Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Seems like a neat idea on paper, but everything I've read about adding solar panels to EVs is that the costs far outweigh the actual amount of charge you'd return to the car.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Last edited:
OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Admins feel free to move this wherever it belongs. Sorry about the all caps on the thread as well. Trying to get a bajillion things done at work before closing up shop for the long weekend.

Sponsored

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
For 15 miles a day, assuming you park the vehicle out in full sun from sunrise to sunset, you get the added bonus of constantly worrying about intentional or unintentional damage to an item that looks both quite fragile and very expensive.

Well they do put solar shingles on roofs now. They are subject to probably even more of a beating over time.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Last edited:

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
For 15 miles a day, assuming you park the vehicle out in full sun from sunrise to sunset, you get the added bonus of constantly worrying about intentional or unintentional damage to an item that looks both quite fragile and very expensive.
It really depends on how you look at it. I understand how expensive it is. However, when I bought a home battery, I regretted it up to the point when the electric company in CA has shut my power off about 10 times in 3 months during red flag warnings. My food didn't spoil like my neighbors did and I was still able to work.

Same with the winch and bumper I bought for my 4runner. Was about $3k+ which was a waste of money until I needed it off-road and it saved me.

So, it is the same with this. Get a little further off the beaten path with your Rivian and run out of power, you are now screwed... Maybe get a friend to bring a generator, etc. However, with this, just wait a few hours and you'll make it out.

And like everything else, this looks to be an option that you can choose if you want it.

I think it is a great idea to be given this option on Telsa's part.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
A company called Worksport makes these already....but maybe Tesla's for the Cybertruck does something cool, like, make the Cyberyuck look good...that definitely would need a patent.

Sponsored

trickflow

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 performance, Toyota 4runner
A company called Worksport makes these already....but maybe Tesla's for the Cybertruck does something cool, like, make the Cyberyuck look good...that definitely would need a patent.
I like what worksport will do. I think getting it factory and have it integrated into the whole car system will be key for CT.

But def a cool find on worksport, thanks!

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Seems like a neat idea on paper, but everything I've read about adding solar panels to EVs is that the costs far outweigh the actual amount of charge you'd return to the car.
Word. It's a theoretical gain of charge. A stationary, properly-aligned array in full sunlight will come close, but a moving vehicle in varying weather conditions will get a tiny fraction of that.
Sponsored