First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Its worth noting that when i was first contacted by my guide in June i was never given a delivery date. The only thing i was told was by removing the off road package my shipment would be delayed.

Now that being said, I've yet to see a truck built that has no offroad package and any other rim choice then the 20s (i have the 22s on mine).

One or both of those may be cause for the supply chain delays but who knows.
Sponsored

windrider

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 honda civic
If I recall. correctly, Godfodder placed his pre-order in 2019, not 2018.

So far as I’m aware, nobody with a 2018 pre-order has currently reported a delay (i.e myself and AdamL)
So I just talked to my guide and he told me my delivery is end of Feb 2022. I was a pre-order from Nov 2018, though complicated because I switched my color option (after having confirmed in July) over 1 month ago (once actual Rivian photos were available rather than the horribly rendered colors of the configurator). It took 6 weeks until they could even give me a new delivery date and that is now Feb 2022. I'm really disappointed, mostly in the customer service side of things. Always seems like any communications go into a black box and then spit out some nebulous or disappointing response. Why it took them 6 weeks to give me an estimated delivery date may speak volumes to the lack of actual progress or supply constraints they face???

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I really want to know how much range we lose with the off road package. they can't even answer that. I would add it back if it's a minimal loss and I get the truck sooner.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
I've been skeptical recently of people who have reported that their delivery has been pushed back. And, frankly, I think for good reason. Reservations were from 2019, from locations outside of service ranges (eg, Boston, Georgia, etc), and there was no paper trail.

However...

I've been able to confirm that Guides have, yes, started reaching out to some people who will experience delays because of supply constraints. I do not know how many people this affects and I don't know what kind of person it affects. Trends could emerge if those who get contacted share details, but I don't know of any specific configurations or locations that would be impacted over others. If you have an "end of November" date and haven't heard anything, you're still on track. The plan is the plan until it isn't the plan anymore.

While I'd definitely appreciate more proactive, general comms to address the situation so we don't all get spun into a tizzy, it does appear that Rivian is trying its hardest to be transparent with customers while (probably) balancing how to handle an impending IPO. It feels like a waiting game praying you don't get "the call" — and who knows, everything could slip for any reason — but that's where we're at.

And that's all I can say :)
Just as you were about delays, I hope you wont mind that I am very skeptical of every word you were told or said you were told. And frankly, for good reason.

Last edited:

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I really want to know how much range we lose with the off road package. they can't even answer that. I would add it back if it's a minimal loss and I get the truck sooner.
I agree 100%. Honestly i'll never use the offroad package so part of me doesn't care but resale could possibly be more if it had it. Honestly though i'll probably keep the truck long enough it won't matter.

Sponsored

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
So I just talked to my guide and he told me my delivery is end of Feb 2022. I was a pre-order from Nov 2018, though complicated because I switched my color option (after having confirmed in July) over 1 month ago (once actual Rivian photos were available rather than the horribly rendered colors of the configurator)
Well, they do warn us that changing configurations may delay delivery, and with something so major as a different paint job, I'm sorta not surprised at your situation.

That being said, their communication (still) sucks, so no real surprise on that front.

I've still heard no word of delays from my Guide, so I'm assuming I'm still on for sometime in November.

windrider

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 honda civic
Well, they do warn us that changing configurations may delay delivery, and with something so major as a different paint job, I'm sorta not surprised at your situation.

That being said, their communication (still) sucks, so no real surprise on that front.

I've still heard no word of delays from my Guide, so I'm assuming I'm still on for sometime in November.
Find it funny that you list a paint job as “something so major”. Still LMAO at that ???.

I knew there would likely be a delay from Oct but thought they should have been able to provide some, even if marginally useful, guidance on what that might be. My bad for messing with the system…..

hope you’re still on for Nov!! ?

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I mean, major by Rivian’s standards haha. Very few other options that aren’t accessories that can be added later. And we sorta knew that they were building trucks in batches of certain colour combos ?‍♂

Oh, hey, I’m with you 100% on that. Not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but Rivian is utter shite at communicating. To expect them to tell you literally even the most basic of stuff is to set yourself up for disappointment

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Batching same paint color contributing to delivery timing ..... Uh, No!

How many factory images, videos and even the recent "Roadshow" are a rainbow of colors in the factory with often fewer than 3 or 4 in a row the same. I recall someone in the promotion of Rivian's state-of-the-art paint shop that different colors can be done back-to-back on the line as vehicles run through it.

I might consider it if the color changed to Black or Limestone which seem to be more "unicorn" than all others. But even those have been spotted in the factory.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Batching same paint color contributing to delivery timing ..... Uh, No!

How many factory images, videos and even the recent "Roadshow" are a rainbow of colors in the factory with often fewer than 3 or 4 in a row the same. I recall someone in the promotion of Rivian's state-of-the-art paint shop that different colors can be done back-to-back on the line as vehicles run through it.

I might consider it if the color changed to Black or Limestone which seem to be more "unicorn" than all others. But even those have been spotted in the factory.
Switching colors is expensive, there's a special purge mode that runs a solvent through all the paint robots to clear them out for the next color. It's better to do continuous runs of the same color. It's entirely possible to switch paint colors every single vehicle though.

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Switching colors is expensive, there's a special purge mode that runs a solvent through all the paint robots to clear them out for the next color. It's better to do continuous runs of the same color. It's entirely possible to switch paint colors every single vehicle though.
It's also worth considering that the order on the paint line is not necessarily the order on the final assembly line. They could paint a batch of bodies, send them off to a staging area, and then mix them up as they come into final assembly.

Ssaehrig

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Durango SRT, 2013 GMC Acadia
Occupation
IT Executive
Here we are 3 weeks from the expectation set on LE guide calls and I still haven’t even gotten an email scheduling a call. I don’t care if the call is in 3 weeks schedule it at least I would know it’s going to happen.
Don’t get me wrong, love the product, love the vision and still buying it but the lack of communication and lack of managing expectations is getting old.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Here we are 3 weeks from the expectation set on LE guide calls and I still haven’t even gotten an email scheduling a call. I don’t care if the call is in 3 weeks schedule it at least I would know it’s going to happen.
Don’t get me wrong, love the product, love the vision and still buying it but the lack of communication and lack of managing expectations is getting old.
"Contact" does not equal scheduled call.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

What do you mean?
They are most likely going to send out a general contact email saying "Your guide is <whomever>. They''ll be contacting you to schedule an intro call when your vehicle is closer to production. Soon."
Sponsored