Sponsored

UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

EDIT 09/23/2022 - HAPPY TO REPORT, GOT THE TPMS WORKING. SEE DETAILS BELOW.

ALSO, AFTER NOW A COUPLE OF MONTHS, HAVE DECIDED I'LL LIKELY NEVER TAKE THE TRUCK OFF ROAD. SO AM GOING TO MAKE YET ANOTHER CHANGE AND GO WITH 22" STREET WHEELS / TIRES. WILL BE SELLING THIS SET IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. LESS THAN 1,000 MILES SINCE NEW. COMPLETE SET READY TO BOLT ON, INCLUDING TPMS. SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH AN OFFER IF INTERESTED. ALSO POSTED IN THE SALE SECTION.....DETAILS CAN BE FOUND HERE...
www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/selling-my-custom-wheel-tire-set-up-ready-to-bolt-on.8531/
----------------------------------------------

Because my other post got so lengthy with all the photos, edits and updates and was primarily based on a previous fitment of 285/60/20 inch mud-terrain tires, for those that may be searching, wanted to give this setup its own thread as I believe it is the best possible fitment available for those that are seeking to push the tires out to the edge without going too far and for those considering custom wheels. Again, not about my choice in wheels, but rather to show the fitment. The photos below are of the current fitment that has no signs of rubbing, even in low suspension settings.

NO RUBBING OVER HEAVY SUSPENSION TESTING DIP - I got on the freeway and hit my one famous spot that absolutely bottoms out the suspension in all vehicles. Heavy dip after passing over a bridge below with uneven payment. The freeway road literally drops out from under you, then the vehicle lands and compresses hard. This is my ultimate test. If it doesn't rub here, it's not going to rub. Happy to report, the photos shown below, reflect the fitment that takes it right to the edge without crossing over it and no rubbing.

For reference, the other lengthy post and details of how I got here can be found here:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...photos-to-show-fitment-not-wheel-choice.6408/

NOTES REGARDING PRIOR MUD-TERRAIN TIRE SETUP - Loved the look of the 285/60/20 Mud-Terrain setup. Going with the 60 series tires instead of stock 65 series allowed for a 1/2 inch smaller radius. As previously noted, in my own opinion, the 275/65/20, 34" diameter stock tires are too big for the truck. They dominate the wheel wells and just feel out of place, for my own personal tastes. With the custom wheels having an 18mm offset, they are pushed out just over one inch. Thus made the stock tires feel even bigger. With the 285/60/20 tire, the extra 1/2 inch helped with clearance and proportions. There was just an ever so slight brush of the fender flare when in the low suspension setting and over the above noted heavy freeway dip. No visible evidence, but did hear it. Would have been completely satisfied with that setup, however, ultimately chose to make a change ONLY because the mud-terrain tires are much louder. Thought I could live with it and they're no louder than any other mud-terrain tire. But for my preferences, combined with the Rivian being so quiet, I chose to make the change to a quieter tire. The 285 also allowed for a little wider tire and a better wheel well fitment.

RIVIAN STOCK TIRE OFFERINGS - Rivian's stock 22" and 21" offerings have a 33" tire diameter, one inch less than the stock 20" all-terrain setup. Again, to me, the 33" tires just fit the truck better, based on its size, how they fill the wheel wells, etc.

33 INCH MATCHING PIRELLI TIRE INSTEAD OF STOCK 34 INCH TIRE - I chose to look at the Pirelli tires. Found 275/60/20's in the same tire style as stock. They are the same style "Scorpion All-Terrain" Plus tire with the exact same tread pattern as the stock tires. Very similar load rating. Based on my ears at least, sound exactly the same as the stock tires from Rivian. The only difference is, they are 33" tires like the other offerings from Rivian. I love the way they fit the truck. Plus, with the custom wheels being 18mm offset, these tires provide additional clearance to avoid rubbing in any scenario I could come up with.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STOCK AND THESE TIRES - The only difference, these aren't stamped as being specifically made for a Rivian. On Tire Rack the stock 275/65/20 tire is $394. Also on Tire Rack, the exact same tread pattern tire, without the Rivian stamp in 275/60/20 (same width, just 33 inch diameter instead of 34 inches) are $248. Roughly $600 per set cheaper. I thought maybe the tires had sound-proofing in them. Read several articles where this sound proofing technique has not made any measurable difference in db ratings. My ears agree. If the stock tires are sound-proofed, I can't tell the difference when comparing these tires with the "Rivian" branded Pirelli's.

MY WHEEL OFFSET CONCLUSIONS / SUMMARY - Hope the info helps for anyone considering going with custom wheels. I probably will change these wheels out. I tried a 20mm offset wheel and it just barely rubbed the caliper. Short of having custom wheels made at probably around $6,000, for those seeking a more economical "off-the-shelf" custom style wheel option, appears that 18mm is both, the maximum and the minimum offset that will fit the truck. Any more offset (lower offset number) would push the wheels/tires out further and potentially rub. Any less offset (higher offset number), doesn't push them out far enough to clear the caliper. Every wheel could be different. So, will have to determine if its worth gambling and trying a set with less offset. I was willing to do so. I now have a brand new set of 20mm offset wheels that I love the look of, but can't fit them on the truck. 18mm appears to be the magic number, at least among what offerings I could find right now and if you go with the 275/60/20 tires instead. The stock 275/65/20 tires won't stick out anymore than these do, but will close the fender well gap and "might" allow it to reach the inner fender liner over a heavy dip. But, in either case, don't appear to have to worry about hitting the edge of the fender or fender flare.

My FINAL ANALYSIS ON OFFSETS / CLEARANCES - I'm dead set on this fitment (for me). May keep looking around for a different style wheel. A 20mm offset would be great if you can find one that the spokes aren't quite as thick and will clear the calipers. But for now, it's going to be a trial and error situation to determine since most places can't answer if they will fit the Rivian specifically. I'm sure some will fit, but can't tell until you try. The 20mm offset wheels I have needed no more than a millimeter to clear. So a 19mm offset wheel would probably work too, but haven't seen any with a 19mm offset. Keep in mind, it's possible that some 18mm wheels could be cut differently or have thicker spokes and not work too. LIkewise, some 20mm wheels out there might actually fit too. Point being, as far as pushing them out as far as you can, without rubbing, 18mm appears to be that maximum amount of offset you can have. 20mm will look just as good, if you can find one that fits. 17mm or less and they'll likely rub the fenders under heavy compression. There's one video of someone doing a +1mm offset and the wheels stuck out well past the fenders and the installer confirmed that they rubbed without moving, let alone while actually driving. If you never allow the truck to go into the low setting, can probably get away with that setup. But, for those that don't want to have to worry about it, 18mm appears to be the goldilocks' offset figure....if you also switch to the 33" 275/60/20 inch tire.

EDIT: 09/23/2022 - VERY HAPPY TO REPORT, WE FINALLY GOT THE TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS FIGURED OUT AND WORKING. Thanks to Jon at https://tpms247.com/ for getting it done.

STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING 1657323848266

STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING 1657323652656

STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING 1657324161993

STANDARD RIDE HEIGHT
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING 1657324220899

IN LOWEST SUSPENSION SETTING.......
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING 1657323753031

IN LOWEST SUSPENSION SETTING.......
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING 1657326529567

CLEARANCE IN LOWEST RIDE HEIGHT SETTING
Rivian R1T R1S UPDATED - New Custom Wheels / Tires 20x9, 18mm offset, with 275/60/20 Pirelli's (33") - NO RUBBING 1657350207047
Sponsored

Last edited:

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Meh. Doesn't look right to me. Check back in 30k miles and tell us how the wear and tear is, we can compare sizes 😉

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Meh. Doesn't look right to me. Check back in 30k miles and tell us how the wear and tear is, we can compare sizes 😉
And that's why you can always stick with the stock wheels and tires as many will do. Many will choose to do something different. The great thing about freedom to do as we choose to suit our own individual preferences. Again, post wasn't about hoping others like my personal choice in wheels, simply that this fitment fits the truck without rubbing. Trying to provide some trial and error info for those that are interested in it.

Just realized you also posted on my other thread as well. Apparently you don't like much that I say or do! LOL. Further point to the above.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I applaud the effort. Now please tell me all the cheap wheel options that fit so I can buy my winter setup! :)

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I applaud the effort. Now please tell me all the cheap wheel options that fit so I can buy my winter setup! :)
I started off using Tire Rack's list of available wheels that they said would fit the truck. Many however, had the 1mm offset and I knew that would be WAY too much. Some even had more. So ruled those out. Narrowed it up to the 18mm or less wheels. After taking measurements. Felt like about an inch, just a hair over was what I could get away with. Including going with the smaller set of tires. Turned out to be the absolute maximum. Just one tire size up, had an ever so slight rub over heavy dips. The 275/60/20 tire was the goldilocks size that prevents any rubbing.

I found 20mm offset wheels that I liked better and a company willing to let me try them. Unfortunately, as noted, they miss clearing the caliper by probably less than 1mm. As noted, not all wheels are cut the same.

But, appear to be safe to search for a 20x9 wheel with an 18mm offset. Ebay is a good place to look where you can narrow up the choices based on bolt pattern, offset, wheel size, etc. I'm still seeking someone that will make me a 2mm spacer to see if I can get the 20mm wheel on there.

Have learned that 18mm is the maximum I can push it out and with the 20mm wheel falling just a hair shy of clearing the caliper, a 2mm aluminum spacer would basically give me the same fitment. Have found plenty 2mm spacers, but none with a bolt pattern that matches the Rivian. So, still looking.

Since the Rivian is so new, tough to know for sure. The Rivian stock wheel is 48mm offset.

Having taken all my measurements, basically "about" 1 1/2 inches out from the stud hole, the mounting surface of the wheel needs to have about the same 1 1/2 inches of clearance to clear the caliper. I found a couple of wheels with smaller offsets that would likely fit, but didn't care for the wheel style.

Long story short, after typing the LONG story!! LOL, appears that most 18mm offset wheels will fit and if you go with the 275/60/20 tire, that will give you the clearance you need. So any wheel you can find with the right bolt pattern, offset, "should" work. If you can find 2mm aluminum spacers, that opens up the selection to 20mm. The selection of wheels with 20mm offset widens considerably. Far fewer at 18mm.

Ebay is a good place to search for 18mm offset wheels in the right size and see if you like any of their selections. The most expensive are around $450 per wheel. Tire Rack has a few that they've apparently confirmed will bolt onto the Rivian and clear the caliper, but anything over 18mm will have rubbing issues. Most of their choices are fairly inexpensive though.

Currently working on sorting out the tire pressure sensors with the TPMS company. Should have the part number and procedure for them hopefully by Monday, so that way you can leave your stock wheels/tires/sensors in tact. As soon as I can find a place to build the 2mm spacer, will be trying the other wheels as well. I know for sure they'll fit and clear the fenders as my process has confirmed that much.

As we go on, more and more will come available. But for now, the options are still limited. Depending on your personal tastes, you may find one you like. I wasn't originally in love with the wheels I have on the truck, but much like the truck itself, it looks better in person and the wheels actually look better in person. Everyone I talk to and tell them I'm looking to switch out the wheels, says they look great and tell me I should leave them.

Once I find the spacers, I'll be able to try the wheels I think I really like, but who knows, maybe will switch back to these again.

OK, any questions, please feel free. Ebay & Tire Rack are good places to search for the limited sizes we know will fit. Hope that helps.

Sponsored

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
Thanks for a great and very thorough analysis of tires. I got my Rivian off the Rivian store and didn't have a choice of tires and wheels. It came with the 21" wheels and road tires. They are great on the road and quiet but I want to add a set of 20" with off road tires but am unwilling to wait for Rivian to catch up. Luckily my Rivian came with a spare.
One question on tire size. Do all of the tires need to be the exact same size? I'm wondering if I need to add the spare in the rotation of the tires so that I don't end up with one tire that is a little bigger than the rest.

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
Do the 20" off road tires make a significant difference in mileage?

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Alex on autos got 338 miles of range in his 21” tires.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

So far, my most common drive, pre-wheel change, post mudder-tire change, then post 275/60/20 Pirelli change have all yielded 1.85 miles per kWh. Almost dead on, between 1.83 and 1.86 each time with each tire. 45 mile drive on the freeway where I usually travel in the 75-85 mph range. Not scientific, but the truck says it hasn't noticed a difference with any of the three tire configurations thus far. I however, haven't tested 21's or 22's offered by Rivian, so only speak to the differences, between the 20" all-terrain stock wheels/tires (275/65/20), custom wheels with 285/60/20 mud-terrain tires and same wheels, but with 275/60/20 all-terrain, stock matching tread tires. To which there has been no measurable difference among these.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Thanks for a great and very thorough analysis of tires. I got my Rivian off the Rivian store and didn't have a choice of tires and wheels. It came with the 21" wheels and road tires. They are great on the road and quiet but I want to add a set of 20" with off road tires but am unwilling to wait for Rivian to catch up. Luckily my Rivian came with a spare.
One question on tire size. Do all of the tires need to be the exact same size? I'm wondering if I need to add the spare in the rotation of the tires so that I don't end up with one tire that is a little bigger than the rest.
Spare "should" be the same circumference at least, as the tires you have on the truck. But, if it's a matter of going just a few miles to get to the nearest tire shop, I'm sure it will live if you have a smaller tire on there for a very short trip at relatively slow speeds. Most cars have/had dinky little space saver spares that do not match the size of the tires on the car. They had warnings with them to go slow and not drive further than necessary.

Not much different than if you have your tires pumped up to 48-50 psi and you have one tire going flat and are trying to limp to a gas station for air with only 10 psi in that one tire. It will be a smaller tire with only 10 psi in it. Can be done. Just do so with caution for short distances only. Otherwise, if you want to be able to just throw one on and leave it, then effectively use the blown out tire as the one to replace and use as the new spare, recommended to buy a 5th wheel/tire with your set. Or if you don't want to drive slowly and carefully and be able to get home with the spare, then at least get a spare tire with a matching tire circumference.

Sponsored

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
Currently working on sorting out the tire pressure sensors with the TPMS company. Should have the part number and procedure for them hopefully by Monday, so that way you can leave your stock wheels/tires/sensors in tact.
Did you end up figuring out TPMS? I am working on picking up a set of used 20" wheels but they will come without TPMS sensors. My guess is that I won't be able to get these from Rivian for a while (if ever). What sensor are you using? Do you have a procedure? Thanks!

Seth

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Did you end up figuring out TPMS? I am working on picking up a set of used 20" wheels but they will come without TPMS sensors. My guess is that I won't be able to get these from Rivian for a while (if ever). What sensor are you using? Do you have a procedure? Thanks!

Seth
The TPMS guy and I have been playing phone tag all week. Hoping to get it resolved soon. Will update as soon as I do.

Supraman16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Supra TT, Lexus ISF, Forester XT, Odyssey
Occupation
Professional
Just wondering if you noticed any rubbing on sharp turns when in lower height settings? Higher offsets usually bring the tire closer to the front or rear fender liner when making sharp turns.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Just wondering if you noticed any rubbing on sharp turns when in lower height settings? Higher offsets usually bring the tire closer to the front or rear fender liner when making sharp turns.
NO rubbing. Keep in mind, I went to the 33 inch tire. Whether that makes the difference or not? I previously had wider 33 1/2 tires on it and had no rubbing with those either. .

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
The TPMS guy and I have been playing phone tag all week. Hoping to get it resolved soon. Will update as soon as I do.
Did you get the TPMS sorted? My tire guy said that he thinks Rivian uses HUF sensors.
Sponsored