Sponsored

New Motortrend article details Rivian's production plans for Ford, Amazon and own vehicles

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Last edited by a moderator:

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
Is this the first true confirmation that the R1T will start production about 3 months before the R1S?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Is this the first true confirmation that the R1T will start production about 3 months before the R1S?
That is the way it has been since I have been following Rivian. That has been stated in multiple articles and videos on YouTube.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
I will ask to confirm this weekend in SF....

Sponsored

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
That is the way it has been since I have been following Rivian. That has been stated in multiple articles and videos on YouTube.
It has been stated many times in articles and things awhile back and it’s what I’ve been expecting all along. Not everyone was convinced though. This just seems like the most official statement now that we’re nearing production. Very excited.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Thanks for posting @SpinDoc7 ! Excellent article and update regarding the production process and timeline. (Pardon my excitement if it's belated relative to the news. Trying to catch up after been away from forums for a while - family member passed.) I initially read a GMAuthority article ("Rivian EV Production Details Come To Light") posted this morning announcing basically the same thing albeit much briefer. Found it interesting coming from a GM viewpoint website considering GM negotiations with Rivian fell through.

I was hoping it wouldn't be the last month of 2020 but I guess I'm not surprised. So the earliest R1S will be available will be March 2021. Not that I didn't already figure on a 2021 delivery but it's nice to see something a little more specific. So at least another year+ of hurry up and wait. :(

After dozens and dozens of articles and videos I've read/seen along with chats with Rivian reps at a Rivian event this is the first I've read a more specific time frame of "3 months." It's always been since the reveal Nov 2018 the "R1S will follow the R1T into production" never knowing how long "follow" equated to. I'll have to say I had been optimistically thinking/hoping the R1S would follow the R1T would be within a calendar quarter. Probably a good thing as they shake out and tweak any assembly line issues. Now it's a matter of where one is within in the unpublished and guarded pre-order waiting list line. I wonder if Rivian will release that info once they start production. @Lmirafuente , maybe you can ask some Rivian reps if they have any plans to release this info, at least to the pre-order holders?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Now it's a matter of where one is within in the unpublished and guarded pre-order waiting list line.
That and their production rate. I haven't heard anything about how many vehicles they plan to complete per week/month.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Thanks for posting @SpinDoc7 ! Excellent article and update regarding the production process and timeline. (Pardon my excitement if it's belated relative to the news. Trying to catch up after been away from forums for a while - family member passed.) I initially read a GMAuthority article ("Rivian EV Production Details Come To Light") posted this morning announcing basically the same thing albeit much briefer. Found it interesting coming from a GM viewpoint website considering GM negotiations with Rivian fell through.

I was hoping it wouldn't be the last month of 2020 but I guess I'm not surprised. So the earliest R1S will be available will be March 2021. Not that I didn't already figure on a 2021 delivery but it's nice to see something a little more specific. So at least another year+ of hurry up and wait. :(

After dozens and dozens of articles and videos I've read/seen along with chats with Rivian reps at a Rivian event this is the first I've read a more specific time frame of "3 months." It's always been since the reveal Nov 2018 the "R1S will follow the R1T into production" never knowing how long "follow" equated to. I'll have to say I had been optimistically thinking/hoping the R1S would follow the R1T would be within a calendar quarter. Probably a good thing as they shake out and tweak any assembly line issues. Now it's a matter of where one is within in the unpublished and guarded pre-order waiting list line. I wonder if Rivian will release that info once they start production. @Lmirafuente , maybe you can ask some Rivian reps if they have any plans to release this info, at least to the pre-order holders?
I certainly have been taking notes for questions to ask.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
That and their production rate. I haven't heard anything about how many vehicles they plan to complete per week/month.
Absolutely. RJ has been quoted that they estimate 20k to 40k in first full year (2021). I read somewhere even a 2020 estimate but I don't recall where. IIRC it may have been 5k but that was based on a full 4Q (3 months) of production. Clearly that's no longer the case for 2020.

Sources: Investopedia and InsideEVs article both reference New York Times. Other sources found but much earlier in 2019.
Sponsored