Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
So there's a person on Reddit who appears to have taken delivery of an R1T, and is also on employee.

He's sharing some details that might explain some of the delays. It's Reddit, so put as much validity into as you feel is appropriate. Below are some snippets:

When asked about any QC issues on the production line:
QC issues the ones we all know about? Tonneau, tailgate flap, bed trunk lid, gear tunnel storage doors, etc?
Nope, those are all perfect.
The QC issues are similar to those that Tesla has been experiencing (minus panel gaps). Some bubbling plastic, some misaligned components, a weird paint blotch (same color, just kinda weirdly applied in that area).
That's not to take away from the overall car's build quality though (which is otherwise fantastic - everything feels solid and premium).
When asked about the user interface:
There's no comparison: Tesla's infotainment is leagues more smooth and capable than Rivian's. I'm sure it'll improve with time/updates, but it's kind of laggy (similar to a Bolt's screen) and not as well laid out. Same kind of story for all software-based features: the phone key is basically unusable - it's really slow compared to Tesla's.

That said, Rivian's infotainment is more feature rich than the Bolt's. I'd compare features to the Polestar's infotainment - pretty decent, but still pales in comparison to Tesla's.
As a final note, they also mention that Rivian's number one effort right now is ramping up production. So at least they're trying :)
Sponsored

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
So there's a person on Reddit who appears to have taken delivery of an R1T, and is also on employee.

He's sharing some details that might explain some of the delays. It's Reddit, so put as much validity into as you feel is appropriate. Below are some snippets:

When asked about any QC issues on the production line:

When asked about the user interface:

As a final note, they also mention that Rivian's number one effort right now is ramping up production. So at least they're trying :)

Wonder if he will get fired. The rest of the posts on instagram are jolly/everything is perfect types.
So he said there are no panel gap problems, but misaligned components. Sounds the same to me. I think they need to fix the screen before they deliver to real customers. That will annoy me so much. Doesn't belong in a 80k vehicle. Paint blotch should be an easy fix in the assembly line.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
That's actually not 'crazy talk'

If anything to do with the tonneau, I'd be totally happy with the base manual slider. In fact, I wish that was an option on the LE/Adventure. Just seems like too much tech for something that realistically will get used infrequently or periodically
One of reasons I change my order to an R1S was seeing the tonneau cover in operation. Not impressed, in the video I saw it was noisy and less than smooth. it just looked to me like it could become a maintenance headache, especially in the cold/ice/snow belt where I live. My saying at work (I work in manufacturing automation/control systems) "Just because you *CAN* automate something doesn't mean you *SHOULD*". How many other vehicles have automated tonneau covers? Zero, as far as I know. There's a reason......

FLARIVIAN

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T6
Occupation
Retired
I was just told by my Guide today that my new estimated delivery is by the end of February, 2022. Changed from October, 2021. *Supply chain constraints were quoted as the number one contributor.
Have any other pre-order holders received this same communication, or is this delay possibly the result of a specific configuration detail that is held up by supply chain issues?

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Okay, to sum up because this thread is flying.

* 1 preorder from December 2018 originally told end of October was told it's February now.
If I recall. correctly, Godfodder placed his pre-order in 2019, not 2018.

So far as I’m aware, nobody with a 2018 pre-order has currently reported a delay (i.e myself and AdamL)

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I think they need to fix the screen before they deliver to real customers. That will annoy me so much. Doesn't belong in a 80k vehicle.
Agree. This is something they absolutely have to nail in order to fully differentiate themselves from the legacy manufacturers - I believe their success lies in whether they are perceived as a better built Tesla alternative or simply as an electric GM/Ford alternative. My biggest concern here is whether this is simply poorly written software that can be improved or whether it is under spec'd hardware. Perhaps the software isn't as easy as they thought it would be.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
So who start's the useless conjecture thread titled "Will Rivian Meet its Thanksgiving Guides commitment" :computerrage:
That thread already exists.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

But again the claim wasn't a small subset of orders will cancel, it was that Rivian wouldn't care if 50% of their orders cancel. It really feels like you are arguing a different statement than what was made. But again I am done. Agree to disagree on this.
I understand this is done, but I want to politely point out that it was you who changed the statement. I didn’t write “small subset” in the post you quoted. I wrote “subset” and 50% of a group is still a subset of that group.

More importantly, neither of us are happy with how the news of a delay was delivered after the fact and I think it’s safe to say that both of us would be more than a bit annoyed if we were treated that way. I am not defending Rivian’s actions. My premise is simply that when there is more demand than supply then businesses can get away with more than we’d consider reasonable. Look at what legacy car dealers are doing to pricing, as another example.

Even if Rivian loses 50% of the reservations tomorrow, they still can’t catch up with demand before there are going to be more people added to the queue. This may cause Rivian some concern with the R1T if they choose to treat potential customers this way indefinitely, but they probably won’t. I think their actions with delays are because of start-up or supply chain issues, and both of those should disappear over time. Whether their communications get better or not is less certain to me.

At least R1T buyers can go with a Lightning, CyberTruck, or Hummer. For the R1S reservation holders like me, what other 7-passenger, off-road capable EV are we going to buy if we cancel our R1S reservation?

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
So just got the call. They said it has slowed down so much it may now be as late as april as a worst case. I was pretty stunned, as that is far later than even I was thinking...and I was thinking it would be pretty delayed. I was thinking maybe end of January or something.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

At least they qualified it as worst case. Wonder if they are estimating far to hopefully deliver early.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

? WTF!

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
No idea. But pretty disappointed. I mean another half a year, when you was saying all summer by the end of October is brutal.

Reactions: Rad

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

So just got the call. They said it has slowed down so much it may now be as late as april as a worst case. I was pretty stunned, as that is far later than even I was thinking...and I was thinking it would be pretty delayed. I was thinking maybe end of January or something.
... any nuggets of insight offered by Guide? Slowed down so much.... WHY? You must have asked that.

This has to be the result of production sequencing getting "reshuffled" to move earliest orderers towards the front of the line - within the other logistical and legal constraints.

Last edited:

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
No idea. But pretty disappointed. I mean another half a year, when you was saying all summer by the end of October is brutal.
That sucks. Sorry to hear. At least your Bulldogs are playing lights out.
Sponsored