New R1T tailgate patent?!?

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Seems like the 180 tailgate with built-in step points is a cleaner solution.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Not a fan of whatever that is. I switched from R1T to R1S in part because of the limited truck bed functionality - that isn’t an improvement.

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Bring back the original folding gate.

Sponsored

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
I agree with those saying you'd rather see the whole tailgate fold down than this option. That would be more convenient for being able to access things in the bed, like bags of mulch.

I actually think I would be more likely to use the gear tunnel door to step into the bed than this fold down tailgate area, because with the gear tunnel you can hold onto the side of the cab to steady yourself as opposed to this mid-gate design; I realize that would involve swinging a leg over the side of the bed, so not everyone would prefer that. Some other manufacturers have a handle that pops up on the tailgate for the reason of having a handhold while climbing in the bed. Might have been better to have a step towards the side so you can grab the sidewall of the truck bed.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
interesting , but not sure if the complexity and potential for rattling etc is worth any marginal gains in functionality. I'm sure Rivian's best and brightest are mulling the pros and cons tho , just like the Apple Car Play feature.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I truly don’t understand some of these insanely complicated tailgate designs that are advertised now. If the main goal is to be able to reach things in the bed (vs stepping into the bed), then the Honda Ridgeline design is perfect. You can lower it like a regular tailgate or swing it out like a door, allowing you to reach the front of the bed easily. So, my advice to Rivian is just steal Honda’s design and name it something fresh, like “multigate” or “dualgate” or “Watergate”… anything will do.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Should patent the design of a removable folding tailgate that fits in the gear tunnel!

I'm with you, these crazy tailgates just seem to be poorly engineered gimmicks, at least for my use.
Sponsored