Sponsored

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Great question. The first observation I had, and why I'm holding out for the Rivian cover. I just installed the Builtright panels and they are great for strapping things in place. Love them.
In a customer service chat with Builtright, they told me (last week), that the side molle panels WILL work with the soft tonneau cover using the same attachment points.
Sponsored

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just ordered mine. With the email from Rivian today announcing the manual tonneau to be "Summer 2023" that scream (to me) August, which actually means September. Unfortunately, I'm not patient enough to wait that long and like to know that bed object don't easily fly out of the bed when heading down the highway.
“Summer 2023”’likely means that there will be an update towards the end of August” stating “by end of year”….for something already paid for (over a year ago for some)…

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150, Bronco, 812, R8, S5, Cayenne,67 Mustang
Occupation
Actuary
“Summer 2023”’likely means that there will be an update towards the end of August” stating “by end of year”….for something already paid for (over a year ago for some)…
Couldn’t agree more. My soft cover came wicked fast and I installed it a week ago. Very easy install that I took my time on and it was still well under an hour to do. Very happy with the finished product and it lowers my anxiety of something flying out the otherwise uncovered bed.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Couldn’t agree more. My soft cover came wicked fast and I installed it a week ago. Very easy install that I took my time on and it was still well under an hour to do. Very happy with the finished product and it lowers my anxiety of something flying out the otherwise uncovered bed.
Mine came about a week ago too. Waiting for a sunny/warm day to install. I’m glad to hear install was easy. In my limited experience m, EV Sportline is very responsive and helpful if assistance is needed.

JLee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C8, GX
Occupation
IT
hi JLee - the side rail is sitting too low. It should sit 'on top' of the bed liner edge. Move it up, like this:
Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 9.11.47 AM.png

PM me if you need more clarification or help!
Awesome, thank you -- I must have missed that in the instructions and had the side rails fully seated on the brackets. Good to go!

Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T MIMfZgS

Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Ok, my turn on the review/comments/pictures. There was some confusion in the shipping process but mine arrived last week while I was away. I installed it today.

Some summary items then some pictures and details:
  1. Overall i'd say its pretty easy to install but there are some areas that are tricky
  2. Before you start take a picture of panel gaps when your tailgate is closed. You'll want to compare later.
  3. When done, the result looks great (passed the wife test) and is very functional with a very good fit.
  4. The mounting hardware is excellent with tight (but perfect) tolerances
  5. The cover and rails are perfectly sized, but that means alignment on install is key or things will be off
  6. The mount near the cab is the right size but I don't believe it was designed for the Rivian. There are some extra areas which makes the install of it a pain (see below). This should be redesigned.
  7. 8lbs force on the nuts is either way too much or i'm just uncomfortable at that level. I did a "10" on my dewalt for tightness. 8lbs was a lot of turns past that point.
  8. The YouTube install video is a marketing video (nicely done), not install instructions. Read their install instructions.
  9. You can roll up the cover with the cross bars on but its a pain as it will not really roll under the bars so you have to undo the velcro and drag it under the bars and then get it rolled up again and then repeat at the next bar etc. Its not something i'd want to do regularly. If you're going to be rolling up a lot you wouldnt want the cross bars on when you do.
  10. The fitment/connection at the cab, where you can remove the entire tonneau is fiddly at best. Some people here spoke about removing it when they wanted to transport their bike and 1EV made it sound like its easy to pop on/off. I don't agree. Its not something i'd want to have to do as its a pain.
  11. Not a huge fan of the little tie loops that stick up at the front to tie the tonneau when its rolled up but a solution was needed I guess
  12. Dont tighten side rails until the end and make sure your panel gaps are the same. I finished the entire project following the instructions and had huge gaps at the end. I had to remove everything and re-set it and then I got back to the same gaps as I had at the start. This is fiddly.
Ok so now some specifics:

I cleaned the bed, rails etc before starting:

Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1261.JPG

I put bed mats in (one from 1EV and one from Amazon) to get full coverage. Made things easier on my knees and I was getting them anyway.
Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1263.JPG

Even with truck in kneel mode I did all of the work from inside the bed. I couldnt reach the things at 5'7". Parts:

Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1264.JPG

The little plastic caps I initially had a hard time getting off. A screw driver is too thick. I used a knife tip which made things faster. I wasnt sure on the orientation of the blocks and had to zoom into the video, this is how they should be:
Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1265.JPG

They say the front clips (near the cab) are tight and you have to push hard until they click. They are hard but if you're having to apply a lot of force its more likely they're the front plate isn't flat on both ends and front to back. Check that before applying a lot of force. I pushed hard and slipped and sliced up my hand.

Rolled up view:
Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1274.JPG

These hold the rolled up cover in place:
Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1275.JPG

They dangle when not in use:
Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1276.JPG

I found you can shove the plastic end into the front bar release levers so they wont rattle:
Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1277.JPG

After installing everything and it all worked and my tailgate closed, the tailgate gap looked bad:

Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1286.JPG

I thought I would have noticed that before but I wasnt sure so I had to remove everything to confirm no gaps like this (and take a picture) then had to re-do things.

The root cause of most of the pain (literally since I cut myself) and the misalignments is this area. You'll see a rectangular piece coming together with a curved piece and then a sticking out plastic piece which is all part of that front bar. This was clearly not originally made for the rivian and these pieces do not go together well. With a lot of fiddling you can make it happen but its not good. This part should be redesigned or cut off or something.

Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1291.JPG

With the re-aligned rails and cover on, the panel gap was then fine:
Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1292.JPG

These little hook things stick up so you can tie up the tonneau when rolled up but they stick up all the time and if you rarely roll it up its not as clean a look:
Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1293.JPG

Got it done and it looks good but as you can see there are some nuances.
Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1284.JPG

(Note the branding on the cover as mentioned by others isn't 1EV).

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Ok, my turn on the review/comments/pictures. There was some confusion in the shipping process but mine arrived last week while I was away. I installed it today.
As a follow up to this we got some much needed rain here in MA and I got to let it get some water. It kept the bed mostly dry but not completely dry. There's a little (very) water on the rails under the cover and then in the front against the cab. I got the rails and cab as tight as I possibly could. I did notice the cover covers more of the left side than the right (gap between rail and body) but both rails underneath the cover got some water on them.

So its good for stopping things from flying out of the truck and basic security (good enough for me for sure) and minimizing water into the bed, but its wont keep things totally dry at least in my experience.

Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1294

I expected water to sit on it like this from experience with other rollup tonneau covers like this.

Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1295

A little water inside the bed, seems to drip down from the rail

Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1296

And a little dripping down against the cab. I have the rubber seal inside facing down per the instructions but obviously that's not water tight. I couldnt possibly have gotten the rails/bar any closer to the cab.

Rivian R1T R1S New aftermarket (manual) Tonneau Cover for Rivian R1T IMG_1297

On the right side here you can see the cover covering the gap between the bed and the side. On the left side there's more of a gap. But rails underneath the tonneau cover on both sides were damp (wet to the touch but very little water).

I'd be interested to see how others have done with the @EV Sportline tonneau cover and if this is about the same experience.

Overall I'm happy with the cover and the value and it sure beats the non-existent offering(s) from Rivian. I would have loved a working automatic tonneau cover from Rivian but that was more of a promise than a reality.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
In a customer service chat with Builtright, they told me (last week), that the side molle panels WILL work with the soft tonneau cover using the same attachment points.
Ev sportline confirmed the opposite previously... Have you tried? Does anyone have both?

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ev sportline confirmed the opposite previously... Have you tried? Does anyone have both?
I have not tried...just reporting what they told me. I think they have a fair return policy, so I'd suggest someone who wants both have the same chat with them so you have some confirmation, and try the install. I'm not patient or mechanically inclined enough to want to undo my installation of the soft tonneau. If I do get the side molle panels and install them, I'll be sure to report back.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I have not tried...just reporting what they told me. I think they have a fair return policy, so I'd suggest someone who wants both have the same chat with them so you have some confirmation, and try the install. I'm not patient or mechanically inclined enough to want to undo my installation of the soft tonneau. If I do get the side molle panels and install them, I'll be sure to report back.
Yeah, I built my own tonneau (the interrobang one) because I would rather have the molle panels. I don't think I would have changed my mind anyway though, since I'd rather have a hard tonneau, and the DIY was cheaper anyway...

But, I'd love to hear the actual answer just to know. :)

Sponsored

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

My request was to cancel the order for the manual tonneau which has been unfulfilled since December, and receive a refund for the payment.
Refund received today $848

CrazeeEyez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model X and XP
Occupation
Software
Installed my EV Sportsline tonneau cover this past weekend. After seeing the Rivian manual tonneau cover video this week (which was part of my order, as well) I'm not sure the Rivian manual cover is better than the EVSportsline cover. Wondering how others are feeling!

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
Really excited for the manual tonneau; I think it’ll be great for our use! If I wasn’t at the $800 price point though I would definitely go aftermarket or with the Interrobang design!

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
I never liked the manual cover types because of the need to store them when removed. The rollups self-store in a simple way.
Sponsored