Sponsored

New EV Charger ready and awaiting the R1T (Dino Electric)

OP
OP
time

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Update:

Rivian R1T R1S New EV Charger ready and awaiting the R1T (Dino Electric) 20210331_192952

I received the custom graphics. But the Dino Electric ad glass printing looks bad. I ordered some custom hand painted ad glass from a pump restorer but I'm still waiting on that. My J-1772 decals are slightly too small. I may have those recut but its a low priority item. So far everything is holding up outside just fine.

The cable management upgrade is done. I can manually pull the cable inside the pump and then pull it out very smoothly. Maybe some day I'll build a self winding reel. But powering 40 amps through the hub (guessing with bushes? or copper springs) would take some real engineering.

I've moved on to other projects for the moment but I'd like to return to this eventually and plus it up some more.

Rivian R1T R1S New EV Charger ready and awaiting the R1T (Dino Electric) 20210331_193224

Rivian R1T R1S New EV Charger ready and awaiting the R1T (Dino Electric) 20210331_193159

I had been attempting to assemble my own charger using the OpenEVSE platform. The EVSE is the part that actually dose the electric bits. The pump is otherwise just a shell for that. I've however since given up on that platform. Just problem after problem with OpenEVSE and this is something I just need to work consistently. I don't recommend those now. I made a custom mounting plate and re-mounted my 32A ChargePoint Home inside the pump using my custom cable.

ChargePoint works 100% every time. The app & wifi are belter than anything else I've seen so no complaints. My J1772 cable wire will handle 40A so I may eventually upgrade my ChargePoint to the newer 40A version at some point.

Here's a pro tip that took me a month to figure out - original ChargePoint cables have a magnet on the end that plugs into the unit. This is not part of the cable specification. Its just something that company is doing. If the magnet isn't there, the charger will only output 3.6kw/h regardless of what settings you have set on the EVSE. If you're building a custom cable, and using ChargePoint, you must add that magnet to get full output. I think its to tell the charger you have a cable that is capable of safely transferring the 7.2kw.

Rivian R1T R1S New EV Charger ready and awaiting the R1T (Dino Electric) 20210331_193037
Sponsored

OP
OP
time

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
I showed my wife this thread a couple of months ago, and look what showed up as a birthday present yesterday. I have already removed the hose and handle to start working on the modification. It will be installed in the garage, not outside.
That Tokheim pump is a good find. You're going to be able to get parts a lot easier than my Bowser 595. Especially if you want to ever update the porcelain faceplate to read KW/H. I'm finding that the faceplates I have are rare. Glad to see someone else making one. Its a fun toy. Mine gets a lot of attention outside but so far no issues. Putting it in the garage is better since you won't need to worry about UV fade or waterproofing. I don't park my EV in the garage so it didn't make sense for me.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
That Tokheim pump is a good find. You're going to be able to get parts a lot easier than my Bowser 595. Especially if you want to ever update the porcelain faceplate to read KW/H. I'm finding that the faceplates I have are rare. Glad to see someone else making one. Its a fun toy. Mine gets a lot of attention outside but so far no issues. Putting it in the garage is better since you won't need to worry about UV fade or waterproofing. I don't park my EV in the garage so it didn't make sense for me.
I am not going to go as fancy as yours. I just ordered a 20ft 40A extension cable for J-1772 and plan on mounting that to the pump, then being able to plug in my regular cable from the Charge Point into the pump behind it, thus hidden. I will just put in a J1772 socket on the side and use the charger plug, without the gas pump handle, at least for now. The gas pump handle that came with mine is too small for the cable.

Last edited:

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
@time, I found this retractable chord, but it only handles 30A, and I needed 40A.

It would be nice if they sold the retract mechanism separately.

Sponsored

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Update:

20210331_192952.jpg

I received the custom graphics. But the Dino Electric ad glass printing looks bad. I ordered some custom hand painted ad glass from a pump restorer but I'm still waiting on that. My J-1772 decals are slightly too small. I may have those recut but its a low priority item. So far everything is holding up outside just fine.

The cable management upgrade is done. I can manually pull the cable inside the pump and then pull it out very smoothly. Maybe some day I'll build a self winding reel. But powering 40 amps through the hub (guessing with bushes? or copper springs) would take some real engineering.

I've moved on to other projects for the moment but I'd like to return to this eventually and plus it up some more.

20210331_193224.jpg

20210331_193159.jpg

I had been attempting to assemble my own charger using the OpenEVSE platform. The EVSE is the part that actually dose the electric bits. The pump is otherwise just a shell for that. I've however since given up on that platform. Just problem after problem with OpenEVSE and this is something I just need to work consistently. I don't recommend those now. I made a custom mounting plate and re-mounted my 32A ChargePoint Home inside the pump using my custom cable.

ChargePoint works 100% every time. The app & wifi are belter than anything else I've seen so no complaints. My J1772 cable wire will handle 40A so I may eventually upgrade my ChargePoint to the newer 40A version at some point.

Here's a pro tip that took me a month to figure out - original ChargePoint cables have a magnet on the end that plugs into the unit. This is not part of the cable specification. Its just something that company is doing. If the magnet isn't there, the charger will only output 3.6kw/h regardless of what settings you have set on the EVSE. If you're building a custom cable, and using ChargePoint, you must add that magnet to get full output. I think its to tell the charger you have a cable that is capable of safely transferring the 7.2kw.

20210331_193037.jpg
You're a trend setter! These are awesome.