ElectricTrucking

Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911
Thank you Rivian and please keep beating the hell out of the R1T. This type of driving I will never do but reassures me that the vehicle will not fall apart on me on pavement, I'm still ready to order.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Reaction score
First Name
Leo
Vehicles
Tesla S 90D
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have to say, at least from the clips, the stability is insane!

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Has anyone else noticed that the front right quarter panel pinches up into the hood at the 51 second mark in the first video. Not trying to read too much into this since this is a hand built pre-production model.... But it looks like maybe he bottomed out the tire into the wheel well.

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
Has anyone else noticed that the front right quarter panel pinches up into the hood at the 51 second mark in the first video. Not trying to read too much into this since this is a hand built pre-production model.... But it looks like maybe he bottomed out the tire into the wheel well.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I think at the least that speaks to a previous statement that there isn't room to fit a larger than factory tire.

EDIT: we also don't know for sure what size tire they were using in that video.

Last edited:

skyote

Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps & 2500HD Duramax
Don't forget the launch video...very impressive.

aAlpine

Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 4Runner (R1T pre-order)
I did as well. Here's that bit of the video slowed down:

To me it looks like the bumper was hit when the front passenger wheel went into the depression.

The bumpers are something I've been worried about since the South America photos. It's hard to tell how much has changed because of different perspectives of photos, but the newer prototype vehicles to me look to have a more squared off chin. I'm sure this helps aerodynamics a bit, but also causes problems like this, even if technically the approach angle hasn't changed on paper. Compare these two shots:
1_rotated.jpg

2.jpg

Could be just in my head or the "camouflage", but the new picture looks more square.

It would be amazing if Rivian offered a more trail-ready trim that has the lower bumper corners shaved off (and also those skid plates that someone mentioned at a Rivian event). Similar in some ways to the the differences between Trail/Limited 4runner:
4runner-trail.jpg
4runner-limited.jpg

Advertisement

Advertisement