New Gear Test: iKamper RTT, Yakima Slim Shady, Yakima Skinny Warrior

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I’ve been acquiring some new gear over the last couple of months and finally got the opportunity for an outing last week. Basic setup is an iKamper Skycamp mini 3.0 mounted on the bed rails. I added the iKamper awning to this setup…was skeptical that the R1T bed mount would be high enough to allow deployment of the iKamper awning…as you can see in the photos, it is doable but not ideal during a rain event due to negative pitch back towards the truck corners. For shade, it works great because the awning support poles are adjustable and you can raise them for added clearance. My setup in these photos is in the lowest pole setting with the truck in the highest setting. There was a significant rain event during the second night…RTT stayed cozy dry and awning shed water back towards the front and rear corners of the truck.

During one night, I coupled the Yakima Slim Shady with the awning. As you can see, it can work but there is some awkward overlap that you have to work around. I don’t think you can move the Slim Shady far enough forward to avoid the overlap.

I’m still tweaking my optimum setup but overall am impressed with the gear, accessories, and integration with the truck. Here are some photos stowed and deployed.

Rivian R1T R1S New Gear Test: iKamper RTT, Yakima Slim Shady, Yakima Skinny Warrior 7DE39913-17E7-4628-BF2E-2650FDA61E76

Rivian R1T R1S New Gear Test: iKamper RTT, Yakima Slim Shady, Yakima Skinny Warrior 5327ADAB-FAE6-4F5B-8B6F-FF026FAFC0CC

Rivian R1T R1S New Gear Test: iKamper RTT, Yakima Slim Shady, Yakima Skinny Warrior 9EC1E25A-6503-4D4A-A27A-F1EB8BDCEC97
Rivian R1T R1S New Gear Test: iKamper RTT, Yakima Slim Shady, Yakima Skinny Warrior 70FE970A-4335-4F08-A4EC-0E6EE2B0642C

Rivian R1T R1S New Gear Test: iKamper RTT, Yakima Slim Shady, Yakima Skinny Warrior C1CE1786-F379-404E-A146-5183A3565629

Rivian R1T R1S New Gear Test: iKamper RTT, Yakima Slim Shady, Yakima Skinny Warrior 769F16DD-8B9C-4316-BEC5-1672341231CA

Rivian R1T R1S New Gear Test: iKamper RTT, Yakima Slim Shady, Yakima Skinny Warrior 3FE197DF-1EDC-490F-9E1B-A60DEDDBF346

Rivian R1T R1S New Gear Test: iKamper RTT, Yakima Slim Shady, Yakima Skinny Warrior DDB3669A-2CBD-4029-9A4C-D9C40D5AA648

Rivian R1T R1S New Gear Test: iKamper RTT, Yakima Slim Shady, Yakima Skinny Warrior F5E4692F-CF8A-41D1-9035-54E9E0476E0B
Sponsored

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Looks like a great setup! I was wondering if the awning would be worth it, it looks like it is, with the caveat, like you mentioned, that extra attention needs to be paid to the drain path, when rain is in the forecast.

I also like that tarp! Would have never thought of that. Can you share more details on that?

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looks like a great setup! I was wondering if the awning would be worth it, it looks like it is, with the caveat, like you mentioned, that extra attention needs to be paid to the drain path, when rain is in the forecast.

I also like that tarp! Would have never thought of that. Can you share more details on that?
Are you asking about the ground tarp? It’s a foldable RV mat…lightweight weave that dries quickly and comes in a portable carry bag. Several sizes to choose from. Luxury item when you have the space!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KP6234T?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I really need to sell my iKamper xCover to get a xCover Mini or SkyCamp Mini. The xCover is just too big for the R1T‘s truck bed.

Anyways, on the ladder, what do you think of those HC Steps? It seemed like a pointless accessory to me but I wanted to see if you’ve had a different thought/experience with it.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I really need to sell my iKamper xCover to get a xCover Mini or SkyCamp Mini. The xCover is just too big for the R1T‘s truck bed.

Anyways, on the ladder, what do you think of those HC Steps? It seemed like a pointless accessory to me but I wanted to see if you’ve had a different thought/experience with it.
I had the same thoughts but gave it a shot during the Black Friday sale. After using them, they’re a nice feature if you leave your shoes outside the tent and are climbing/descending in bare feet or stocking feet. Without shoes, I was always very deliberate about placing the ball of my bare foot on the ladder rung…with the HC steps, you just shove your foot into the tread/riser pocket like you would a conventional stair step. This is especially helpful during pre-dawn nature calls.

if you have kids or if your balance isn’t as keen as it once was then I’d recommend them. With the 3.0 mini, you can fold the tent up while leaving them installed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another observation about the Skycamp is that significant rainfall against the hard shell side is rather loud. I’ve always thought rain against a tent was soothing and helped me sleep. Hearing rain against the hard shell (which is where your head is) made me think it was hailing. No way you’re sleeping through a hard blowing rain that’s hitting your clam shell.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Very nice.

I'd never come home.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Another observation about the Skycamp is that significant rainfall against the hard shell side is rather loud. I’ve always thought rain against a tent was soothing and helped me sleep. Hearing rain against the hard shell (which is where your head is) made me think it was hailing. No way you’re sleeping through a hard blowing rain that’s hitting your clam shell.
Thanks for that information. I have been planning on getting the X-Cover mini for exactly this reason. I am lucky to live reasonably near iKamper HQ, where they have a showroom with most of their models set up. The salesman told me they had installed a lot of these on Rivians already (which I believe because I have seen a lot of Rivians with iKamper tents around here). He asked why I was interested in the X-Cover mini and not the Skycamp mini, which is what people usually choose for their Rivian. I brought up my concern about the rain noise - rain is expected around here when camping, so it's always something to consider! He said that wasn't something he'd ever heard complaints about.

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for that information. I have been planning on getting the X-Cover mini for exactly this reason. I am lucky to live reasonably near iKamper HQ, where they have a showroom with most of their models set up. The salesman told me they had installed a lot of these on Rivians already (which I believe because I have seen a lot of Rivians with iKamper tents around here). He asked why I was interested in the X-Cover mini and not the Skycamp mini, which is what people usually choose for their Rivian. I brought up my concern about the rain noise - rain is expected around here when camping, so it's always something to consider! He said that wasn't something he'd ever heard complaints about.
The noise isn’t any more noticeable than a conventional tent in a normal rain event, but if it’s blowing directly against the rigid clamshell then it’s quite loud.

an-thu-knee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T (Limestone)
Can you estimate the % hit on efficiency you've experienced with the skycamp mini?

Sponsored

OP
OP
EVTrukHog

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you estimate the % hit on efficiency you've experienced with the skycamp mini?
When mounted below cab height, any efficiency hit is negligible. When mounted at cab height on the 18” bed rack, the hit is about 10%. YMMV

Falco

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Managing Partner at Professional Integrations
Thanks for sharing. This is exactly the setup I am looking for.
Sponsored