Sponsored

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
A little more on charging, service and warranties

Rivian R1T R1S New Email with more info on Charging, Warranties, and Service. Screenshot_20210409-133037~2

We’ve received a lot of great feedback and questions over the past few weeks as we’ve been releasing information on charging, service and warranties. We wanted to share answers to some of the more common questions that came in.

CHARGING
Q: Will Rivian Adventure Network sites be able to handle vehicles pulling a trailer?

Yes, many will. As we select and install locations, we study traffic flow into our sites and consider charger placement to account for vehicles towing trailers. While not every site will be able to accommodate a trailer, we do factor it into our selection criteria. Our app and in-vehicle navigation will indicate which locations support trailer pull through.

CHARGING
Q: There was reference to a “J1772 charging plug.” What is that?

This is the type of charging plug used by most electric vehicle makers, including Rivian. Sometimes referred to as a “J-plug,” using this plug type makes our vehicles compatible with CCS charging networks, and allows other EVs to use our Waypoint and Wall Chargers.

CHARGING
Q: Isn’t your Wall Charger just a connector, with the actual charger on board the vehicle?

Yes, that’s correct. All AC chargers are technically AC connectors that send AC current to the vehicle’s on-board charger, which is then converted to DC current and delivered to the battery. However, in conversations over the years with EV owners, we noticed people usually refer to them as “chargers,” not “connectors.” We went with the name most people use.

SERVICE
Q: When calling about service, who do I call—the Service Team or my Guide?

Either is fine. The Rivian Service Support Team is available 24/7, staffed with Rivian Service employees who have extensive training on your vehicle. They are always here to help and will be your primary point of contact in setting up service appointments and getting issues addressed. If you prefer, you can also contact your Guide who will ensure you get connected to the right person.

SERVICE
Q: How do over-the-air (OTA) updates work?

You’ll receive a notification and details on the update via the Rivian app and through your in-vehicle information display. You can perform the update immediately or delay it until a more convenient time (during an OTA update, your vehicle is inoperable and needs to be in park). Updates are best delivered through WiFi but can also be performed over a cellular network. You can also schedule updates to occur at night, so they don’t interrupt your day. The duration of each update varies depending on the size of the update and your Internet speed, but they are typically well under an hour.

WARRANTIES
Q: For how long is Roadside Assistance included with my vehicle?

Roadside Assistance is included in our new vehicle warranty—for 5 years or 60,000 miles. You can also extend Roadside Assistance beyond your warranty. We’ll share details on this extension when ordering your vehicle.

Thanks for all the great questions. If you missed our recent charging and service posts, we’ve included them below. If you have more questions, please visit our Support Center where you can also find links to call, chat or email. Look for more updates soon!

— The Guides
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not sure any of this is "new" information for anyone who is active on these forums.

I guess I'm glad Rivian is giving us the "official" go-ahead to call them "chargers" instead of making me type "charging station" or "EVSE" to not sound stupid in every post here :CWL:

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
I am happy to see that the Rivian will connect to WiFi for updates (From email: Updates are best delivered through WiFi but can also be performed over a cellular network.). It will also make controlling the car remotely even faster.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Drip.....drip.....trickle!!!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Ho hum. There's so much info still to be shared, I'm legitimately disappointed.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Ho hum. There's so much info still to be shared, I'm legitimately disappointed.
I think the positive takeaway today is they are actually starting to confirm things. Even the email response about flat towing that was shared today.

For me that is a positive step in the right direction and makes me think come May all of our questions will be answered.

Best of all, we can think them for allowing the opportunity to exercise our patience.

After this we will all be ready for the patience olympics....

bmac

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Navigator, 2014 Audi S4, 2018 GT350 Mustang
For those of us that will be towing, it was great to get confirmation that many of their charging stations will accommodate trailers and that the app will indicate whether the charging location supports.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Disappointing.

There's way too many outstanding questions for them to slow down the release of info, in my opinion.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
After this we will all be ready for the patience olympics....
I'm already disqualified. My championship dreams fell victim to my impulsive & obsessive reality.

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
“Throw them a bone.” - RJ to Customer Communications
A few minutes later, Customer Communications to random intern:
“Just cut and paste some old basic info and sprinkle in some random Google search results like.... ‘What is a J-plug?’ But hurry up because it’s Larry’s birthday and we’re having cake in the break room.”

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

Let’s be honest- 99% of the questions on these forums could be answered by going to Rivian.com or *gasp* reaching out to the Rivian support by chat, email or for those that aren‘t afraid of actual interaction... a phone call.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Let’s be honest- 99% of the questions on these forums could be answered by going to Rivian.com or *gasp* reaching out to the Rivian support by chat, email or for those that aren‘t afraid of actual interaction... a phone call.
Almost all of the questions that have yet to be addressed (and many that have) are completely irrelevant to me (YMMV). I need to see and drive the vehicle, and only then can decide what my "want level" is versus the inevitable trade-offs for my wants/needs inherent in any vehicle. If I (we actually) don't like/want the vehicle, none of the details matter one bit.
I know the price and basic range parameters. Other details like the RAN are great to know and will definitely be part of the pro/con scenario if it comes to that.
Same goes for the value of the LE or Adventure trim vs Max Pack on the Explore. Don't need to make that decision yet (and may not ever have to so why stress about it). Or color. Or wheels.
Sponsored