Sponsored

New Polestar 3 Sporty SUV

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Built in America but the profits will go to China. Parent company Geely.
I'm not sure what your point is? Is it just racism?

How is this different than Honda? Or Toyota? Or Nissan? Or BMW? Or Mercedes?

Heck, Ford/GM build a significant portion of their vehicles internationally. Even the ones that do get assembled in the States are made primarily from foreign materials/components.

It's 2021. The economy is global.

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
XC90 Polestar edition... could be awesome

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
If this is anything like the Polestar 2, but with more performance and a bigger battery, would be a very good BEV. I am intrigued by the Polestar 3.

BTW, any one think they hid a Model Y under the wraps, just for the photos :D

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This looks great, but as mentioned in a different thread, servicing for this is a real challenge: https://www.polestar.com/us/service-and-assistance/service-points/

You can get free pickup / delivery service in a 150mi bubble around Polestar Authorized Service Points in Manhattan, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Jose, with further locations coming, "s00n".

This isn't really something that is marketed to the vast majority of America and shouldn't be treated as such, unfortunately.

:(

OP
OP
Mysta

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
This looks great, but as mentioned in a different thread, servicing for this is a real challenge: https://www.polestar.com/us/service-and-assistance/service-points/

You can get free pickup / delivery service in a 150mi bubble around Polestar Authorized Service Points in Manhattan, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and San Jose, with further locations coming, "s00n".

This isn't really something that is marketed to the vast majority of America and shouldn't be treated as such, unfortunately.

:(
Yeah but by that logic Rivian has zero locations, so just depends on Polestar's rollout, they at least have some other servicing growth through Volvo potentially. Probably good to see peoples experience so far, as me being like 5 states away from servicing definitely hasn't stopped them from trying to sell me one.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The Polestar 3 will be available from Volvo as the XC90 Recharge (as is the XC40 Recharge instead of the Polestar 2). Slightly different body and trim details but Geely produces both on the same chassis/tech.

Polestar is the upscale/performance label and I seriously doubt they would open "Spaces" for Polestar and then dilute the brand by including Volvo dealerships in some markets. Geely does offer "Polestar Engineered" Volvo trim/performance levels on some vehicles (like AMG/Mercedes), but the Polestar vehicles themselves will be sold and serviced separately.

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
There is a Polestar location in Denver and they are offering it here. Concierge service. Pick up and drop off at your house. They have a small retail location with a garage in the back where mobile techs provide service if it can't be done at customer site

OP
OP
Mysta

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
The Polestar 3 will be available from Volvo as the XC90 Recharge (as is the XC40 Recharge instead of the Polestar 2). Slightly different body and trim details but Geely produces both on the same chassis/tech.

Polestar is the upscale/performance label and I seriously doubt they would open "Spaces" for Polestar and then dilute the brand by including Volvo dealerships in some markets. Geely does offer "Polestar Engineered" Volvo trim/performance levels on some vehicles (like AMG/Mercedes), but the Polestar vehicles themselves will be sold and serviced separately.
Dilute it? I just meant use it as a method to spread out further, Volvo is a luxury brand btw. Will they combine them? probably not, but can they use personnel for training/supplementing, probably.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Dilute it? I just meant use it as a method to spread out further, Volvo is a luxury brand btw. Will they combine them? probably not, but can they use personnel for training/supplementing, probably.
Like I said - Similar to AMG/Mercedes. Mercedes is also a luxury brand. Geely is targeting Polestar as the upscale/performance variant and adding it as a premium to some Volvo trims.

Geely has elected to grow Polestar into a distinct brand and hence want to differentiate it from Volvo. They need to keep it separate to achieve this (or they would just continue to market Polestar variants thru Volvo dealers)

Could they shop out the service aspect? Of course. But that would be like telling a Cadillac buyer that their local Chevy dealer would do the service (this was more the case when Cadillac was perceived as the "gold standard").

They are also using the brand to enable direct sales and bypass the franchised dealer network. Pretty sure there would be significant pushback if the franchised dealers were asked to do the service after being cut out of the sales side.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
No it's not. Never has been.
I'm usually on your side 'round here, Commodore. But you got this one wrong.

Maybe you haven't looked at one in 15+ years, but Volvo is absolutely a luxury brand now.

It's not Rolls/Bentley/Bugatti luxury, but it's absolutely Mercedes/Audi/BMW/Lexus/etc luxury.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
What an antagonistic comment, it's definitely luxury, even if entry luxury, and all awards/car sites I just searched labeled it as so.
You said something as if it were a fact (which I dispute). I said the opposite statement. How is mine antagonistic any more than yours is??

I've owned half a dozen Volvos, over the years. They're wonder vehicles, but they're not luxury any more than a Kia Telluride is luxury. A "luxury" vehicle is a lot more than just some leather on parts of the seats. A "luxury" vehicle involves an entire dealership experience, for which Volvo is most assuredly NOT luxury. Go to a Volvo forum and you'll see plenty of gripes over that fact.
Sponsored