Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Software
Clubs

can you please gives us as much feedback on the Rivian Insurance coverage/rates/etc?

is it required?
how much is it?

Thank you
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
can you please gives us as much feedback on the Rivian Insurance coverage/rates/etc?

is it required?
how much is it?

Thank you
It is not required to go with Rivian/Nationwide, if that was your question.

My quote for two drivers came up to around $150/mo, which I found reasonable compared to quotes I was seeing for one driver on my previous still current vehicle ($120/mo).

Last edited:

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
My R1S, delivered 23 SEPT, is $862/6mo ($143/mo). This is State Farm (Garrett Callaway agent), in the Denver Metro.

Cbarwick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR Sport Supercharged, Jaguar F-TypeR, AMG GT Conv
I'm waiting for delivery, hopefully in a couple of weeks. I compared Rivian quote to Geico. Geico was slightly lower, so was just easier to stay with Geico. Rivian warned me that Geico "typically sets their policies up to pay out on an actual cash value basis. This is not the same as replacement cost coverage, and this type of policy doesn't allow for betterment - meaning you'd be limited to the original MSRP of the Rivian in the event of a total loss, as opposed to the cost to replace it with a similar vehicle."

Because I have had my order in since August, 2019 ... could be a problem if the Rivian got totaled and the only honor my original price. Need to call Geico to investigate ... anyone else dealt with this?

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
Was easy enough to have Rivian quote, just a couple of clicks in the 8 step process. Rivian quoted more for me than my bundled coverage with State Farm, so I stayed with them.

As I recall it was a significant difference for me for some reason. Along the lines of $300/yr more.

During 8 steps there's a clear button to accept or separate button to go with your own - and upload info. Also of note - at any point in time during the 8 steps if you change your mind on how you want to move forward; you ned only talk to your guide who can reset the option or change info.

Was easy enough to get the Rivian covered ( assuming you have a VIN assigned ) - then insurer sends you a digital copy of the insurance card. Uploaded during 8 steps.

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I took delivery without a firm price from State Farm. I replaced my existing vehicle and all they could quote was based on MSRP the R1S should cost the same or less than the Model X. My agent does not appear to have the R1S in their system yet, and simply quoted it as a Rivian without specifying the model. Rivian's insurance was going to be similarly priced but with higher deductibles, and would have required me to move my homeowner's insurance as well at a slightly increased cost in order to maintain the auto discount.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe -> Audi e-tron
Occupation
Counselor
I just received a quote from my Farmer's agent here in SoCal and almost fell out of my chair:

$1,364 per 6 months with a $1,000 deductibel!

Any of my SoCal folks got other options/alternatives?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I just received a quote from my Farmer's agent here in SoCal and almost fell out of my chair:

$1,364 per 6 months with a $1,000 deductibel!

Any of my SoCal folks got other options/alternatives?
I haven’t had to get a quote yet, but did you try ACSC/AAA? If you already have a membership they tend to be competitive based on past experience.

Tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe -> Audi e-tron
Occupation
Counselor
Good idea. Thanks. We have AAA so I will reach out. I have a call into Rivian Insurance to see what kind of quote they provide.

Sponsored

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
I haven't taken delivery yet, but I did a quote with Progressive replacing a 2010 Prius that is currently on the policy (no other changes to levels of coverage or the other vehicles / drivers on the policy) and it added ~$1300 to our current annual premium (roughly double the current annual premiums).

While that's a large increase, it seems somewhat reasonable to me considering that the value of the R1S is somewhere in the ballpark of 900% higher than the Prius (not to mention 830HP vs the go-kart motor in the Prius).

I plan on shopping around all of the major providers to reprice our entire policy once it's time to take delivery of the R1S and see what makes sense from there.

MD Waits

First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover. Escalade.
Rivian/Nationwide. IL Chicago area. 3 drivers. $156/mo. $0 deductible. I unfortunately am in the process of using the windshield replacement option ($0 full replacement). Caveat is I have to pay, then insurance company reimburses me. This is due to only Rivian being able to do the replacement and calibration. The rep was extremely responsive to my claim w great info and direct contact info was given. A friend at Rivian recommended staying with Rivian/nationwide insurance for at least 6-12 months as Rivian/Nationwide are most prepared to deal with any Rivian specific early adopter issues. I kept my other policies separate, in case any future Rivian insurance claims alter my combined policies and/or insurability. I strongly recommend Rivian/Nationwide. Hope that helps.

Rivian R1T R1S New R1S owners, please enlighten us on insurance coverage A59E55F9-CBDE-405D-87DB-D48930740AA2

Jemel

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I went with Rivian for insurance as well. $730/6mo here in NY. My original insurer, Allstate, wanted $1075/6mo (and I only ever had one claim with them way back in 2011, and one speeding ticket in my entire driving career of 25 years). As it is they are eating $1200/6mo for my Model 3, which I will be selling in the very near future. Once I sell that I will probably bring my homeowners under Rivian.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Pointless thread. Insurance rates will vary widely based on package discounts, age, location, coverage options. I can get insurance for my car for $86 per month but I pay $350. Why? Because I have a custom plan that maxes out coverage options beyond what is even offered in online quotation tools. Heck, even a neighboring town will have different rates than my own just based on garage location. What would be more of interest is to hear what car was removed and the % impact it caused to have Rivian added. That is likely to demonstrate on a more meaningful level what is the impact.
Sponsored