Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Seriously… how little do some people value their own time if they’re willing to sit at a charger an extra 40+ minutes to eke out to 100%?! I can understand it in some situations when you’re going a particularly long distance to the next chargers or your route takes you far away from chargers, but if you’re continuing on a main highway with other stops? Come on, man!

I guess we need to start hoping for a lot more charging pedestals at every site. 4 clearly isn’t really enough for peak times on major routes. Maybe shared capacity with a minimum is the way to go to keep total charging capacity and electrical service costs down a little while balancing out for fools. It’s not like that ID4 at 90% is drawing much at that point. Maybe 350kW shared by 2 so that they get a minimum of 175kw?I know some networks do 150 or 160 shared across 2 stands. That’s not good enough, but 2 pedestals that total 350 are better than 1 at 350 for many situations.
Sponsored

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
Crowd sourced opinions on Reddit... even better.
I followed your blog about your trip to the Midwest this past summer and I’m glad you had favorable experiences charging, but to just ignore the overwhelming collective experience of others with regard to EA isn’t helpful. At least admit the possibility that not everyone was as fortunate as you and that we are not making these stories up. My hope is that by exposing EA’s weakness they’ll eventually wake up and start improving their network to the point where they can actually compete with the reliability of Tesla’s network.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I followed your blog about your trip to the Midwest this past summer and I’m glad you had favorable experiences charging, but to just ignore the overwhelming collective experience of others with regard to EA isn’t helpful. At least admit the possibility that not everyone was as fortunate as you and that we are not making these stories up. My hope is that by exposing EA’s weakness they’ll eventually wake up and start improving their network to the point where they can actually compete with the reliability of Tesla’s network.
I think you're missing the point. I could go onto Reddit and find 10 posts about positive experiences on EA and then people commenting about how people are constantly overreacting about waiting 20 minutes. No one with something good to say is going to go search on Reddit and find a post with people bitching and give a counter point.

Secondly I have never said that EA is perfect, they have room to improve, it's just not the gloom and doom people are constantly spreading. Fact is that EA is single point of fail (SPOF) in many places in this country, that isn't their fault and they have been smart about insulating against that by installing stations with 4 or more chargers, EVGO, chargepoint operators rarely do that.

To your other point, I think EA has realized that the reliability on their older chargers isn't great. That is the only reason they are installing the new/updated hardware discussed here. I just wish everyone could take a second, breathe and give them a chance to fix the issue on this new hardware they just started rolling out.

Reactions: Guy

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
I think you're missing the point.
I quite agree that most forums can begin to sound like gripe sessions and one can come away with a very negative impression. Compounding the problem is the fact that posting something positive gets one labeled as a “fanboi“ thus discouraging positive comments.

I think if we separate those posts that simply complain about something versus those posts where someone is looking for (or posting) a solution to a problem we’ll come to a much better understanding. Trip blogs like yours, both negative & positive can be very helpful if they are factual and unbiased.

I don’t normally take the time to post trip blogs but I’ve used the Tesla network to travel coast to coast since 2016 and came to trust it implicitly — even in it’s very earliest days. My experience with any CCS network has taught me to verify every station with PlugShare before beginning a trip.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I think both points of view are valid in their own ways. A version of this very discussion is happening in our family. I’m in the “you must plan, analyze, and be patient camp” while my wife is definitely of the “it’s too inconvenient” persuasion. She is not wrong, waiting for 30 minutes for someone to finish so that you can wait another 30 minutes while charging is not a great experience, even if that’s not the case every time. I’m more of the enthusiast and am willing to go for it… however, for a long trip with small kids, I’m not so sure.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Currently on return seattle San Diego road-trip. EA has been great! Did have an issue tonight in Anderson, ca. 1 charger broken, 2 taken by electric buses charging to 100 on delivery trip to Everett, wa and then the typical ID4 charging to 100. Had to wait 40 minutes- first time waiting. Tried to explain to the owner that it would be faster to not charge past 80 at 40kw and just stop in yreka 130 miles north. He got pissy and said he’s charging full.
sacremento rei RAN was awesome. Can’t wait for more!
also, super impressed we were able to do San Diego/Malibu rt without charging
Completed our trip and after 3,080 miles we averaged 2.2 mi/kWh which I’m happy with. Successfully charged at all EAs we stopped at. Only one we couldn’t was the Fortuna RAN out due to earthquake Power outage.
anyone noticing a laggy nav? Also had a nav issue saying I didn’t have enough range for next charging stop despite having over 60 mile buffer which increased to 80 while drafting a fast semi while in driver+. while drafting I was getting 2.8 mini/kWh.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Yep, a few times. Restarting the infotainment system fixed it.
Thanks Rob! I thought about that but was afraid the reset would zero out my trip info.

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Updated the thread title. Definitely some good news. Still, the PR department at EA makes Rivian's look like world class.

Sponsored