Sponsored

NEW - OpenSourceEV Hitch Cover Thumbscrews (Direct Replacements)

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Hello my dudes!

In September of 2022, @Kuro-Rivian posted a thread about a DIY thumb screw replacement for the hitch cover on the Rivian R1T and R1S. This thread detailed ordering a specific part at McMaster Carr and hacking them up so they function as a thumbscrew of the cover, allowing you to remove it without having to find a large flathead screwdriver.

He and I have gone back-and-forth a bit in attempt to source the original manufacture of the product. After a bunch of research, conversation with the manufacturer, reaching with various distributors, and a somewhat large required order, I'm thrilled to announce that there is now a direct drop-in thumbscrew replacement that installs in under 60 seconds, requires no modifications, and has no extra parts to discard.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Hitch Cover Thumbscrews (Direct Replacements) IMG_1470.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Hitch Cover Thumbscrews (Direct Replacements) IMG_1468.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Hitch Cover Thumbscrews (Direct Replacements) IMG_1466.JPG

Comparing the plastic bolt that came stock, with the new thumbscrew replacement:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Hitch Cover Thumbscrews (Direct Replacements) IMG_1471.JPG

Overall, There doesn't appear to be much of a downside to moving to these thumb screws from the regular bolts. The dimensions on them are absolutely perfect. They fit well inside of the notch in the hitch cover plastic. The dimensions of the turnable element is just enough for your thumbs yet still tucks out of the way to not cause turbulence.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - OpenSourceEV Hitch Cover Thumbscrews (Direct Replacements) OSEV Hitch Cover Thumscrew

Unfortunately, as a commercial product I'm not able to release the STL file for them. Additionally, the minimum order quantity is 100 units when purchasing direct or through a reseller. That is the quantity I've ordered as more of a test than anything. The next quantity break is at 500 units - if they sell well I'll purchase the bigger amount and look toward reducing the pricing.

Speaking of pricing, they are priced at $8.49 for two of these, which is enough for one vehicle. Shipping starts at $3.45, which makes this still cheaper than ordering the old setup from McMaster.

Orders for this are open right now and shipments will start on Tuesday. Details, including more pictures are available below:

https://opensourceev.com/products/hitch-cover-thumbscrew-v2-pair

Also - video:

Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
Sorry, for over $12 I'll be happy to keep using the factory fasteners. Not cost effective to me yet.

bgmaxey

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Public Safety
Ordered a set. I have a hitch step that I leave on anyway but appreciate you putting this together - you have my support.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

You got me. $5.88 is a bit steep for shipping to OR but what the hell I just used some reward cash on my Apple Card.

Sponsored

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Sorry, for over $12 I'll be happy to keep using the factory fasteners. Not cost effective to me yet.
And more than that, chiming in to crap on someone's for sale thread for a frickin' $12 item for which he is making virtually nothing...is really shitty tasteless.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I too am lazy. Using a screwdriver is a pain. Ordered a set.

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Looks like a great idea and glad to support! Ordered and looking forward to getting these...

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
OP
OP
RWerksman