Sponsored

dfx

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 LandCruiser, 2015 Model S 70D
People are up in arms because this appears to be a harbinger of future delays. It's exacerbated because we have no alternative possibility information and past communication issues / delays on Rivian's end.

It's a logical, probable conclusion.
I agree completely. The fact is that a lot of the hand-wringing etc here could have been avoided if the company had simply made a legitimate effort to communicate with their customers better. When Nissan started the whole new era of mass production BEV's there must have been a lot of complex problems to handle. However, the communication that I received from Nissan was excellent and thorough throughout the 16 month process- and that was 11 years ago!
The company has disappointed many pre-order holders and they really don't seem concerned about it at all.
Sponsored

AdamL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Honda Pilot
Holllllllly moly. Look, people, the fact of the matter is that this is a delay for a single customer. That’s it. Nobody else has come forward to say their delivery date was also pushed (at least at the time of me writing this)

Is Rivian bad at communicating? Yes, but that horse has been beaten all the way to the core of the Earth at this point

Does it suck for Godfodder that his truck is now delayed? Absolutely

But a single point of data does not a line make. Literally everything past “Godfodder’s truck is delayed” is pure speculation. Now if myself and AdamL and others come back in a week with the same news, then we can say there’s a trend

Right now tho? I think we’re all being a weeeeeee little bit dramatic about the implications of this singular delay
Agreed. After all of this, I double checked with my guide today and 'by end of Nov' is still what they are indicating at this point.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
Agreed. After all of this, I double checked with my guide today and 'by end of Nov' is still what they are indicating at this point.
I checked in with my guide on the 1st (so I guess a day before all this happened) and I also was told “still on track” for November

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Case in point ⬆

Zero value add.
Wrong ... its a social commentary on the ridiculousness of this thread! SOOOOOO many people are getting their panties in a twist over a delay. It is JUST A CAR! It will come when it comes. I'd rather have a more solid / quality product delivered when it is truly ready vs how Tesla operates (coming from my experience with my Model S). If people feel slighted, just cancel your order and move on. Life is too short to get wrapped around the axle about delivery timelines and "lack of communication". I wish the mods would close this thread ... Over 228 posts on this topic is enuf!

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Wrong ... its a social commentary on the ridiculousness of this thread! SOOOOOO many people are getting their panties in a twist over a delay. It is JUST A CAR! It will come when it comes. I'd rather have a more solid / quality product delivered when it is truly ready vs how Tesla operates (coming from my experience with my Model S). If people feel slighted, just cancel your order and move on. Life is too short to get wrapped around the axle about delivery timelines and "lack of communication". I wish the mods would close this thread ... Over 228 posts on this topic is enuf!
I'm curious...When you're listening to the radio and a song comes on that you don't like, do you sit there yelling at the radio? Or do you just change the channel like a normal person?

There's an enormous button at the top of this thread that says "Ignore". It takes 1 single click to solve your problem, yet you keep coming back here to complain about the thread.

Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
It very well could be. People are up in arms when they don’t hear anything and up in arms when they finally hear about reality which makes you wonder why they were up in arms about not hearing anything. Ignorance is bliss.

The reaction to official communication has been much more positive than to stories like this. Rivian just needs to improve at their communication and expectation setting. Hopefully we all get guides and get conservative dates in the next few weeks.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
It is utterly ridiculous. The entire board is crawling with so many bed wetters of late. I've suggested many times that people should just cancel their orders but it's like the third-rail of offensiveness if you even hint that some people should move on with their lives...

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I guess only topics that are complementary of Rivian are to be allowed on the forum?

I didn't think that forums were supposed to just be echo chambers for a single opinion.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
The reaction to official communication has been much more positive than to stories like this. Rivian just needs to improve at their communication and expectation setting. Hopefully we all get guides and get conservative dates in the next few weeks.
IDK. I think all the complaining about comms is a red herring and I say this as someone who has worked in corp comms/marketing for over twenty years.

That team can't communicate what they don't know. They can only communicate what manufacturing/product tells them. In times of great uncertainty (e.g. you know, massive shocks to the global supply chain that are impacting the entire industry) the answer, unfortunately, may simply be that nobody knows???

If the actual answer is that nobody knows, it would be foolish for them to mass communicate that they don't have a clue, no matter how many people are demanding that info with their virtual message board pitchforks...

Their comms team will instead will communicate a (probable) timeframe, wait to see if product/manufacturing can hit it, and if product/manufacturing can't deliver, they will reset expectation as quietly as possible in an attempt to keep people in line longer, which may only partially succeed.

People claim to just want MORE communication but they probably don't. Imagine you got an email from Rivian every day that says, "whelp we still didn't get that load of magnesium unloaded from the Port of L.A. and they said two weeks but they said two weeks already two weeks ago LOL so we just don't really know when or if you're ever going to get a truck..."

People just want their trucks and Rivian doesn't have enough trucks. Comms won't solve that.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
It is utterly ridiculous. The entire board is crawling with so many bed wetters of late. I've suggested many times that people should just cancel their orders but it's like the third-rail of offensiveness if you even hint that some people should move on with their lives...
One could argue that if you're so unhappy with the forum, you should simply stop visiting and move on with your life. Kinda works both ways, no?

Like everything in our world, there are pros and there are cons. I think for the vast majority of people, the future potential of the Rivian vehicles outweigh the cons of the delays and communication issues. That's the reason they keep their reservation and continue to participate here.

I'm guessing, based on the fact that you're still here and participating, the pros of having a forum like this to converse with and learn from other members are not yet outweighed by the cons of being a member of a place crawling with so many "bed-wetters". (gotta love name-calling by what I assume are adults)

What I truly don't understand is people constantly complaining about threads or users they don't like when the ignore feature was purpose-built to let you deal with these issues. You could easily maximize your enjoyment of your forum with a few simple clicks. But instead it seems there is some innate urge to have to tell these people to go away because you don't agree with their point of views. "I don't like what you're saying so you need to leave!". It's childish.

Personally, I get some enjoyment out of a good debate and the back-and-forth of highly different points of views, so my ignore list is relatively short. If I was always so annoyed as you seem to be, I'd probably just make my ignore list a bit longer and continue to engage with the people that I enjoy interacting with. Win/Win in my book.

PS. I will not be offended if you add me to your ignore list.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Still the point I was making is that Rivian would absolutely care if 50% of their orders canceled today, yes they would replace them with new orders but potential customers would be lost. Yes some pre-orders will not be completed but Rivian will still have a goal to limit that as much as possible.
If I were a decision-maker at Rivian, why should I be concerned? Looking at it from their point of view, I don’t see a lot of long-term negatives.

They seem to have enough orders in the pipeline that losing 50% of those orders shouldn’t suddenly leave them with excess capacity or inventory any time soon. They would lose the potential customers with the highest levels of frustration. For every LE reservation order they lose, they don’t have to provide no-cost wheel upgrades. I don’t foresee many tears shed over any of this.

The reservation holders who are left will probably be content to wait, going on the assumption that Rivian is taking extra time to correct problems before they get their vehicle. Given the price increases of some materials, I could see them increasing prices for new reservations at some point. They would lose some lower-cost commitments and new ones at a higher price will take their place. None of this seems like a long-term problem to me when viewing the issue from Rivian’s perspective.

I’m certainly not saying this is by design, simply that there doesn’t seem to be a looming catastrophe for the company as long as they start delivering high-quality vehicles to the people who are willing to wait for them.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
One could argue that if you're so unhappy with the forum, you should simply stop visiting and move on with your life. Kinda works both ways, no?

Like everything in our world, there are pros and there are cons. I think for the vast majority of people, the future potential of the Rivian vehicles outweigh the cons of the delays and communication issues. That's the reason they keep their reservation and continue to participate here.

I'm guessing, based on the fact that you're still here and participating, the pros of having a forum like this to converse with and learn from other members are not yet outweighed by the cons of being a member of a place crawling with so many "bed-wetters". (gotta love name-calling by what I assume are adults)

What I truly don't understand is people constantly complaining about threads or users they don't like when the ignore feature was purpose-built to let you deal with these issues. You could easily maximize your enjoyment of your forum with a few simple clicks. But instead it seems there is some innate urge to have to tell these people to go away because you don't agree with their point of views. "I don't like what you're saying so you need to leave!". It's childish.

Personally, I get some enjoyment out of a good debate and the back-and-forth of highly different points of views, so my ignore list is relatively short. If I was always so annoyed as you seem to be, I'd probably just make my ignore list a bit longer and continue to engage with the people that I enjoy interacting with. Win/Win in my book.

PS. I will not be offended if you add me to your ignore list.
Haha. I hang out because I'm bored and I don't have an electric truck to take on adventures... Yes, it's a very rational view and I should just ignore more. Have only done it once, I think. (I'm sure I have been both officially and unofficially ignored many, many times.)

In the meantime I will probably just stick to my current strategy of agitating people to the point where they finally do cancel their orders and, in victory, I will move up one more slot in the queue. That's the real goal.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
If I were a decision-maker at Rivian, why should I be concerned? Looking at it from their point of view, I don’t see a lot of long-term negatives.

They seem to have enough orders in the pipeline that losing 50% of those orders shouldn’t suddenly leave them with excess capacity or inventory any time soon. They would lose the potential customers with the highest levels of frustration. For every LE reservation order they lose, they don’t have to provide no-cost wheel upgrades. I don’t foresee many tears shed over any of this.

The reservation holders who are left will probably be content to wait, going on the assumption that Rivian is taking extra time to correct problems before they get their vehicle. Given the price increases of some materials, I could see them increasing prices for new reservations at some point. They would lose some lower-cost commitments and new ones at a higher price will take their place. None of this seems like a long-term problem to me when viewing the issue from Rivian’s perspective.

I’m certainly not saying this is by design, simply that there doesn’t seem to be a looming catastrophe for the company as long as they start delivering high-quality vehicles to the people who are willing to wait for them.
Get out of here with this entirely rational POV.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

We will have to agree to disagree here.

I can't imagine any business (that wasn't run by a bunch of assholes) that wouldn't care if they suddenly lost 50% of their orders. I mean pre-IPO that would be catastrophic from a PR prospective. Even post IPO as a publicly traded company this would look really bad to investors, they would be left asking themselves what the hell is happening and would want an explanation.

I can tell you first hand as I canceled my first Rivian order from 2019 they asked what they could have done better.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I checked in with my guide on the 1st (so I guess a day before all this happened) and I also was told “still on track” for November
Don't hate me. But it would be good to know your configurations @AdamL and @Shzeph compared to @godfodder0901 . Maybe that will give us an idea of why one is delayed until February and the other 2 are not. All 3 of you are from Washington, so location doesn't seem to be the reason.
Sponsored