Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-charging-stations-every-50-miles/7561566001/

These are rules for obtaining federal subsidies to build new charging stations. Here are some of the big takeaways.

1. Chargers must be at 1 mile, or less, from a hwy
2. No closed networks. Tesla would have to create chargers for everyone to qualify.
3. No App requirements allowed. Chargers, built with subsidies, will operate more like a gas pump. You don’t need an app to pay and you don’t need a subscription.
4. At least 4 DC fast chargers per station.
5. Mandates chargers every 50 miles along hwys. I’m not sure if these are just interstates or lesser highways/US routes.
Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Wait for Musk to throw a tantrum and start tweeting about 'closed markets', 'reduced innovations', 'not solve problems' or any one of a million nonsense!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Wait for Musk to throw a tantrum and start tweeting about 'closed markets', 'reduced innovations', 'not solve problems' or any one of a million nonsense!
Elon is a dbag. He doesn’t care about anything but his ego and his wallet.

I was reading an article about charging infrastructure and Elon basically is freezing some smaller players plans to add DC fast chargers. By saying he was going to open up the Tesla network.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
I just hope the subsidized DCFCs can be engineered to be more reliable than what we have now.
Government does nothing efficiently, expect them to screw this up as well. Rest assured people in congress will have. already invested in the companies that receive the contracts. The chargers will be overpriced, and provided they ever get delivered, will be substandard.

Solyndra part 2, anybody?

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-charging-stations-every-50-miles/7561566001/

These are rules for obtaining federal subsidies to build new charging stations. Here are some of the big takeaways.

2. No closed networks. Tesla would have to create chargers for everyone to qualify.
3. No App requirements allowed. Chargers, built with subsidies, will operate more like a gas pump. You don’t need an app to pay and you don’t need a subscription.
5. Mandates chargers every 50 miles along hwys. I’m not sure if these are just interstates or lesser highways/US routes.
A potentially important addition to #4: The minimum 4 chargers must be CCS and they must offer at least 150kW charge rate for a minimum combined 600kW output (i.e. they cannot have any "shared" capacity such that each charger puts out less than 150kW if all are in use).

On #5: It can be any interstate or US highway. The state must nominate a route as an "EV alternative fuel corridor - ready" or "EV alternative fuel corridor - pending". "Ready" means the corridor meets all the requirements. "Pending" means the state is actively working toward meeting the "ready" designation requirement.

State corridor nominations in "Round 6" were due by May 13, 2022, but they've not been published yet. I guess some states may have published their own nominations, but FHWA has not updated the national listings or maps.

For nerds out there, here's the FHWA's Round 6 Request for Nominations: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environmen...minations/2022_request_for_nominations_r6.pdf

And here's a map of all corridors designated through Round 5: https://hepgis.fhwa.dot.gov/fhwagis...on|Electric+Vehicle+(EV-Round+1,2,3,4+and+5)#

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Government does nothing efficiently, expect them to screw this up as well. Rest assured people in congress will have. already invested in the companies that receive the contracts. The chargers will be overpriced, and provided they ever get delivered, will be substandard.

Fun fact: the same DOE program that gave a risky $500m loan to Solyndra later provided a loan of roughly the same size to another highly risky startup:
https://www.tesla.com/blog/tesla-gets-loan-approval-us-department-energy

So, technically, Tesla should be considered Solyndra part 2.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

This seems almost... sensible. Why does it worry me? Like I'm immediately suspect of gov't programs that don't have massive loopholes or clear corp ties...

I'm sure they are in there... somewhere, but it's odd to me that when presented with what seems like reasonable conditions for the acquisition of gov't funding my reaction these days is pure suspicion rather than calm acceptance 😄

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
This seems almost... sensible. Why does it worry me? Like I'm immediately suspect of gov't programs that don't have massive loopholes or clear corp ties...

I'm sure they are in there... somewhere, but it's odd to me that when presented with what seems like reasonable conditions for the acquisition of gov't funding my reaction these days is pure suspicion rather than calm acceptance 😄
Oh, see, you're clearly missing a big part of this whole process. These are the requirements for a state to nominate a corridor. Once a state has nominated a corridor, the state gets a grant to either build the charging stations itself or to partner with someone else (or multiple people) to build the stations. The corruption is going to happen in how the states partner with private entities and spend their grants. See, e.g. the reports about what happened in TX with some previous EV charging grants.

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Oh, see, you're clearly missing a big part of this whole process. These are the requirements for a state to nominate a corridor. Once a state has nominated a corridor, the state gets a grant to either build the charging stations itself or to partner with someone else (or multiple people) to build the stations. The corruption is going to happen in how the states partner with private entities and spend their grants. See, e.g. the reports about what happened in TX with some previous EV charging grants.
Ah yes, there it is... phew. I was getting worried.

JulianD

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Range Rover Sport, 2017 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG
Occupation
Accountant

Well, it makes no sense to have a network of charging stations for each type of EV. Just a massive waste of resources. Go with one standard connector and charging station so everyone can use them all makes the most sense. It's not like they won't make money on the fees.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Meanwhile Tesla profits off of being one of the largest, stable, and available networks….he’ll complain and prosper!

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Go with one standard connector and charging station so everyone can use them all makes the most sense.
Aren't we already there?

I thought all but Tesla use the J1772 (with the edge case of the last of the nissan leaf using chademo )

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Subsidizing gas stations. Great idea. :facepalm:

My 2 cents: Butt the F out government and let the market do it's thing.

The government decided to mandate lightbulbs in California 15 years ago. I now have 4 different ballast types in my house, all of which are less efficient and/or require adapters or expensive bulbs vs standard now. Thanks for that.
Sponsored