Sponsored

UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Should have them sorted out by Tuesday. The programming machine they sent me went bad. They're sending me another one that will arrive Tuesday. With that, they should have the procedure down on how to release / sell them. Fingers crossed it goes as planned. Will update as soon as they're done
Sponsored

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
@Kiz did you originally have 20" AT and switch to this? Were you able to reprogram the speedo somehow? Got a sense Rivian has this locked down (though I don't know why) and it would be nice to at least switch to their other OD sizes (as you mentioned 33" OD seems more than enough for this kind of vehicle), I just don't want my mileage to be all wrong if I did it.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

@Kiz did you originally have 20" AT and switch to this? Were you able to reprogram the speedo somehow? Got a sense Rivian has this locked down (though I don't know why) and it would be nice to at least switch to their other OD sizes (as you mentioned 33" OD seems more than enough for this kind of vehicle), I just don't want my mileage to be all wrong if I did it.
I've been on the phone with them about this for the past 3-4 weeks. They keep saying they'll call back then don't. But, I guess by good fortune, they had to schedule a mobile service appointment for me for next week to install the spare tire that finally arrived. Supposedly, they will reprogram it while on site. At least according to the rep on the phone, it's something that has to be done in person rather than an over the air update. Hopefully, something they can update in the future. Will update once they've actually updated it on Friday when they're scheduled.

Sad thing is, this will only correct it to be back to about 3 MPH off instead of the 6+ I am currently off with the 33" tires. Hard looking at 81 mph when I'm aiming for 75!! My thought is, they should just update them all to 33", then at least the one's with 20" wheels will be close to spot on while the rest will still be only 3 MPH off. Better yet, they should correct all of them to within 1 MPH, but I'm not going to get picky! Will be happy to have it back down within 3 MPH. Fortunately, did confirm through Rivian and my own testing, that the odometer is GPS based either way. Thus, has no impact on the truck's actual mileage either way.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Will be happy to have it back down within 3 MPH. Fortunately, did confirm through Rivian and my own testing, that the odometer is GPS based either way. Thus, has no impact on the truck's actual mileage either way.
I'm glad to hear they were able to fix it, since I expect this to be a concern soon with how fast I expect this truck could wear through tires.

Though for your reference - both the speed and trip measurement originate from the wheel speed but the vehicle speed is intentionally displayed a few mph high. (I don't think GPS odometers are even permissible by US Federal law, and no one does it, I think whoever told you this just doesn't know.)

It's actually really common on motorcycles, most of them read 7-10% higher to make people think they're going too fast but if you take them on a planned route and check the mileage after, the odometer will usually be within 1% of expected. We're hearing the same reports about the R1T.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm glad to hear they were able to fix it, since I expect this to be a concern soon with how fast I expect this truck could wear through tires.

Though for your reference - both the speed and trip measurement originate from the wheel speed but the vehicle speed is intentionally displayed a few mph high. (I don't think GPS odometers are even permissible by US Federal law, and no one does it, I think whoever told you this just doesn't know.)

It's actually really common on motorcycles, most of them read 7-10% higher to make people think they're going too fast but if you take them on a planned route and check the mileage after, the odometer will usually be within 1% of expected. We're hearing the same reports about the R1T.
I don't know how they do it. When I spoke to Rivian, that's what I was told. More importantly, despite my speedometer being 6-7 MPH off, my most common 42 mile trip, still registers exactly 42 miles on the odometer. If it was going based on the wheel speed, then it would certainly register higher. Possible that who I spoke with at Rivian wasn't entirely accurate on how (wouldn't be the first time), but appears that they are at least accurate on the fact that the odometer is not impacted by the speedometer reading.

If it were, there would be a lot of people complaining about even a 3 MPH variance as that would start to add up to a significant number over time. The fact that the odometer in my truck is reflecting accurate mileage, I have no real complaints.

Also, they haven't fixed it yet. Just said that the mobile tech that comes on Friday will fix it then. We'll see if that actually happens.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I keep being told Speedo is derived from GPS......not drive train. So size tire, more specifically the circumference, is OBE. I personally can't believe it because mine is 3mph off and GPS speed ain't off unless they're manipulating by software.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
I don't know how they do it. When I spoke to Rivian, that's what I was told. More importantly, despite my speedometer being 6-7 MPH off, my most common 42 mile trip, still registers exactly 42 miles on the odometer. If it was going based on the wheel speed, then it would certainly register higher. Possible that who I spoke with at Rivian was entirely accurate on how (would be the first time), but appears that they are at least accurate on the fact that the odometer is not impacted by the speedometer reading.

If it were, there would be a lot of people complaining about even a 3 MPH variance as that would start to add up to a significant number over time. The fact that the odometer in my truck is reflecting accurate mileage, I have no real complaints.

Also, they haven't fixed it yet. Just said that the mobile tech that comes on Friday will fix it then. We'll see if that actually happens.
Ah I misread the post.

So on a different tire size the speedo is off but not the odo? That's wacky I guess they'd have to have some GPS compensation/calculation at least for that I just didn't think it would even be possible.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I keep being told Speedo is derived from GPS......not drive train. So size tire, more specifically the circumference, is OBE. I personally can't believe it because mine is 3mph off and GPS speed ain't off unless they're manipulating by software.
Was out trying to get the TPMS to work and had to get on the freeway to drive and drive. As a side note, I set Driver+ at 77 MPH. Also reset the trip meter at the same time. Maintained a constant 77 MPH (per the speedo). The trip meter however, showed an average speed of 71 MPH. Further confirming that the mileage does not match what's being shown on the speedometer. The Trip Meter and Odometer are getting it right either way, despite the speedo being off by 6 MPH. Finally, also navigated using Google maps. It said 18 miles to destination. Trip meter showed 18 miles when I arrived. So, between Rivian reps, trip meter and google maps, we have three verifications that the odometers are somehow, based on actual distance travelled and are not impacted by wheel / tire sizes or incorrect speedo readings.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Sponsored

Supraman16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Supra TT, Lexus ISF, Forester XT, Odyssey
Occupation
Professional
Kizamybute: I'm wondering if you got hub-centric rings to help balance out the aftermarket wheels...if so, what's the stock hub-ring size? Also did you have to get aftermarket lug nuts or were you able to use the stock lug nuts? Thanks for all your info.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have a similar app that gives me GPS speed, elevation, etc. I use it a lot more right now because of the huge difference. Have to comfort myself to not be bothered by the speedo reading 85 MPH while in a 75 zone.
I'm curious if you know what your speed limiter stops at now, and is it different than before you switched to the smaller tires?

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Kizamybute: I'm wondering if you got hub-centric rings to help balance out the aftermarket wheels...if so, what's the stock hub-ring size? Also did you have to get aftermarket lug nuts or were you able to use the stock lug nuts? Thanks for all your info.
I did have custom aluminum hubcentric rings made. Truck is 64.1 mm. That up to whatever size the wheel bore is that you end up with.

https://www.uswheeladapters.com/

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm curious if you know what your speed limiter stops at now, and is it different than before you switched to the smaller tires?
Well........I haven't gotten it up to a 125+......!! LOL. So can't answer that one. I can say, does kind of suck because Driver+ is based on the speedo, thus can't go over 85 per the speedo, which in mine is closer to 78 or 79. So haven't been using it nearly as much. Rivian comes in the morning. Hoping they update the truck to reflect 21's.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Well........I haven't gotten it up to a 125+......!! LOL. So can't answer that one. I can say, does kind of suck because Driver+ is based on the speedo, thus can't go over 85 per the speedo, which in mine is closer to 78 or 79. So haven't been using it nearly as much. Rivian comes in the morning. Hoping they update the truck to reflect 21's.
Rivian came today and installed the spare. I actually had them reverse the standard installation with the jack on the bottom. That way I can put the tire on top and not have to carry the extra weight around all the time. Only wanted the spare for long distance trips. Now can just throw it in when heading out of town. But, do have the jack and tools in the truck at all times.

They Rivian techs tried for at least an hour to reprogram the truck to tell it had 21" wheels on it. Unfortunately, they 'weren't able to get it done on this trip and will have to reschedule. Something about not having the correct program in the system to pull from. Nothing with the truck, but the update has to be downloaded from the cloud and apparently the update they needed to download wasn't in the cloud to download.
Sponsored