First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN

Brutal. About the most negative I have ever heard the always optimistic Kyle get.
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I fully expect to see hot weather issues when out in the desert during the summer at 115F /46c and up, but I never imagined that COLD weather would create problems since heat dissipation is usually the limiting factor. Right?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

So EA continues it's perfect record of simply sucking.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I tried the EA that he visits second this afternoon, 3 new units still not working, about -3F. Didn't try the older model since I didn't actually need a charge.

Called EA just to let them know and they were not all that interested, they just wanted me to try the reset process for the individual station; I was just trying to let them know that 3/4 of the plugs were down.

Ugh. I was excited about these new units coming to some of the Colorado locations.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
So EA continues it's perfect record of simply sucking.
Oh boy.. them's fighting words.. expect the EA Defenders to show up any second now...

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Can't make this stuff up... they just can't get their heads out of their a$$es over at EA!

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Oh boy.. them's fighting words.. expect the EA Defenders to show up any second now...
See you are trying to create conflict... seems to be your MO... not going to bite.

Shame the chargers are not working in the cold, it's new equipment so I'll judge them based on what they do next.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

EA has defenders? Seriously?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

EA has defenders? Seriously?
According to @NY_Rob who hasn't had an issue with EA and shares that experience is a defender. In a way that is true I guess but I am just going to call you all ungrateful haters. Don't like EA then don't use it.

And yep I have been very happy with EA. Of course not going to defend their new hardware not working in cold weather

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
This is good to know even if it is bad news. Our trip on Saturday has one station with old chargers (Signet V2) and one with new chargers. I was debating on which to stop at. Old chargers are earlier in the trip so we wouldn't be as low in SoC to get better speeds and wouldn't have as much range at our destination, but if the new ones aren't working we won't make it to our destination. Temps are supposed to be hovering around 0.

Definitely confirms what I was thinking about, starting the trip with 100% charge vs the 85% we normally do is the way to go.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I hope EA charges the repairs back to BTC Power (charger manufacturer according to Kyle).. No one tested these very expensive new units in the cold?

Funny, as Kyle failed to charge at the second EA site which was miles away from the first site... a Model 3 that just successfully charged at the nearby Tesla SC just rolled by.

Last edited:

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
We took our 39-hour old R1S to the mall this morning while my wife shopped for a few last-minute gifts. I dropped her off and pulled up to the EA charging station to see if I could top off the battery for our drive up to Wisconsin. The chargers are only a few months old. 1 of 6 appeared to be out of commission, the first one I tried started at a trickle and remained there. The next one I tried ramped up to about 100kW but dropped on and off. Underwhelming. It's currently on a trickle in the garage during OTA update. Soonest we could get an electrician to come for the charger install is midweek next week.

NMflyfish

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97 Toyota T100, 15 Toyota Prius V, 18 Ram 2500C
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Anyone know if the RAN hardware is more robust to deliver good charging at the high and low temperature extremes?
Sponsored