Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
A bit dissapointed Outer Banks are empty. I go a couple times a year from Toronto to OBX and would love to be able to do it with Rivian...
But overall great news.
Do you need to have a RAN DCFC when you get there?

See this a lot already on people wanting DCFC at their destination. If you are there for days, a Waypoint or other L2 option is plenty. Plugshare already shows L2 options with a few DCFC sprinkled in.
Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Well this just shows, that a well funded company like Rivian cannot scale up fast enough, makes me wonder about all the other startup EV companies. What are they going to do? Lucid Air, Nio, Xpeng, and several others that are in the pipeline. The charging is going to be key to their success, same for Rivian.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
If that map is representative (and DCFC), it's as good or better than Tesla for my purposes skiing/road tripping/camping in the northwest (looks like it covers Whistler, Newhalem, Chelan, Leavenworth, Bend, Sun Valley...), and gives me the confidence I've been waiting for to keep my LE instead of waiting for the 400 mile pack, barring any major surprises in the real world range.

Considerably better than I expected on all fronts, and a huge reassurance. Bravo Rivian.

Last edited:

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

When will the home charging unit be available for purchase, and how much will it cost?

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
they're smart enough to know that this is Tesla's "moat" in the EV world right now. I'm excited that they're going up 95 through Maine all the way to the border (while also opening up Baxter State Park/Katahdin), and also Rt 9 to New Brunswick.

Just need one in that Central VA black hole between the Richmond dot, and what looks like 81....put one in Farmville and we're golden.

(I'm still putting my money down the second they announce the Max pack)

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Who wants to count them??
Ha, I started counting, but lost interest.

I had the same initial thought that @RWerksman did, but changed my mind for two reasons:

1) I counted the Western part of the country and got to 150, and then decided that there was probably about 4x that across the rest of the country.

2) Rivian is being fairly specific with their "Rivian Adventure Network" being DCFC, 3500 at 600+ locations, and supporting the 140 miles in 20 minutes charging rate. They are referring to the L2 as "Rivian Waypoints".

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Ha, I started counting, but lost interest.

I had the same initial thought that @RWerksman did, but changed my mind for two reasons:

1) I counted the Western part of the country and got to 150, and then decided that there was probably about 4x that across the rest of the country.

2) Rivian is being fairly specific with their "Rivian Adventure Network" being DCFC, 3500 at 600+ locations, and supporting the 140 miles in 20 minutes charging rate. They are referring to the L2 as "Rivian Waypoints".
The chargers on the map are also all where you'd want DCFC (highways, major urban centers, a few charging deserts en route to popular adventure destinations, etc.), and not really where you'd want Waypoints (destinations themselves, overnight stays, parks, etc.). I'd wager that's a "production intent" DCFC map.

(Enthusiasm damp(en)er: There are places on Tesla's supercharger map that have been marked as "planned" since well before I preordered a Model 3. I place more faith in R.J.'s timeliness than Elon's, but I've been hurt before.)

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
They don't exist yet, nfrank, so there is no such map. As posted above, they haven't even pulled any permits. Rivian may know about where they want them, but not even they know where exactly they will end up.

I assume it will be like the official Tesla map, and they'll put pins in areas they EXPECT to build, and even then, the pin will be on the geographic center of that town, and not necessarily the exact planned location.

Still, this is aggressive. I love it.

By the way people......BUY when the IPO hits. This is why they're raising capital. You're literally going to be investing in the future enjoyment of your vehicle.

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Where are the Photoshop pros? Please overlay the Tesla SC map on the Rivian map and then we can zoom in and see where these are!

johnnylawson

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 RAV4 EV, 2012 Volt
Occupation
Solutions Architect / Developer
Clubs

I was looking to see if I saw any hints of the exclusive Rivian chargers being free for Rivian owners - at least for a period of time. I like the exclusivity of it - but would be nice to note if it was going to be free or not. Not a huge deal, but that would really be awesome.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
I've looked at this a number of times, trying to figure out how to get to Alaska with my Model X and Airstream. It's possible, but only by doing this:

https://alaskaferry.com/FerrySchedules/AlaskaFerryInformation

?
A few years back, I read about someone who drove a Model X to Tuktoyaktuk.

To get through northeastern BC and the northern half of the Yukon, I can only assume the driver had some kind of special help. Perhaps he contacted the electric utilities ahead of time and they made something available.

North of highway 16 in BC (Banff/Prince George/ Prince Rupert) there is a clump of chargers around Fort St John ... and, really nothing else. In northern Yukon, there's a low level charger in Dawson City ... and, a lot of road with no chargers at all.

Do I want to go there? Oh ya, for sure!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Product Management
Where are the Photoshop pros? Please overlay the Tesla SC map on the Rivian map and then we can zoom in and see where these are!
Here's a very rough, lazily traced version of WA. Notably unlike Tesla, they have Hwy 12 (Rainier!), and something Newhalem ish making North Cascades more doable.
Rivian R1T R1S New Official Rivian Adventure Network and Charging Station Info 1616098556315
Sponsored