Sponsored

New app for Tesla owners -- Would you like to see something like this for Rivian?

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Rivian has said they will be providing a smartphone app but have given no details as of yet. Teslanomics youtube channel just posted a video about a new smartphone app, Tezlab, for Tesla owners. It appears to have some interesting features. Thought it would be interesting to get current EV owners, not just Tesla, opinion about it and would you find this app useful for your current EV and more specifically for your future Rivian?

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Wait. Is Sullins an app developer? Surprised by the use of "we" there. I'd definitely like something like this for comparing route/charging plans with other Rivian owners. There's going to be a lot of incomplete information as charging networks establish themselves and seeing how other people made it from X to Y could be really helpful.

OP
OP
EyeOnRivian

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Wait. Is Sullins an app developer? Surprised by the use of "we" there.
Not sure but he does work with big data / data analyst. The app was released in Feb 2017 as Teslab. Here's an early video of Ben reviewing it back then. At some point they apparently renamed it Tezlab. Not sure if he was part of the original team to develop it but according to the app developer's website Ben is currently listed as one of at least a 6 person team that apparently works on the app.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Very cool app, with a number of compelling capabilities.

I would hope that Rivian supports API access to this type of data as well, possibly in the same or similar format to Tesla, to allow interop with this app.

Or maybe in a Rivian-branded app, whether through partnership or built in house.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Very cool app, with a number of compelling capabilities.

I would hope that Rivian supports API access to this type of data as well, possibly in the same or similar format to Tesla, to allow interop with this app.

Or maybe in a Rivian-branded app, whether through partnership or built in house.
The Tesla API isn't actually supported or published anywhere officially, it's been reverse engineered and Tesla just tolerates it: https://www.teslaapi.io/#is-this-api-official

I agree with you though, hopefully Rivian provides similar functionality, and it would be amazing if they had a published API, even if not providing support for it. Tesla has the benefit of a large number of interested people, many in the tech industry. Rivian is still quite small and niche in comparison and needs the bump start. Having the ability to ability to write apps directly for the infotainment system would also be quite cool.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Maybe slightly more than tolerate. oAuth implementation suggests they intended to support third party applications eventually but don't want to be on the hook when they make breaking changes just yet. That's the case with a lot of the APIs the startup I work at is built on.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Definitely appears that we have our fair share of techies on this forum! ;)

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
They need to open relevant positions to remote applicants and build a remote-first company from the outset - it's much easier than trying to later leverage such a management and engineering mindset after process is ossified and looking for new blood.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
TezLab isn't new nor is Stats nor is TeslaFi and there are others. Apps that do what these do are of great interest to owners. If Rivian has a supported API available to developers I think that would be of great benefit to their marketing effort.
Sponsored