Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

The LTX M+S is going to be a better tire than the Scorpion AT IMO. Better efficiency and quieter while still capable to go off road. Smaller by an inch means better efficiency because the rotating mass is less. It's likely that Michelin might release a 21" LTX AT2 below. Smooth even at 100mph, lol. 265/70/17 so roughly a 32"
Rivian R1T R1S New 21" tire option - Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 275/55-21 @ $380 3026024755416698386

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I need to jaunt over to the Michelin offices and ask if they need me to field test those in the 21" OEM size for them

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
this is AMAZING news for anyone who has the 21s, but I’ll still be going with the 20s and switching to the Michelin LTX A/S when the time comes. Range of the 21s with a better look too. Also still $100 cheaper than this tires at $275

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
this is AMAZING news for anyone who has the 21s, but I’ll still be going with the 20s and switching to the Michelin LTX A/S when the time comes. Range of the 21s with a better look too. Also still $100 cheaper than this tires at $275
Have you looked into the 20" LTX for the Rivian? There have been posts by folks saying that some of the national tire retailers won't mount them on Rivians. That seems to also be the case at the big box stores like Walmart and Costco.

Sponsored

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Have you looked into the 20" LTX for the Rivian? There have been posts by folks saying that some of the national tire retailers won't mount them on Rivians. That seems to also be the case at the big box stores like Walmart and Costco.
My local CostCo and Sam's Club (Central Illinois) both indicated they have no issues with mounting tires/rotations/balancing on the Rivian as long as the tires meet specs. Both were familiar with Rivians. At Sam's they said they would only use a specific lift which they had in only 1 of the 4 bays.

Sam's has the 21' Pirelli tires, Costco has nothing for 21'.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I'm surprise how Rivian do not use this? If the 20s have the same range as the 21s, that would be such a selling point for many customers !!

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
I mean I know folks here on the forums who have both the LTX and the Pirelli Scorpion 3 AS+ on and their 20s 🤷🏾‍♂️.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I mean I know folks here on the forums who have both the LTX and the Pirelli Scorpion 3 AS+ on and their 20s 🤷🏾‍♂️.
Yes that's true and there's no reason that you couldn't use the Michelin Defender LTX 275/65/R20 on either the R1t or the R1S.

From what I can see however, many places that you can purchase that specific tire from won't mount it on a Rivian. Costco seems to be one and I think it's the same for Walmart and even Tire Rack. It may well be the case that a smaller local tire retailer will sell and mount them for you however. I've also seen posts where folks purchased the tire from a place like Walmart and had a local shop do the mounting.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Yes that's true and there's no reason that you couldn't use the Michelin Defender LTX 275/65/R20 on either the R1t or the R1S.

From what I can see however, many places that you can purchase that specific tire from won't mount it on a Rivian. Costco seems to be one and I think it's the same for Walmart and even Tire Rack. It may well be the case that a smaller local tire retailer will sell and mount them for you however. I've also seen posts where folks purchased the tire from a place like Walmart and had a local shop do the mounting.
Which part of the tire was under spec? I don’t remember?

Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Which part of the tire was under spec? I don’t remember?
I would have though that If anything, the load rating would be the issue. The Tire Rack site shows it as "E" (Load Index 126 - Max. Load=3,750 lbs) however, which should be more than sufficient. Perhaps it's wear when used on a heavy EV, or maybe something less obvious like the manufacturer not endorsing the use on a Rivian or insurance/liability issues.

Last edited:

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

It's the speed rating of 106mph that is the issue.

TheCaDean

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Rivian
Occupation
Asset Managment
Clubs

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 12.18.59 PM.png

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mhl-43596

Look like they are coming out with Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 275/55-21 that will come in end of July.

Saves me from having to go aftermarket wheels and tires.
Thats too little too late for me I had to sell my 21” Rims on Ebay and go with aftermarket 20” rims and Nitto Recons since I only got a disappointing 9k mi from my Pirelli tires from delivery. That only option was more lack luster Pirellis and was a no brainer to sell on ebay for 1200$, helped pay for new tire set up👍 I never would have had 21” tires put on if I would’ve know that tire manufacturers dont make tires as much for certain rim size’s including 21” 👎🏻

Rivian R1T R1S New 21" tire option - Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 275/55-21 @ $380 IMG_4118
Sponsored