Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Thank you Rivian and please keep beating the hell out of the R1T. This type of driving I will never do but reassures me that the vehicle will not fall apart on me on pavement, I'm still ready to order.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
This was a great video! Simply wow!

Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I have to say, at least from the clips, the stability is insane!

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Has anyone else noticed that the front right quarter panel pinches up into the hood at the 51 second mark in the first video. Not trying to read too much into this since this is a hand built pre-production model.... But it looks like maybe he bottomed out the tire into the wheel well.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Has anyone else noticed that the front right quarter panel pinches up into the hood at the 51 second mark in the first video. Not trying to read too much into this since this is a hand built pre-production model.... But it looks like maybe he bottomed out the tire into the wheel well.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I think at the least that speaks to a previous statement that there isn't room to fit a larger than factory tire.

EDIT: we also don't know for sure what size tire they were using in that video.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Don't forget the launch video...very impressive.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I did as well. Here's that bit of the video slowed down:

To me it looks like the bumper was hit when the front passenger wheel went into the depression.

The bumpers are something I've been worried about since the South America photos. It's hard to tell how much has changed because of different perspectives of photos, but the newer prototype vehicles to me look to have a more squared off chin. I'm sure this helps aerodynamics a bit, but also causes problems like this, even if technically the approach angle hasn't changed on paper. Compare these two shots:
Rivian R1T R1S New Official Videos: Off-Roading in the Rivian R1T - Rock Crawling, Trail Run, Drifting 1_rotated

Rivian R1T R1S New Official Videos: Off-Roading in the Rivian R1T - Rock Crawling, Trail Run, Drifting 2

Could be just in my head or the "camouflage", but the new picture looks more square.

It would be amazing if Rivian offered a more trail-ready trim that has the lower bumper corners shaved off (and also those skid plates that someone mentioned at a Rivian event). Similar in some ways to the the differences between Trail/Limited 4runner:
Rivian R1T R1S New Official Videos: Off-Roading in the Rivian R1T - Rock Crawling, Trail Run, Drifting 4runner-trail
Rivian R1T R1S New Official Videos: Off-Roading in the Rivian R1T - Rock Crawling, Trail Run, Drifting 4runner-limited

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
To me it looks like the bumper was hit when the front passenger wheel went into the depression.
Agree, good eye. If you watch the video full screen you can actually see the entire front bumper flex.
Sponsored