Sponsored

New Owner - PaaK and Fob won't start vehicle?

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
Hi all. New owner here. Atlanta. Feb 2019 order. was holding out for max pack and 20ATs. relented and took a rivian shop adventure large with 21s. Limestone. Love it. (5 year Model S driver).

Only one issue so far (knock knock). I hope this is the right forum for this question...

Every key (Fob, PaaK, both cards) will unlock the vehicle...but only the cards will start it.

I have gone through tons of threads on this and other sites and haven't found anything exactly like this.

Delivery said that it might fix itself after software update (from 2022.15.0 to 2022.19.4). Did that last night and it didn't clear. Have also done a couple info resets and one hard reset since then. Still no joy. Everything appears to be paired (again, all keys lock/unlock) and all are assigned to me. Fwiw the key fob shows ID as 'NA'. Not sure if that is typical or not. Rivian App for phone location is set to 'always on' and proximity works correctly. Car just will not start unless I massage the door with a card.

Am I not doing something right? Anyone have any ideas? Not exactly a 'stranded on side of the road' problem but would love to not have to pull card every single time I want it to go. I have emailed and left a VM for support/guide.

Thanks!

Looks like a good community and will work to contribute as much as I get. Wave and I'll wave back.

Steve
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. With the fob or the PAAK in my experience it should just work when you get in the car and press the brake, nothing special you need to do.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sometimes my Fob doesn't work immediately but I just keep spamming the "drive" command and it works.

If you have IOS 16, it's supposedly known to not work correctly. I'm on android and haven't had issues, except for the time when my phone battery died between the time I opened the door and tried to drive away.

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks.

iOS 15 here.

The fact that both Bluetooth LE devices (PaaK and Fob) are not working leads me to believe it's a problem with the vehicle...like a BT module (or service/config running it)?.

I haven't researched enough yet to know what systems the PaaK and Fob use, but I thought I read they both use BT LE for start function. I would assume that would be different than either the lock/unlock one either device (and media from phone). But certainly could be wrong. Just starting to dig into while I wait for a call/email back.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I exclusively use PaaK with my truck and had a fun experience adventure with it today.

I was sitting in the cell phone lot waiting to pick somebody up at the airport. I was just sitting there listening to a podcast from my phone when I got the signal to go get them from the terminal. So I tried to shift to drive, to which, the truck yelled at me to tap a card to drive. I then tried toggling bluetooth on my phone. No dice. Then my phone would not even connect to "Rivian Audio" for streaming. Eventually just pulled the card from my wallet to be able to drive. I even tried rebooting my phone because I've had similar issues with Android phones and headphones/speakers. Once I got home a UI reset fixed it up to allow PaaK and bluetooth audio to work again. This seemed like a larger bluetooth module issue for me since both the PaaK and audio connections were not working.

All this is to say that if a reset doesn't fix it, I'd be writing up a service ticket to have them look into it.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I have seen reports of others needing a BT module replacement, so I'd start there.

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks all.

Maybe Iā€™m crazy but I swear ā€œitā€ worked once this afternoon. I say ā€˜itā€™ because I had my phone, the fob and my (rfid-proof) wallet with a card in it in my hand ā€¦and the vehicle proximity-opened and started (without placing card). Problem is I had fob and phone in same hand so no idea what did what (opening or starting). Got home and tried to recreate and couldnā€™t get phone or fob fo work again (just cardā€¦outside wallet and very closely/properly placed).

Will update with progress and/or resolution.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Thanks all.

Maybe Iā€™m crazy but I swear ā€œitā€ worked once this afternoon. I say ā€˜itā€™ because I had my phone, the fob and my (rfid-proof) wallet with a card in it in my hand ā€¦and the vehicle proximity-opened and started (without placing card). Problem is I had fob and phone in same hand so no idea what did what (opening or starting). Got home and tried to recreate and couldnā€™t get phone or fob fo work again (just cardā€¦outside wallet and very closely/properly placed).

Will update with progress and/or resolution.
I'm betting on phone since the FOB doesn't have proximity functions...

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm betting on phone since the FOB doesn't have proximity functions...
Yep that makes sense.

So every key unlocks and locks properlyā€¦but only cards will start it.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have found when the vehicle and PAAK stop communicating and you get the key not present deal-e-o, a solution is to lock and unlock, from the app. Then it works again. Seems that forces communication to reestablish.

Sponsored

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. Yes have tried that. No joy.

CarGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB C63S, Ford F-250 Tremor, Rivian R1T LE
Google Pixel 6 Pro
R1T delivered in March. No problems with PAAK, or fob. Never used the RFID cards until May when the PAAK and fob quit working. I've worked with support to get it resolved, but no luck.
It's certainly a frustrating issue.

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Replacement Bluetooth Module fixed this btw. SC took care of it no problem. Took a couple days to get part in but not a big deal. Everything works perfectly now.
Sponsored