kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

This is the response I just got from CS.
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 4.50.21 PM.png

between you me and @mkennedy1996 might be slight disparity of information but overall seems like they are not saying NO which I take as a win haha.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Noob here, what's the difference between Charging rates of over 200kW initially and 300kW+? What does this mean exactly? I'm also a R1S LE
All other things being equal, the latter will be 50% faster.

As a very basic guideline (there are many variables including charge taper), gaining a 100 kWh charge at 200 kW would take 30 minutes (1/2 an hour). At 300 kW it would take 20 (1/3 of an hour).

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

When will the home charging unit be available for purchase, and how much will it cost?
As it states in the release:
You’ll be able to purchase the Rivian Wall Charger and set up installation when ordering your vehicle. If you finance your vehicle through us, you can also roll in the cost of the Wall Charger.

No price has been released.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
While this is a much larger announcement than I was expecting it still looks like the Texas pan handle looks like a lonely place to be in a Rivian. I just got back from a spring break road trip (from Austin) to the Grand Canyon via a long route up through Durango, Cortez, Mexican Hat, Page, and Flagstaff. Taking mental notes along the way I was already a bit concerned about the charging between Sweetwater, TX and Santa Rosa, NM. Unfortunately after this announcement it appears that is still going to be an issue for a while.

Last edited:

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
Noob here, what's the difference between Charging rates of over 200kW initially and 300kW+? What does this mean exactly? I'm also a R1S LE
The amount of time required to charge is less with 300kw (300,000 watts of power). With 50% more power being delivered to the car, the charging time is less. If it is like Tesla, it does not work out to an equivalent reduction in charging time since the the full power can not be applied to the battery for the full amount of time. But still faster.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

EA overlayed with RAN looks a bit more promising. TBH I think in upcoming months to 1.5 years + a lot of infrastructure will be in place. Note this also includes planned locations for EA.

Rivian R1T R1S New Official Rivian Adventure Network and Charging Station Info 1616101938864

Last edited:

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

For early Model S/X owners, it's free unlimited supercharging for the life of the car.

I have it.

It's nice.

I don't expected Rivian to do the same.
Tesla occasionally uses this unlimited free supercharge benefit as an incentive to buy, instead of a purchase price drop, e.g. for a period in 2020 with X.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Those Level 2 chargers are going to be pretty slow. 25 miles an hour? Sigh, hopefully over the next 3-4 years Rivian will be able to close the gap on Tesla's supercharger network, but man does Tesla have a lead.
These are actually really nice for places like ski hills, hotels, department stores, dr. offices, etc. Lots of places where you're going to spend more than 30-60 minutes and therefore DCFC is probably not a good option (idle fees, angry people en queue), but would love to soak up some juice. Tesla does the same thing.

(It's a life saver when skiing out of town - lots of resorts are far from any DCFC, but being able to top off the day's driving while you're on the slops means that many more places are accessible even if it's tough to charge in town.)

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
From the announcement:

“These DC fast chargers will be for Rivian owners only, with details on pricing and associated programs coming soon.”

I would infer from this that they won’t be free.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
All other things being equal, the latter will be 50% faster.

As a very basic guideline (there are many variables including charge taper), gaining a 100 kWh charge at 200 kW would take 30 minutes (1/2 an hour). At 300 kW it would take 20 (1/3 of an hour).
In reality this is probably going to be "peak charge" that is only temporarily sustained - it will probably be closer to a 20-30% improvement optimistically. (See e.g. Tesla's 250kW stations being nowhere near twice as fast as a 120kW station, but way faster at certain charge levels.)

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

As it states in the release:
You’ll be able to purchase the Rivian Wall Charger and set up installation when ordering your vehicle. If you finance your vehicle through us, you can also roll in the cost of the Wall Charger.

No price has been released.
You said "You’ll be able to purchase the Rivian Wall Charger and set up installation when ordering your vehicle. If you finance your vehicle through us, you can also roll in the cost of the Wall Charger."
I ordered my R1T in Nov 2018! Nowhere did they mention a wall charger? So what exactly are you saying?

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
Tesla occasionally uses this unlimited free supercharge benefit as an incentive to buy, instead of a purchase price drop, e.g. for a period in 2020 with X.
I have unlimited Super Charging too. However, a nominal fee helps when you need to find an open charger.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Confirmation on IG that the 395 corridor will be covered. Inyokern, Olancha, Bishop, Lee Vining and Bridgeport shown on map.

Rivian R1T R1S New Official Rivian Adventure Network and Charging Station Info IMG_8997
Sponsored