Sponsored

Tibi

First Name
S.L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X
I just took delivery of my R1S last week (RB on MB interior, 20 AT). My husband has had an R1T for 8 months. So we are now a full Rivian family :). We’ve used this forum a lot for information and appreciated all the reviews. So I wanted to share our experience.

We‘ve taken the T on snow, long road trips (WA -> OR ->CA)… and found it an amazing car… except that we have two kids and two big golden retrievers so the R1S was a must for us. We both enjoy driving, have had Audis (A3, Q5, SQ5, Q7) and Tesla Model X.

I was a bit concerned because I read some reviews finding the R1S not to be as good of a drive as the R1T. Honestly, I am loving my R1S. I find it smooth, easy to drive, turning really well. In fact, we find it less « bouncy » than the R1T - not that it is an issue with the R1T. The kids in the back (my daughter has an adult size) were very comfortable. It feels as sporty as the R1T feels (We haven’t tested it off roads). For families, the storage in the R1S is amazing - already did a weekend trip, and since we have the two big dogs in the trunk, we used the storage below the trunk (spare tire area) and the frunk and there was quite a bit of space to spare.
We drove 214 miles from the east side of Seattle to Cannon Beach OR, and leaving with 100% battery, we arrived at destination with 18% left. Drove it using all purpose mode.

Compared to the Tesla X- while this is an amazing car for HWY driving and I am one who actually liked the yoke, I had mixed feelings about the falcon doors. But what I love about the R1S is the height of the car, the fun/sporty feeling of the drive… I have no regrets! …but what I wish Rivian had done better is the seat. The front seats of the Model X were superior in my opinion - they hold you well. I also wish the headrest in the Rivian was adjustable in thickness.

I hope that anyone who has concerns about the difference in the driving experience between the R1S and the R1T or anyone who is coming from a Tesla X finds it helpful. I just love the R1S.
Sponsored

Shnork

First Name
james
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan rouge , Subaru Legacy
Occupation
pA
congrats on your new ride, glad to hear you found the ride as good in R1Sas the T, those type of comments would often have me concerned about moving forward with getting the R1S.

OP
OP

Tibi

First Name
S.L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X
congrats on your new ride, glad to hear you found the ride as good in R1Sas the T, those type of comments would often have me concerned about moving forward with getting the R1S.
I should have noted - I also do quite a bit of city type driving and I have found the R1S doing well.

procrastin8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y 4680, 2021 Model Y Perf
Congratulations, and thank you for the overview.
How is the motor noise in the interior, compared to the R1T and Model X?

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
pictures???

congrats!

Sponsored

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
I just took delivery of my R1S last week (RB on MB interior, 20 AT). My husband has had an R1T for 8 months. So we are now a full Rivian family :). We’ve used this forum a lot for information and appreciated all the reviews. So I wanted to share our experience.

We‘ve taken the T on snow, long road trips (WA -> OR ->CA)… and found it an amazing car… except that we have two kids and two big golden retrievers so the R1S was a must for us. We both enjoy driving, have had Audis (A3, Q5, SQ5, Q7) and Tesla Model X.

I was a bit concerned because I read some reviews finding the R1S not to be as good of a drive as the R1T. Honestly, I am loving my R1S. I find it smooth, easy to drive, turning really well. In fact, we find it less « bouncy » than the R1T - not that it is an issue with the R1T. The kids in the back (my daughter has an adult size) were very comfortable. It feels as sporty as the R1T feels (We haven’t tested it off roads). For families, the storage in the R1S is amazing - already did a weekend trip, and since we have the two big dogs in the trunk, we used the storage below the trunk (spare tire area) and the frunk and there was quite a bit of space to spare.
We drove 214 miles from the east side of Seattle to Cannon Beach OR, and leaving with 100% battery, we arrived at destination with 18% left. Drove it using all purpose mode.

Compared to the Tesla X- while this is an amazing car for HWY driving and I am one who actually liked the yoke, I had mixed feelings about the falcon doors. But what I love about the R1S is the height of the car, the fun/sporty feeling of the drive… I have no regrets! …but what I wish Rivian had done better is the seat. The front seats of the Model X were superior in my opinion - they hold you well. I also wish the headrest in the Rivian was adjustable in thickness.

I hope that anyone who has concerns about the difference in the driving experience between the R1S and the R1T or anyone who is coming from a Tesla X finds it helpful. I just love the R1S.
This was a very helpful writeup. I'll be moving from an early 2016 Model X 75D (102,000 miles and counting) to the R1S. I still love driving the MX, and making use of free lifetime supercharging on our numerous cross-country drives, but I really need more range and interior cargo space. Plus, I'm finding out that spare parts for early Xs don't exist any more in a lot of cases- not at the service center, eBay, salvage websites or anywhere else.
I would, however, be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the upcoming Level 3 charging experience with the R1S. I've been spoiled by the reliable, seamless, Supercharging experience. I'm counting on EA to keep improving reliability, and expand.
Congratulations on your new R1S and thanks for posting.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T MB/BM, 2023 Tesla model X.
Occupation
MD

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T MB/BM, 2023 Tesla model X.
Occupation
MD
OP
OP

Tibi

First Name
S.L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X
Congratulations, and thank you for the overview.
How is the motor noise in the interior, compared to the R1T and Model X?
So far we don’t find the R1S noisy, and no more than the R1T. (I had seen a video complaining about that but I don’t find the car particularly noisy). The Model X was very quiet, but sometimes, at least in mine, the ventilation would start out of the blue and be a bit noisy. I hope this helps.

OP
OP

Tibi

First Name
S.L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X
This was a very helpful writeup. I'll be moving from an early 2016 Model X 75D (102,000 miles and counting) to the R1S. I still love driving the MX, and making use of free lifetime supercharging on our numerous cross-country drives, but I really need more range and interior cargo space. Plus, I'm finding out that spare parts for early Xs don't exist any more in a lot of cases- not at the service center, eBay, salvage websites or anywhere else.
I would, however, be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the upcoming Level 3 charging experience with the R1S. I've been spoiled by the reliable, seamless, Supercharging experience. I'm counting on EA to keep improving reliability, and expand.
Congratulations on your new R1S and thanks for posting.
I don’t know if this will help you but here is a little more: I enjoyed driving the MX - a lot more in fact than I had expected. I had really liked my Audis and was nervous of switching away. What I liked about the MX compared to the R1S: the slightly stiffer steering on the highway (a bit more like the Audis). However, I didn’t like the small side mirrors and small back window of the MX. At the end, I decided based on lifestyle given that we like the outdoors and the fact that I like a higher car. (not to say that I find the R1S super cool). The MX is and feels smaller to drive but has so much less cargo space. Overall, while the R1S and the MX are really different cars, they are both great cars to drive.

Regarding the charging: for now, it is hard to beat Tesla’s network. Our experience with the EA chargers has been generally good, recognizing that we may have a bit more EV charging infrastructure in the PNW than in other parts of the country. We drove to CA with the R1T and had some problems with the RAN, but that was only due to the truck and Rivian fixed it upon our return (the service was great) and we heard a lot of people having a great experience with the RAN in OR.

Sponsored

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Thanks OP great info. But ok ok I have to ask given all things equal which one would you prefer MX or R1S? The Model X has a more expensive starting price than the R1S and I’ve been curious how much bang for your buck you’re getting with the R1S. Mine arrives June-July and I can’t wait. My friends and family keep telling me it’s a fad and that it’s not a real car… doing a test drive June 2nd with one… pretty sure it’s a real car.
P.s. they joke saying EV’s aren’t real cars.

OP
OP

Tibi

First Name
S.L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X
Thanks OP great info. But ok ok I have to ask given all things equal which one would you prefer MX or R1S? The Model X has a more expensive starting price than the R1S and I’ve been curious how much bang for your buck you’re getting with the R1S. Mine arrives June-July and I can’t wait. My friends and family keep telling me it’s a fad and that it’s not a real car… doing a test drive June 2nd with one… pretty sure it’s a real car.
P.s. they joke saying EV’s aren’t real cars.
It is quite a real car. :) Both are great cars with their pros and cons. I went with the R1S over the MX. Overall, I prefer the R1S. It is a great car! If I had the two cars parked in front of my house and would have to decide which one to drive, I would go with the R1S. Great interior too.

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

It is quite a real car. :) Both are great cars with their pros and cons. I went with the R1S over the MX. Overall, I prefer the R1S. It is a great car! If I had the two cars parked in front of my house and would have to decide which one to drive, I would go with the R1S. Great interior too.
Awesome thank you I’m thrilled for my demo ride. Haven’t decided if I want to sell my BMW M4 convertible for this yet… very different vehicles.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I own R1T and Y. I am debating between X vs R1S for my wife's car.. I wish my wife reads this thread.. Then I have less work to convince her.. I own 22" wheel and I want 20" AT. If I get R1S with 20" AT, I can just swap with her!! Damn it..

Rad_ry

First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Finance
I own R1T and Y. I am debating between X vs R1S for my wife's car.. I wish my wife reads this thread.. Then I have less work to convince her.. I own 22" wheel and I want 20" AT. If I get R1S with 20" AT, I can just swap with her!! Damn it..
I love the fact she won’t take your word for it 🤣. Now that they are opening up test drives can you arrange one for her?
Sponsored