Sponsored

New R1S owners, please enlighten us on insurance coverage

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
FWIW I tried to check out Connect by Amfam and they aren't writing new policies (or maybe taking new policy holders) in the great state of California at this time...

These weren't rock-solid per my broker, but my Mercury Insurance would be $800/6 months for my 64.5 Mustang & Polestar 2, and $1,805/6 months if I added the R1S to the mix, so about $1k/six months with a multi-vehicle discount for the R1S. Time for me to shop around.
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Seems odd that Rivian has proof of Insurance so early in the 8-Step. I mean its very peculiar to obtain insurance on a VIN for a vehicle without a firm delivery date. I know going with Rivian's Nationwide avoids that situation. But their instant offer amount is very unattractive.

I picked from the R1S shop yesterday. Immediately that started the 8-Step. RIvian's quote is definitely higher than what current insurer is going to charge me. But you have to submit proof of insurance with the VIN. Don't have a delivery date, it just says upcoming. So do I ask for insurance to start on say June 1 and adjust it as circumstances warrant? Will an auto insurance company setup a policy that starts several days after informing them?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Seems odd that Rivian has proof of Insurance so early in the 8-Step. I mean its very peculiar to obtain insurance on a VIN for a vehicle without a firm delivery date. I know going with Rivian's Nationwide avoids that situation. But their instant offer amount is very unattractive.

I picked from the R1S shop yesterday. Immediately that started the 8-Step. RIvian's quote is definitely higher than what current insurer is going to charge me. But you have to submit proof of insurance with the VIN. Don't have a delivery date, it just says upcoming. So do I ask for insurance to start on say June 1 and adjust it as circumstances warrant? Will an auto insurance company setup a policy that starts several days after informing them?
You do not need to go in order on the 8 steps. I did the steps that made sense but cut the check for the vehicle and got the insurance the day before I took delivery.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red

You just need to show you have insurance. Not obtain it for the Rivian. I just scanned by current insurance card.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

You just need to show you have insurance. Not obtain it for the Rivian. I just scanned by current insurance card.
When was this? They accepted insurance card for Not the Rivian?

I tried that March 2022 and it was rejected, was told it must have the VIN on it.

Sponsored

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Connect by American family was $424/6mo for me in Oregon, multiple vehicles on policy and I bundled with other insurance.

TuggyTooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Silverado LBZ, 2023 Rivian R1S LE FG/FE
Occupation
Military
I'm at about $1,300/6m for the R1S with farmers in San Antonio after all discounts. Definitely going to shop around.

Premiums are out of control with all the uninsured and foreign drivers in the area.

Tmack7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,Subaru Ascent
I tried selecting uninsured property damage coverage through Rivian and it blocked me. I have to call Monday. This was odd, I see it as a must with this vehicle. It was weird it wasn’t auto selected like other things. And then making it difficult to sign up for.

KRo

First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22’ R1T, 22", RBlue, OCoast, no Tonneau
Occupation
Business owner
I have a teen driver at home (soon to be two) … you do NOT want to know my insurance rate for my R1T…. Lol

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I was quoted $1050 annually to add to my bundled insurance policy with Erie. I thought it would be higher. I have a good, clean driving and claim history - and no kids at home, lol - so I guess that helped.

They said they will print an insurance card at anytime to prove coverage.

Sponsored

buddha2lotus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
Occupation
physician
Mine is about 810/6 months with 2500 deductible and bundled with my daughter's car and house, almost 400 dollars/6 months cheaper than GEICO (my previous insurer)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
We’ll take delivery of our R1S soon hopefully. The other car is a Model Y.

Rivian/Nationwide quoted us $853/6 months for 2 cars (100k/300k) when bundled with homeowner insurance. It is actually $80 cheaper than our current provider Allstate. We’re in Chicago suburb.

Neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Expedition Max LTD, 2020 Volvo XC60
I have a teen driver at home (soon to be two) … you do NOT want to know my insurance rate for my R1T…. Lol
Now you're scaring me. I am in the same boat, two tens who have a license in 6 months then about 12 months - fortunately older one started later. I am still to get my truck, but it is confirmed from the shop at this point...

KRo

First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22’ R1T, 22", RBlue, OCoast, no Tonneau
Occupation
Business owner
Now you're scaring me. I am in the same boat, two tens who have a license in 6 months then about 12 months - fortunately older one started later. I am still to get my truck, but it is confirmed from the shop at this point...
Well - went through the last few meesages on this thread, and perhaps it's just high to ME, as the Rivian is the most premium vehicle I have owned, but seems on par with some othe posts above.

I'm at $1862 12-months ($931 6-months) at 100k/300k coverage, $500/$500 deductables. Lots of discounts (Loyalty, multi-product, also cover my business with them, no claims, good driving, etc) and the teen driver has Good Student discount as well. American Family Insurance.

Got the Rivian and the teen driver added about the same time, so I crapped my pants... lol. The '14 Mazda 6 GT dedicated to the teen driver is HIGHER than the Rivian, however. Our '22 Kia Niro EV EXP is about $400 less than the Rivian over 12-months.

Hope this doesn't scare you off... ;)

Dave711

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S,Tesla Model YP, Lexus SC430, Passat VR6
Clubs

My wife's tesla model YP was about 1,500 and the R1S about 1k with 1k deductible, bundled at AAA.
Sponsored