First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I have an Electric Mini on the boat heading over from England. Sadly, it’s missing the upgraded radio and parking sensors. Not a big deal for a $25,000 commuter car. It would be a bigger deal for my $75,000 Rivian. I would rather it be a few months late and get everything the truck is supposed to have over getting it in November and not getting everything I was expecting.
Sponsored

stumptown85

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, XC60, Dakota
Occupation
Engineer
Wow, that packs a punch when presented like that.
I don’t work in the automotive industry, but I do work for a tech company you are all familiar with and design and ramp products every year at massive scale. The list of misses from the perspective of someone who does this for a living is alarming. Product design, manufacturing design, procurement of materials and components…these are things that are planned over periods spanning years in the auto industry. By the time you get to June, you know if you are meeting you plan for 6 months out. It’s not rocket science. Yes the pandemic has been an issue, but we’ve been in this for 2.5 years now…it’s the new norm and supply chains have been whack for a while.

At best, this is the expected chaos and incompetence of a startup. It happens. At worst, they are pumping up excitement for their Series D, E and F rounds and IPO knowing that after the fact they can say oopsies and will be forgiven. The latter actively happens with startups all the time. They will make short term decisions to boost their numbers to get VCs to invest and VCs are happy to do it.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This is so bungled I canceled out of the DSP because of how* Rivian handled the situation, not because they were in one. Obviously my backing out doesn't mean anything to the overall picture. Which is fine as it's not being done out of spite or as a "punishment". I simply have real world concerns with management. Besides it is a small offering (175 shares). I can always jump back in down the road.

I hate to put blame on the possible victim (Rivian of course) of labor and supply chain issues but they should have been more forthcoming. I do not know how anyone can defend the handling of this. They own it.

Rivian has the appearance of being more concerned with IPO and good press. So it looks like they are either inept or indifferent to how their actions (or lack of) are impacting some of their potential customer base. That concerns me.
Yeah, I also think I'll opt out of the DSP after all. I already made my account and requested the full 175 shares, but with this delay it's extremely clear that Rivian is in a far different point of development and production than I had understood.

I agree with others that feel it's time to take a step away from Rivian for a while. Combining my emotional investment with a $10,000 financial investment seems like it would only make it harder to take a break from Rivian.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Yeah, I also think I'll opt out of the DSP after all. I already made my account and requested the full 175 shares, but with this delay it's extremely clear that Rivian is in a far different point of development and production than I had understood.

I agree with others that feel it's time to take a step away from Rivian for a while. Combining my emotional investment with a $10,000 financial investment seems like it would only make it harder to take a break from Rivian.
This is 100% where I am. This whole situation feels jarring at this point.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
......do you think your preorder is higher priority than the employees who built the car itself over the past 10 years?

And that paying employees should not be given their cars so that someone who reserved after them, like yourself, could?
I know this is not directed towards me and hope you don't mind, but I would like to comment. It's just a comment and not necessary to reply, unless you feel the need.

First, I believe Rivian employees that went through the same preorder process, with their $1,000 deposit, are entitled to be in line like everyone else. The preorder started around 3 years ago. However, I read somewhere employees have been prioritized. I think it was on their Prospectus, but it's been amended several times.

Rivian and their employees need customers, so they can keep their jobs, earn a living, and stay in business. Customers do not need Rivian, or their employees, for anything except to get something they want, but don't necessarily need from Rivian. It's wanting Rivian's product. It seems the most important player here is the customer. He doesn't need Rivian to exist, but Rivian needs the customer to exist. So who do they reward?

Rivian has a right to reward whomever they please. It's up to the customer to decide whether they think Rivian's policy is right, or not. Personally, I've always chosen customer first, but I was in a retail business with a lot of competition, dealing with customers face to face. I made the right decision for me. Rivian is a manufacturer and has very little competition. They're in a good position to do whatever they want, whether we like it, or not. It won't be that way forever, but by the time it's over, Rivian will be producing enough vehicles where we won't notice, or even care, when employees get theirs......I won't forget though.

Sponsored

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
With that being a R1T, do any of us R1S folks have hope hope for Before March/April? lol
We've got an R1S on order, but we want the max pack that's not even out yet. Probably safe to say we're not getting that until 2024 at this point lol. And I'm including all the pre orders that back out, moving me up the line haha. Gonna be forever.

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
It's around 7k,but I have been told repeatedly that I am one of the earliest pre-order holders. Not sure either really matters, though.
I'm surprised to hear they had said it was one of the earliest. My order number was around 26xx (or something like that). I placed my order Dec 3 2018. Of course I'm waiting on an R1S. And I'm in Canada. So I don't expect to hear anything for a long time (not the "Deliveries for Canada will begin in November 2021 for Launch Edition vehicles." :rolleyes: message on support site). I guess I am a *very* early pre-order holder!!

Richland Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ 2022 Volvo XC60
They are dealing with the Magnesium issue like every other manufacturer that uses aluminum or countless other things that require it for production
They are dealing with incompetence issues. Period. I think you should be OstrichRider instead of DucRider because man, your head is in the sand.

Rivian R1T R1S New Delivery Delay Confirmed - My R1T Delivery Pushed From October to end of February, 2022. 1635915821142

Richland Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee/ 2022 Volvo XC60
I'm certainly not an expert on this but I am actually pretty heavily invested in magnesium related stocks so I watch this industry. Part of being educated is reading beyond the headline. I'm not sure you read the information in the links you sent? At this point, there isn't a magnesium shortage in the United States, thus there is no supply chain issue with magnesium in the United States. Might there be in the near future? Yes. But not now. So, the current non-existent magnesium supply chain issue, can't be the reason for current Rivian delays. Delays in 6 months or a year, maybe, but not now. The current, non-existent magnesium supply chain issue, also doesn't explain Rivian not communicating with pre-order holders (especially LE holders) about production delays. Probably hard to get the whole story with the head in the sand.

Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Most of what I've read about that shortage is that it pertains to an inability to order materials/etc. for 2022. If a shortage that is just starting to crop up (become known as an upcoming problem) in October affected Rivian's ability to build October cars then IMO that would be incompetence on Rivian's part (e.g. they planned to build cars with materials that they didn't have that they expected to be delivered right before needing them).

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Rivian R1T R1S New Delivery Delay Confirmed - My R1T Delivery Pushed From October to end of February, 2022. burn-the-witch-screamin

When I think of how some people react on this forum, it reminds me of this.

It's.a.vehicle. I really want a Rivian. Dream about, think about, talk about it. But damn, you would think we are talking about some important world crisis the way some are willing to die on a hill for or against Rivian. No wonder our politics and civility is in the crapper, we can't even get along when discussing a vehicle we all like! I'm taking a break....best of luck.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I’m curious as to your opinion: do you think your preorder is higher priority than the employees who built the car itself over the past 10 years? And that paying employees should not be given their cars so that someone who reserved after them, like yourself, could?
We have seen employees that joined Rivian in 2020 receive vehicles

Kmann1994

First Name
Kevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Head of Product
We have seen employees that joined Rivian in 2020 receive vehicles
Who cares? I still maintain that employee deliveries are smarter at this stage than consumer ones. Rivian is making the right decision for the long-term 100%. In 2 years nobody will care about this brief moment in time where they gave a few thousand of the first trucks to the people who work for them.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
Who cares? I still maintain that employee deliveries are smarter at this stage than consumer ones. Rivian is making the right decision for the long-term 100%. In 2 years nobody will care about this brief moment in time where they gave a few thousand of the first trucks to the people who work for them.
I was just responding to your comment which stated “paying employees should not be given their cars so that someone who reserved after themsomeone who reserved after them, like yourself, could?”

It should read “subsided or gifted to employees, years after you deposited money for a reservation”

I agree on the quality aspects, but dislike the lack of communication on it. You don’t send preholders emails saying deliveries start in September when it’s just employee deliveries, but honestly it’s a minor dislike at this point compared to some others…
Sponsored

Last edited: