable.

I wouldn't accept this workmanship out of my 12 year old for a school project.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
I am gonna have to agree and disagree with you here. Yes chances are your wheels will get scuffed if you're going to use this as an adventure vehicle. With that said these caps are 20 dollars EACH and as such shouldn't have these sorts of defects. Some dude with a can of spray paint and a 3D printer could and has snapped off better quality ones than this already.

By your logic chances are if you off-road your truck you're going to get dents so who cares if your truck comes all smashed up right? You just got a head start right? I agree that some people are overly nit picky on this forum and complain about non issues. This isn't one of them, the level of quality here is simply unacceptable.

I wouldn't accept this workmanship out of my 12 year old for a school project.
There's a big difference in truck QA/QC and these wheel inserts/caps, that logic doesn't track. These are plastic and the paint could have been scuffed in shipping.

I just think people on this forum are very different from the type of people that would typically buy an adventure vehicle. I'm not trying to dissuade someone from buying a Rivian, just stating that we all have very different priorities.
Sponsored