Sponsored

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Rivian R1T R1S New Official Rivian Adventure Network and Charging Station Info Rivian RAN

Made the attached with my crude editing skills to get a better sense of the RAN network relative to roads. Thought I'd share if others were interested as well.

[Edit: the original image is larger and higher resolution than what seems to show up here. If someone knows how to share the larger versions of the image let me know, and happy to share as well--easier to see state specific detail]
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Rivian RAN.png

Made the attached with my crude editing skills to get a better sense of the RAN network relative to roads. Thought I'd share if others were interested as well.

[Edit: the original image is larger and higher resolution than what seems to show up here. If someone knows how to share the larger versions of the image let me know, and happy to share as well--easier to see state specific detail]
This is awesome, thanks for sharing!

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

EA overlayed with RAN looks a bit more promising. TBH I think in upcoming months to 1.5 years + a lot of infrastructure will be in place. Note this also includes planned locations for EA.

1616101938864.png
Will try and update your route map with EA/RAN map @OrthoBlock

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian RAN.png

There is a lot of overlap with existing or planned Electrify America sites. I hope Rivian will prioritize the sites that do not have overlap and get those done first.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
All other things being equal, the latter will be 50% faster.

As a very basic guideline (there are many variables including charge taper), gaining a 100 kWh charge at 200 kW would take 30 minutes (1/2 an hour). At 300 kW it would take 20 (1/3 of an hour).
I think this is an important point. I know many here are enamored or excited about the potential for peak charging at 300kW, but practical difference is not much from the perspective of actual charging time.

I agree that it would be nice to save 10-15 mins here & there, but is it really that big of a deal? Probably a very rare need for me & an extra few minutes every couple hundred miles is not huge to me...200kW, especially if sustained, is still damn fast.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Yes on Bear Lake. Looks to be on the north end of the lake. There’s not much up there. There’s a free 125kW charger on the southwest end of the lake.

Definitely looks like West Yellowstone as well, and the two north of that are definitely inside YNP. The park actually extends about 20 miles into ID and MT along the WY boarder, and those dots are definitely in WY. There’s several J-1772 chargers in the park (mostly at hotels and lodges), but these will be the first DCFC.

Nothing in Bozeman which is a little disappointing. There’s a 50kW charger at the Harley dealer, so I can use that as a destination charger since that’s usually the endpoint for me.
I just got off the phone with the Engagement Center. I advocated for some of the non-Interstate routes along the lower Idaho-Wyoming border. Martin reiterated that the map will continue to evolve as new locations are added. Also, the current green dots will morph into links when a station has been installed and is ready to charge. As suspected, the dots on yesterday's big rollout map are areas targeted with no absolute address just yet.

The good news is that it does look good for the possibility of having robust charging inside of National Parks. I didn't get a promise of exactly what that will look like, or that it will absolutely be DCFC, just that it's looking good. I don't want to put words into anyone else's mouth. As you can tell, I have enough problems controlling my own.

I specifically referenced Alpine, Wyoming, as it sits at the end of one of the best rafting stretches on the Snake River, just where it feeds into Palisades Reservoir. It would be an ideal spot for at least a Destination L2 charger while the rafting services haul you up river and you float back down the Snake. Worth the trip if you're around Jackson, the Tetons, or Yellowstone.

I also mentioned Lava Hot Springs, in S.E. Idaho. Check out the myriad of geothermally-heated pools and springs on Google Earth. Another L2 possibility.

Last thought, I also suggested something in Key West.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I think this is an important point. I know many here are enamored or excited about the potential for peak charging at 300kW, but practical difference is not much from the perspective of actual charging time.
You make very good points. I have wanted the 300kw, not because it may be that much faster, but because it is the latest and greatest. I hate buying something new only to see the better version released a short time later. Even though, I am happy with the version I have. The need isn't real for me, I just emotionally seem to need it.

I agree that it would be nice to save 10-15 mins here & there, but is it really that big of a deal? Probably a very rare need for me & an extra few minutes every couple hundred miles is not huge to me...200kW, especially if sustained, is still damn fast.
So true. Sustained at 200kw for 20 minutes would be SO MUCH better than any Tesla that I have owned that I would be like a pig in sh*t happy. Would the 300kw even be sustained for long enough to make a huge difference. Probably not. With the Model Y, the 250kw peak only lasts for 5 minutes and then quickly tapers to 80kw.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Just chatted with Ryan and suggested adding McCall and Lewiston Idaho along U.S. 95 on the Western side of the State to open up the Hells Canyon National Recreation Area and increase access to the Eagle Cap Wilderness Area in Northeastern Oregon. It would also allow an additional connection between I-84 and I-90, with just two locations.

The Snake River flowing through Hells Canyon is a beautiful site and an amazing experience for those in rafts or jetboats.

Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
You make very good points. I have wanted the 300kw, not because it may be that much faster, but because it is the latest and greatest. I hate buying something new only to see the better version released a short time later. Even though, I am happy with the version I have. The need isn't real for me, I just emotionally seem to need it.

So true. Sustained at 200kw for 20 minutes would be SO MUCH better than any Tesla that I have owned that I would be like a pig in sh*t happy. Would the 300kw even be sustained for long enough to make a huge difference. Probably not. With the Model Y, the 250kw peak only lasts for 5 minutes and then quickly tapers to 80kw.
It will be that much faster because it almost has to be 800v, which means 300kw will be at a far lower current than 200kw at 480. Means cooler battery and more sustained rates. It doesn’t make sense though that they’d do 800v shortly after launch so makes us think they’re doing 480v, cause they mentioned testing 500a charging. So the curve at 300kw 480v would likely be terrible so not much benefit. Except for very short charges to get a bit of low SoC %

Fenwayfan77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
Clear as mud like I said LOL
I consider the word from customer service reps as solid as someone's claims that they had a recent snowball fight on the surface of the sun. When the vehicles actually start to roll off the line, test drives are available, and the Rivian super "Guides" with capes are released on the public, then i'll start to believe many of the various suspect, unvalidated claims made by the customer service teams.

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

Do you think the Amazon vans will have access to the network or have their own dedicated chargers?

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
It will be that much faster because it almost has to be 800v, which means 300kw will be at a far lower current than 200kw at 480. Means cooler battery and more sustained rates. It doesn’t make sense though that they’d do 800v shortly after launch so makes us think they’re doing 480v, cause they mentioned testing 500a charging. So the curve at 300kw 480v would likely be terrible so not much benefit. Except for very short charges to get a bit of low SoC %
Can you get to 300kw with 480v using any of the available chargers?
Sponsored