Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Unfortunately I stumbled upon this whole looking for Godfodder's configuration.

Point of clarification, they actually don't say what the max charge rate is. They've said it will sustain 200kw+. And that it will charge at 140miles/20 minutes. And vague suggestions of more speed with OTA updates. And at least for period of time the RAN portion of the website was vague enough that it led a lot of people to think the R1 vehicles have the capability of 300kw+ in the future.

Brian Gase told Electrek that they'd be in the 230 to 250kw range.

MotorTrend still says o. Their website:
"early on, R1Ts and R1S SUVs will "only" be capable of a 190-kW peak charge rate, though we're told this will later increase through 200 kW and on to 300 kW or more "in the future.""

I've asked about the confusion and did not get a particularly clear answer.

Neither Electrek or MT has corrected those statements on their websites (I just pulled them both to confirm). Are they wrong? If so, why didnt Rivian reach out to them to correct that? Unless Rivian is planning to push more than 500amps on RAN, you can't achieve either with a 450v battery (225kw max).

So, no, its not clear what the max speeds are. I (and @kanundrum ) have resigned ourselves to set expectations low at this point, but Rivian is anything but forthcoming about the hardware limitations of the R1T.

It's really just another example of really poor communication by Rivian. Publish a charge curve, and communicate the hardware limitations. That'd be easy to do. Other manufacturers do. GM is clear about it with the Hummer.
So did BMW, when they announced the i4. All I am looking for is something like this regarding charging,
Rivian R1T R1S New Delivery Delay Confirmed - My R1T Delivery Pushed From October to end of February, 2022. bmw-i4-2021-leistungs--und-ladekurve-des-i4-m50 (1)
Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
20s look sooo much better than those.
I want to see these without the aero covers. I believe these don’t look bad at all without them.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
All the talk has been the stock lately. My spirit has been lifted after seeing RJ speak (he's Elon without the crazy) . They gifted us about $8k (at the time of this writing, if you purchased all 175 shares).
I know we will get a great vehicle and it's around the corner for many of us. I mean, they have billions in funding now, no excuses. Less than 10 business days left and we should receive the email we have all been waiting for.

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

you mean the email that will simply say, "your vehicle is coming s-0----0-n"

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
you mean the email that will simply say, "your vehicle is coming s-0----0-n"
Yes, I'm expecting to be brought back down to earth. Not sure what the guides have been doing this whole time. Nice gig sitting around not contacting anyone.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
All the talk has been the stock lately. My spirit has been lifted after seeing RJ speak (he's Elon without the crazy) . They gifted us about $8k (at the time of this writing, if you purchased all 175 shares).
I know we will get a great vehicle and it's around the corner for many of us. I mean, they have billions in funding now, no excuses. Less than 10 business days left and we should receive the email we have all been waiting for.
Let's just not let this site devolve into chaos when the email only gives a general window, like 1H of 2022 for LE for example. It's entirely unreasonable for them to provide any individual (outside of any that they know are in the que) with delivery timing at this point, so please don't expect it. They likely only have a realistic line of site on individual orders 2-3 weeks out, which right now is only a couple hundred people (mostly employees).

Hopefully, the IPO has helped people zoom out and see the bigger picture beyond delivery windows down to the day/week or even month for specific people. We should still be thinking in six month chunks at this point.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Not sure what the guides have been doing this whole time. Nice gig sitting around not contacting anyone.
Ain't it obvious... the Guides have been guiding all the lucky employees that got a new R1T ?

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ain't it obvious... the Guides have been guiding all the lucky employees that got a new R1T ?
You say that tongue in cheek but I think that is right. Plus doing first mile events. How better to learn the process than to do it. And as eggpaul said, they really only have detailed information 2-3 weeks out and those are mainly employees. I spoke to employees at the first mile event who have been doing deliveries. Sometimes driving the car to the recipient and sometimes on a flatbed. Sometimes with another driver to take them back and sometimes having to call Uber to return them afterwards.
They are not only dogfooding the trucks but also the guide, delivery and service process.
This is a good thing.

Sponsored

StevePresley

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-S0-0N-: R1S Adv/Lg Pk 22s El Cap.
Occupation
Product Manager for SaaS company
Not sure if this is a delivery or a test drive, but it's sitting on 21s:
Considering the guy on the left is wearing a Rivian name badge, I'm thinking test drive.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Well as I understand it, when they deliver a vehicle to a customer, there’s like a guide person there to walk the customer through the truck’s features. So it could be that ?‍♂

More likely a test drive though, yeah

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Other than Edmunds review, I don't think we've seen any customer test drives on 21s.

Reactions: Rad

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I think Rivian will actually get to a 4000-5000 a month rate by end of 2022 which allows nearly all preorders to be filled for several reasons.
a) they need to demonstrate to the market that they can make a significant number of cars to support a $100 billion valuation
b) they need some revenue coming in otherwise the $12 billion they raised will not cover many years of multi billion dollars losses and a new factory
c) they need to prevent preorder holders wandering off to Ford or others in 2023 if their orders are not filled
d) competition hits up in both the seven seater SUV market and the truck market and they need to capitalize on their head start
e) their factory at 50000 will only be running at 33% capacity with an expansion likely done (if a new factory can be built in 12-18 months how long does a small expansion take) and this is financially ruinous if it took TWO years to get to this rate.

For all the above reasons I expect a more rapid ramp up. If they are running at 600 in December then moving into the thousands a month should not be a huge jump. People have mentioned hiring and that is true, but they have quiet a few staff already and should easily be able to run a shift a day and then move to two a day (seven days a week).
I would add two other items to consider, yes there are supply chain issues but Rivian production is minimally in the perspective of the auto industry so getting 100000 seats, 200000 tires etc should not be a big ask for 50000 vehicles. Also as they can more brand aware orders will come in next year and if existing preorders are not filled until 2023 then new orders will be 2024 and that is going to hit future ordering. People will wait a few months but not 24 months.
Anyway just a few thoughts and I am hopefully for a q4 2022 order fulfillment. Will be interested in q1 ramp up figures.
Sponsored