R1T Launch Edition
Launch Green
Forest Edge interior
20" AT
Off Road package
Spare Tire
Wall Charger
Cross Bars

I knew when I placed the pre-order, that there would likely be some bugs to work out. That is part of being an early adopter. Of course I'm hoping everything is perfect and there are no issues. I'm just saying I'm willing to take my chances.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Any one know how the Tesla increases worked? That is, if you dropped your cash on a reservation, and the price shifted, did people get the original price, or the ne price when they went to pick up the car?

I'm genuinely curious (since Tesla has had multiple price increase this year).
I don't know how the pricing increases worked with Tesla, but I do know that Tesla has removed features that were included at the time a reservation was made. For example, many reservations were made at a time when radar and passenger lumbar were included on the Model Y and then Tesla ultimately delivered the vehicles without those features.

André

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Sprinter, Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Finances
Any one know how the Tesla increases worked? That is, if you dropped your cash on a reservation, and the price shifted, did people get the original price, or the ne price when they went to pick up the car?

When you order a Tesla in their configurator, you receive a purchase agreement and the price is fixed although this year they were shipping later orders with higher price of new Model S while earlier orders at lower price were still waiting their car. When you preorder a RIVIAN there is no contractual agreement and the terms and conditions are stating: “ These Terms do not constitute an agreement for the sale of a Vehicle and do not lock in pricing, a firm production slot, a firm delivery date, or specific Vehicle configuration. To complete the purchase or lease of a Vehicle, you will need to execute Rivian’s standard Order Agreement and Agreement to Purchase (“Final Sales Agreement”) which will include additional terms and conditions, including the final price sheet for the vehicle you ultimately select (“Your Selected Vehicle”).”

Last edited:

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Pre-order 11-26-2018
R1T Launch Edition
Launch Green
Forest Edge interior
20" AT
Off Road package
Spare Tire
Wall Charger
Cross Bars

I knew when I placed the pre-order, that there would likely be some bugs to work out. That is part of being an early adopter. Of course I'm hoping everything is perfect and there are no issues. I'm just saying I'm willing to take my chances.
Fun list. You should be close to the front of the line with these choices. Why not?

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Preordering a Tesla locked in the price at the time you preordered.

Sponsored

André

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Sprinter, Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Finances
Preordering a Tesla locked in the price at the time you preordered.
As Tesla is shipping cars to customers for a while now you actually order it with a purchase agreement, not preorder it like for a RIVIAN as it is not available yet to customers. It’s more like an indication of interest which gives you a spot in the queue line

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

They should have just delayed to next year when they delayed earlier this year if qc is still a concern now.
But then they would lose you as a customer to the Mach-E, Lightning, or other EV actually being delivered on time.

I'm not the least bit surprised by this tactic, and am losing respect for Rivian by the day. If I'm pushed to Feb22, what's another month or two for an F-150 with more room, more spare parts in the future, and a much better frunk? *EDIT* And if the Lightning is under $80k MSRP, should get the full $12.5k credit. It's cheaper too!

FWIW, I'm Dec2018 pre-order for LE R1T LG/FE/20".

Last edited:

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Might have your answer already but when ordering a Tesla you secure the price at time of ordering. If price goes up it doesn’t affect you, however if it goes down you get the lower price.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
The Rivian deposit is a waitlist, not an order. They can change whatever they want or just decide not to offer you a car.

Most of the time there's a step where you actually finalize an order for a custom car but it doesn't sound like that's what Rivian plans to do in the near future, rather building similarly optioned vehicles and offering them to waitlisters in whatever order they see fit.

With that said if there is a change in prices I'd expect it to be rather small, they certainly won't want to push over the rebate cap.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
But then they would lose you as a customer to the Mach-E, Lightning, or other EV actually being delivered on time.

I'm not the least bit surprised by this tactic, and am losing respect for Rivian by the day. If I'm pushed to Feb22, what's another month or two for an F-150 with more room, more spare parts in the future, and a much better frunk? *EDIT* And if the Lightning is under $80k MSRP, should get the full $12.5k credit. It's cheaper too!

FWIW, I'm Dec2018 pre-order for LE R1T LG/FE/20".
I'd be really curious to see how many reservations are cancelled if Ford does start locking in orders soon and provides delivery estimates mid 2022. We will probably never find out unfortunately, but I get a sense that there are a good number of people that just want *a* truck.

Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I'd be really curious to see how many reservations are cancelled if Ford does start locking in orders soon and provides delivery estimates mid 2022. We will probably never find out unfortunately, but I get a sense that there are a good number of people that just want *a* truck.
I'm starting to find myself in that awkward position.

The Ford dealership I selected for my F150 reservation reached out me to start letting me know what to expect.

The first things they informed me of was they would respect, and try to undercut the MSRP.

They also were keen on getting as much of the paperwork and such done via email and DocuSign so that I could come in, pick up my rig, and be gone in minutes.

According to Ford, banks open in Dec, deliveries in "early Spring 2022".

I figured, "Yay? Same thing Rivian is telling me now for mine..."

...except I'm apparently high in the queue (991/160,000), so I'll be up to bat early on.

If the F150 does indeed come in with the $12,500 benefit and will be coming in (for me) months, or even a year+... that's... gunna be a hard call.

The biggest ding for me would be size (won't fit in my garage), and range (300 isn't as much as I want). The rest, I can muddle through if I don't have to deal with a dickhead dealer.

I most definitely want to go R1T, but I won't be able to wait a year+ on a truck to replace my current truck, and Tesla X.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

The Ford dealership I selected for my F150 reservation reached out me to start letting me know what to expect.

The first things they informed me of was they would respect, and try to undercut the MSRP.

They also were keen on getting as much of the paperwork and such done via email and DocuSign so that I could come in, pick up my rig, and be gone in minutes.

...except I'm apparently high in the queue (991/160,000), so I'll be up to bat early on.

If the F150 does indeed come in with the $12,500 benefit and will be coming in (for me) months, or even a year+... that's... gunna be a hard call.

The biggest ding for me would be size (won't fit in my garage), and range (300 isn't as much as I want). The rest, I can muddle through if I don't have to deal with a dickhead dealer.

I most definitely want to go R1T, but I won't be able to wait a year+ on a truck to replace my current truck, and Tesla X.
You must have hit submit on that preorder literal seconds before me! I'm sitting at reservation 4185. Haven't heard squat yet. And it's definitely going to be a tough call,, since as far as I know I'm in the 2023 group for R1Ts. My wife is definitely the one keeping me off the F-150 ledge do get contacted soon. Mostly because she's put up with my incessant excitement over the R1T for the last year now.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I've been guising my interest in Rivian and the R1T under the cloak of "Investment Opportunities!", which, has kinda worked. She knows I am done with our Ram at this point, and agrees, it's time for that little truck to move on (now that I fixed all the broken shit again), buuuuuut doesn't know how hot and bothered I am about the R1T.

She is all about the F150, but as I have shown her more glimpses and reviews of the R1T has started poking me about "Hey, you should look at that truck too!" She loves the size, range, gear tunnel, and the camp kitchen (just not the price). She is a bit worried about the dog though (R1T isn't terribly well designed for a doggo it looks like).

I figure, I'll place my order for the F150 and we'll see what happens. Maybe the dealer is blowing smoke and I'll roll in to pick it up and they will hit me with a $10k-$12k "market adjustment"...

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

I'm in the exact same situation as you. Super early F150 Lightning reservation. Mid-pack R1T reservation, waiting for an LE. Similar awesome dealer. Similar issues with fitting it in my garage (I'll only have .5" of clearance height-wise) and I've observed similar dog things (I have a great dane) I'd prefer the size and tech of the Rivian., but I'm also starting to waver much more than expected.

When I placed my deposit down, I was hoping the have the truck by now. With the multiple delays, including the implications of what was communicated in this thread, it's seeming more and more likely that I won't have it even this time next year.

I've also been actively considering just saying screw it and keeping the Model S that I purchased as a bridge car.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I've been guising my interest in Rivian and the R1T under the cloak of "Investment Opportunities!", which, has kinda worked. She knows I am done with our Ram at this point, and agrees, it's time for that little truck to move on (now that I fixed all the broken shit again), buuuuuut doesn't know how hot and bothered I am about the R1T.

She is all about the F150, but as I have shown her more glimpses and reviews of the R1T has started poking me about "Hey, you should look at that truck too!" She loves the size, range, gear tunnel, and the camp kitchen (just not the price). She is a bit worried about the dog though (R1T isn't terribly well designed for a doggo it looks like).

I figure, I'll place my order for the F150 and we'll see what happens. Maybe the dealer is blowing smoke and I'll roll in to pick it up and they will hit me with a $10k-$12k "market adjustment"...
Not sure if we are allowed to talk about specific dealerships...

If the dealer is part of the Pi✖✖✖e auto group, they are blowing smoke like crazy. I avoid them like the plauge.
I debated on whether to go with the one in Kirkland or the one in Bremerton (the ferry ride was a negative, but not enough to offset my distain of the other dealer).
Sponsored