First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
They are certainly scrambling with a lot of money, one battery plant is nearing completion and they just announced a second one. The new Lyric is also now out testing.
I am glad to see investment in U.S manufacturing and welcome all competition to the EV market. Hopefully we will have a robust and competitive U.S ev market that can stand on it's own with incentives, tariffs or other market manipulation very soon.
Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I took a look at the ‘Charging’ page and see “Charging rates of over 200kW initially and 300kW+ in the future” in context of their DCFC network. My question is: Will the chargers be able to charge a current R1T,R1S at 300kW or do we need to wait for new vehicles?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I took a look at the ‘Charging’ page and see “Charging rates of over 200kW initially and 300kW+ in the future” in context of their DCFC network. My question is: Will the chargers be able to charge a current R1T,R1S at 300kW or do we need to wait for new vehicles?
300kW charging will definitely not be available with initial R1 deliveries. There have been statements from Rivian leading us to believe this will come later via OTA update. However, given a less than 100% accurracy rate for info being shared, I don't think it is reasonable to consider this a definitive answer at this point.

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
300kW charging will definitely not be available with initial R1 deliveries. There have been statements from Rivian leading us to believe this will come later via OTA update. However, given a less than 100% accurracy rate for info being shared, I don't think it is reasonable to consider this a definitive answer at this point.
I just chatted with customer service:

CS:

Happy Friday! Justin here happy to help with any questions you may have!

Me:
Hi. I have a question about the dc fast charging network. There’s a statement: Charging rates of over 200kW initially and 300kW+ in the future. Will the R1T I’ve preordered be able to charge at the 300kW+ in the future?

CS:

That's a great question and thanks for being a member of our community! We are always exploring new ways to unlock more value from the R1. Through over the air updates, the performance and capability will be improved for vehicle systems.

Me:

So, that is a vehicle limitation, not a charger limitation? I.e. if I go to an electrify America 350kW fast charger than I should expect 200kW of charging?

CS:

Rivian vehicles will benefit from DC fast charging. For instance, at a Rivian Adventure Network site, you can expect a rate of charge of 140 miles in just 20 minutes.

Although lots of DC fast charging will have adverse impacts to battery life, we've thought about that. We have advanced systems in the vehicle to keep the battery at optimum temperatures while charging to ensure we minimize any impacts!

Me:

Ok, but that doesn’t answer my question. What is the charging rate (in kW) of the R1T? Will you be able the change the charging rates using an over the air update?

CS:

Sorry about that! One moment while I gather more information for you. How is your day going so far?

Me:

Going well. You?

CS:

Doing great, it's Friday after all!

I spoke with the respective teams and talked briefly about your question. Currently, the onboard charger is capable of providing 11 kW of charging power to the battery of the R1T and the R1S. Also, you're correct in stating that Rivian's accept speeds over 200kW initially, up to 300kW in the future. Unfortunately we don't have any further details at this time.

Me:

Ok, so I should expect my particular Rivian to have a software upgrade to get me to 300kW, but later? Or should I read this you will come out with a new model later that gets up to 300kW?

CS:

You're correct in stating that the capacities can be improved via an over the air software update. These updates will ensure we can unlock even more potential for you regarding performance and capacity, even extended battery range over time!

Do you have any further questions for me? You have brought up some great topics today!

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

^^ LOL, TLDR, Maybe, possibly, probably, sure why not. Just list architecture specs and call it a day I say.

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Just finished going through this great thread. I was suprised to NOT see this information from the Rivian FAQ site as part of the newly-announced Experience information:

What are charge station levels?
Charging levels describe the rate at which you can charge your battery. These terms are industry standards and used as labels so you can quickly identify how powerful a specific charge station is.

Level 3: DC fast charging — the quickest charge available. On the Rivian Adventure Network, you will initially be able charge an R1T and R1S up to 140 miles in 20 minutes. That rate can increase with over-the-air software updates. In addition to the Adventure Network, Rivian vehicles can also use public DC fast chargers.

Level 2: Public and home charging — capable of charging roughly 16-25 miles of range per hour depending on the electrical current available. Level 2 charging is accessible through the Wall Charger, Rivian Waypoint chargers, public charging sites and by using our Portable Charger with 240V outlets.

Level 1: A slower charge — handy if you need to top off on a regular household outlet. Using the Rivian Portable Charger with a standard 120-volt outlet, you will get a few miles of charge per hour.

bold- my addition

Doesn't this confirm faster charging will be enabled in the future via OTA updates?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just finished going through this great thread. I was suprised to NOT see this information from the Rivian FAQ site as part of the newly-announced Experience information:

What are charge station levels?
Charging levels describe the rate at which you can charge your battery. These terms are industry standards and used as labels so you can quickly identify how powerful a specific charge station is.

Level 3: DC fast charging — the quickest charge available. On the Rivian Adventure Network, you will initially be able charge an R1T and R1S up to 140 miles in 20 minutes. That rate can increase with over-the-air software updates. In addition to the Adventure Network, Rivian vehicles can also use public DC fast chargers.

Level 2: Public and home charging — capable of charging roughly 16-25 miles of range per hour depending on the electrical current available. Level 2 charging is accessible through the Wall Charger, Rivian Waypoint chargers, public charging sites and by using our Portable Charger with 240V outlets.

Level 1: A slower charge — handy if you need to top off on a regular household outlet. Using the Rivian Portable Charger with a standard 120-volt outlet, you will get a few miles of charge per hour.

bold- my addition

Doesn't this confirm faster charging will be enabled in the future via OTA updates?
That is how I have read it, seems pretty clear, I tried to read it differently but do not see how it says anything else.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I just chatted with customer service:

CS:

Happy Friday! Justin here happy to help with any questions you may have!

Me:
Hi. I have a question about the dc fast charging network. There’s a statement: Charging rates of over 200kW initially and 300kW+ in the future. Will the R1T I’ve preordered be able to charge at the 300kW+ in the future?

CS:

That's a great question and thanks for being a member of our community! We are always exploring new ways to unlock more value from the R1. Through over the air updates, the performance and capability will be improved for vehicle systems.

Me:

So, that is a vehicle limitation, not a charger limitation? I.e. if I go to an electrify America 350kW fast charger than I should expect 200kW of charging?

CS:

Rivian vehicles will benefit from DC fast charging. For instance, at a Rivian Adventure Network site, you can expect a rate of charge of 140 miles in just 20 minutes.

Although lots of DC fast charging will have adverse impacts to battery life, we've thought about that. We have advanced systems in the vehicle to keep the battery at optimum temperatures while charging to ensure we minimize any impacts!

Me:

Ok, but that doesn’t answer my question. What is the charging rate (in kW) of the R1T? Will you be able the change the charging rates using an over the air update?

CS:

Sorry about that! One moment while I gather more information for you. How is your day going so far?

Me:

Going well. You?

CS:

Doing great, it's Friday after all!

I spoke with the respective teams and talked briefly about your question. Currently, the onboard charger is capable of providing 11 kW of charging power to the battery of the R1T and the R1S. Also, you're correct in stating that Rivian's accept speeds over 200kW initially, up to 300kW in the future. Unfortunately we don't have any further details at this time.

Me:

Ok, so I should expect my particular Rivian to have a software upgrade to get me to 300kW, but later? Or should I read this you will come out with a new model later that gets up to 300kW?

CS:

You're correct in stating that the capacities can be improved via an over the air software update. These updates will ensure we can unlock even more potential for you regarding performance and capacity, even extended battery range over time!

Do you have any further questions for me? You have brought up some great topics today!
^^ LOL, TLDR, Maybe, possibly, probably, sure why not. Just list architecture specs and call it a day I say.
Im with you kanundrum. This reads to me like a CS rep who is trying to be helpful, doesn't know the answer, and ends up saying battery capacity can be improved over time. Which wasn't even the question. I don't blame them, I just think we are getting our hopes up and reading too much into CS reps who are probably trying to answer a technical question when they have a non-technical spec sheet in front of them (I can imagine they have similar info as we do right now).

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Im with you kanundrum. This reads to me like a CS rep who is trying to be helpful, doesn't know the answer, and ends up saying battery capacity can be improved over time. Which wasn't even the question. I don't blame them, I just think we are getting our hopes up and reading too much into CS reps who are probably trying to answer a technical question when they have a non-technical spec sheet in front of them (I can imagine they have similar info as we do right now).

Ive been trying to find evidence of which voltage architecture they will be using but only their patent states 900v as well as their DC charging.

https://insideevs.com/news/427197/rivian-electric-truck-patent-charging-rate/

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That is how I have read it, seems pretty clear, I tried to read it differently but do not see how it says anything else.
This probably the clearest piece of info I've seen. Playing devil's advocate, increasing the rate could also just mean flattening the curve our and extending the peak out.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
This can be construed as an update to the L3 Adventure Charger itself.

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Ive been trying to find evidence of which voltage architecture they will be using but only their patent states 900v as well as their DC charging.

https://insideevs.com/news/427197/rivian-electric-truck-patent-charging-rate/
Same with most of us. RJ had said at one point 400/450v initially due to a lack of 800v hardware available off the shelf. It seem like that's changed given the EGMP platform rollout (unless they're manufacturing their own), and the Porsche/Audi architecture's. But I'm not holding my breath for that, or for the switch the parent refers too. I'm just assuming they're shipping with 450v. If they surprise us with hardware capability but maybe not software I'll be pleasantly surprised.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This probably the clearest piece of info I've seen. Playing devil's advocate, increasing the rate could also just mean flattening the curve our and extending the peak out.
Great point...

This is true and certainly happened with my Model S on an OTA and I know the peak did not change, just how long it stayed at the higher levels.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If the initial vehicles will never be capable of the higher charge rates, that is likely to move me away from the LE and delay purchase.
If they do not have provision for V2G/H (or an OTA update to enable the CCS specs when finalized), that is enough to give significant consideration to a delay.

900V charging and V2G/H are significant advances that a high end EV should include at this point (IMO).

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

If the initial vehicles will never be capable of the higher charge rates, that is likely to move me away from the LE and delay purchase.
If they do not have provision for V2G/H (or an OTA update to enable the CCS specs when finalized), that is enough to give significant consideration to a delay.

900V charging and V2G/H are significant advances that a high end EV should include at this point (IMO).
My thoughts exactly.
Sponsored