Sponsored

New EV Charger ready and awaiting the R1T (Dino Electric)

OP
OP
time

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I just ordered new signage for the front of this. Mocked up a few different suggestions. Joules was fun, but ended up going with "J-1772" signifying the plug type. At least then the signage means something I suppose. When the signage arrives I'll post updated pics.

Rivian R1T R1S New EV Charger ready and awaiting the R1T (Dino Electric) 1614385926058

Found one more issue with pulling the cord inside the cabinet. It hangs a bit on some metal work inside and I'm worried about wear. I need some roller wheels to guide the cord internally. So I'm not 100% done with Phase 1 yet. I ordered some misc parts from Amazon to see if I can build a quick solution. I really want to be able to quickly pull the cord in and out. Really wish I could get a retractable power cord solution. They exist for this wire / cord size, but cost over a grand. Maybe a Phase 3 thing or something way down the road.

It's be really cool if the numbers rolled back as you charged !!
Planned for a phase 2 of this build. My plan is to go with an OpenEVSE charger and tie into the data output to drive an Arduino + servos for the number wheels. New numerical wheels need to be designed and 3D printed. The 3D work is beyond my skill set, but I've already tested the Arduino data capture and driving a servo. That was easy enough. So its going to happen... but I've got a few more projects to take care of before I start the rolling numbers project. I'm going to try to outsource the 3D / printing work when I get back to this.
Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I'm guessing the Dino Electric pump costs more than the BMW i3!! WELL DONE!

OP
OP
time

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The basic (reproduction) pump costs under a grand on eBay, no idea how much the electric conversion cost him.
The reproductions are out there but I have no idea how their quality is. I suspect they might not work well outside for too long. Time will tell how mine holds up in direct sun. The enamel signage will probably be good forever, but my new electric signage will be modern aluminum plate printing. The repo looks like its using all vinyl stickers. Personally I think the price is a bit high for what you get with the reproductions. From that ebay listing looks like they've sold a lot though.

The custom J-1772 cord is were the time/cost is. The cord and new J1772 end is $200 alone. The aluminum pump handles are $50-100. But say budget at least an extra grand just in tinker / trail and error money.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Excellent!!!

OP
OP
time

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Are you looking for something along these lines?
I literally bought that blue mount from Amazon :like: But it was too large for how it needs to mount inside the pump. Its otherwise is perfect for EV cord size. This is what I ordered for my next experiment.

Rivian R1T R1S New EV Charger ready and awaiting the R1T (Dino Electric) Capture.PNG
I think I can mount this using an existing hole in the frame. Trying to avoid making new holes if possible. Looking inside I'm not happy with how the EVSE is mounted either. It works, but its not finish quality. I'm going to order a new mounting plate CNC'd out of aluminum. I'll post pics inside once I get the cord roller and EVSE property mounted. There's a ChargePoint Home inside there now, sort of thinking of switching over to the OpenEVSE if I can get a tax credit for buying another charger. Can always use a second charger.

Swanson4

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1500 Ram
Love it!
I have been looking for an old style pump to convert over. Amazing how small minds work the same.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I literally bought that blue mount from Amazon :like: But it was too large for how it needs to mount inside the pump. Its otherwise is perfect for EV cord size. This is what I ordered for my next experiment.

Capture.PNG
I think I can mount this using an existing hole in the frame. Trying to avoid making new holes if possible. Looking inside I'm not happy with how the EVSE is mounted either. It works, but its not finish quality. I'm going to order a new mounting plate CNC'd out of aluminum. I'll post pics inside once I get the cord roller and EVSE property mounted. There's a ChargePoint Home inside there now, sort of thinking of switching over to the OpenEVSE if I can get a tax credit for buying another charger. Can always use a second charger.
I did note a bunch of other garden hose guide options that I can’t seem to locate now. They popped up with a simple, generic search on Amazon. I’m guessing you want one that opens to allow you to not have to disassemble your EVSE line out to the vehicle in order to thread it through the guide, correct? I’ll probably get that answer when I take my ChargePoint Home Flex out of the box. Mine just arrived this evening, and I hope to get it hardwired soon. DucRider gave me fantastic feedback on that unit and EVSE variants, in general. Luckily, it will work on the ELR until the R1T rolls off the line.

Best of luck with your very cool Dino charger. That thing looks awesome!

By the way, have you thought about changing Ethyl’s name to “Gas-X”, “Beano”, “Imodium” or either “Pepto” or “Pepto-Bismol”? What better way to say you’re now “Anti-gas”?

Looking forward to hearing about your progress on this very cool development!

JLiz5

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mercedes GLE350, 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Sales
Brilliant! Siemens makes a retractor for their EV Charge post, it says it’s universal...a little less than half what you referenced at $1,000 but still expensive. Cat
No. VCCMSSP

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
My dad had a service station for nearly 50 years, in a state that it’s still illegal to pump gas. He was full service the entire time. Even when I was just helping out I would get scolded for not washing windows or checking oil.
Your post made me smile. My dad also had various gas stations (one at a time) over say 30-35 yrs. He was also a stickler about providing the customer with the "full service" experience. He's ethos to his workers was I'm not paying you to sit around, there's always something that needs to be done - sweep the drive, cut the grass, paint the curbs, restock inventory, etc. I actually miss those days ... as I miss him. (RIP pops)

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I showed my wife this thread a couple of months ago, and look what showed up as a birthday present yesterday. I have already removed the hose and handle to start working on the modification. It will be installed in the garage, not outside.

Rivian R1T R1S New EV Charger ready and awaiting the R1T (Dino Electric) Dino

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
That is love.

Psee