Nervous about Rivian purchase as date draws nearer

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
You have valid concerns. And if you can look past the manufacturing issues, quality assurance shortcomings and less than impressive adventure gear “upgrades”, then go for it.

If you can’t and know those types of things will grind on you than don’t do it because there will be issues. Some can look past them for only reasons they know, other can’t and need an outlet (like this forum).

At this point I think you’ve read enough and know what to expect if you take delivery. Let us know if you decide to take delivery.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Legi0n

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Blue
Occupation
IT
Clubs

First off, I have had my order in for an R1T since February 2022, so under the old pricing. I also have an order in for the Cybertruck @ ~ 600K in line. I LOVE the looks and performance of the R1T and the Cybertruck looks I like, but not as well. I have been looking forward to my "April-May 2023" delivery window - but... As time draws nearer to the actual purchase, I continue to read about what Rivian has/is taking away - reasons I wanted it to begin with. The Camp Kitchen is still nowhere to be found, the automatic Tonneau cover is gone, as well as the Fronk 12v charger, now the 12v charger under the center dash and the elimination of the Meridian sound system (with an in-house replacement). Then we see the financial numbers like in this article: https://apple.news/AJYQyrW7PQxaac3mOMmpL9A

All of this really concerns me, even though I REALLY want an R1T, if the company is going to survive once Tesla, who has a proven track record of not only mass producing vehicles, but being profitable - comes out with the Cybertruck. I am concerned I am going to have an R1T that is ~2 years old, the company does under and no one is updating the software, and because of this, I would not be able to sell it if I wanted to. Is it just me? Any help here? How in the world is Rivian going to hang on long enough, and get enough mass production to become profitable, especially once the Cybertruck comes out - with all of its features?

UPDATE: It must be karma - just moments ago, I heard back from my Rivian Guide that they have a VIN number for me! Literally - just hours after my original post. Thanks for all of your comments and feedback. - I am going to take delivery.
I had a CyberTruck reservation before I ever learned about Rivian. I had some emails and updates along the way from Rivian nothing from Tesla. I got my Rivian R1T in May, but have had zero communications from Tesla cybertruck on how to cancel and get my money back. I would choose Rivian every six days plus Sunday. Loving my choice.

Deleted member 11292

He did this exact thing in 2016, stole ten times as much cash from me as an interest-free loan, and had the gall to deliver my model 3 that I have been driving for over five years problem-free. What a scam artist!! /s
Does it have the FSD, and how was your drive across country without intervention? And how much extra cash are you making every month renting it out as a robotaxi in his boring tunnel network?

And what are you even doing in this forum when it makes no sense to buy anything but a Tesla?
/s

He's accomplished a bunch but there's a lot of total BS along the way.

doozenberg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Model 3, ‘22 Model Y, R1S reservation holder
Occupation
Physician
Does it have the FSD, and how was your drive across country without intervention? And how much extra cash are you making every month renting it out as a robotaxi in his boring tunnel network?

And what are you even doing in this forum when it makes no sense to buy anything but a Tesla?
/s

He's accomplished a bunch but there's a lot of total BS along the way.
Everyone makes failed promises, like tank turns and camp kitchens and $70,000 starting prices. 🧐😉

Your clear hatred/disdain/strange jealousy of a singular individual aside, I have an R1S preorder from 11/26/2018 with a 4.5-year-and-counting interest-free loan to rivian! Thanks for the warm welcome, clearly feel the sense of community from you.

Last edited:

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have an R1S preorder from 11/26/2018 with a 4.5-year-and-counting interest-free loan to rivian!
If you go through with the purchase you’ll earn an easy 15-20x on that interest free loan. Seems like the CT might be a better fit for you though

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

...I have an R1S preorder from 11/26/2018 with a 4.5-year-and-counting interest-free loan to rivian! Thanks for the warm welcome, clearly feel the sense of community from you.
First, let me be clear. I am not defending Rivian.

Interest free loan compared to what?? If you had invested $1k 4.5yrs ago, how much would you have?? Few thousands? Lets make it 10x ROI, which would make it $10K.

Now, lets compare the pre-March pricing versus current, albeit without some of the features and options originally available/planned.

If you compare the 10x return on your deposit versus cost savings of legacy pricing, I am certain which has higher net benefit to you....

doozenberg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
If you go through with the purchase you’ll earn an easy 15-20x on that interest free loan. Seems like the CT might be a better fit for you though

Interest free loan compared to what?? If you had invested $1k 4.5yrs ago, how much would you have?? Few thousands? Lets make it 10x ROI, which would make it $10K.

Now, lets compare the pre-March pricing versus current, albeit without some of the features and options originally available/planned.

If you compare the 10x return on your deposit versus cost savings of legacy pricing, I am certain which has higher net benefit to you....

It always blows my mind how people will fall for Elon Musk getting up on stage and making promises expressly so that they'll loan him hundreds of millions of dollars, interest free. He'll probably make more money never building it.

There's one born every minute.

Guys calm down. Was replying to @GMoneyR1T who was getting panties in a twist about the “$100 interest free loan” to Tesla. Agreed, it is an absurd way to think about preorder deposits. But many including myself also not interested in flipping cars off preorders.

It seems that everything needs to be very polarized here. God forbid any consumer has any interest in multiple brands. Sheesh. Calm down.

Deleted member 11292

Your clear hatred/disdain/strange jealousy of a singular individual aside, I have an R1S preorder from 11/26/2018 with a 4.5-year-and-counting interest-free loan to rivian! Thanks for the warm welcome, clearly feel the sense of community from you.
Warm welcome? I posted a criticism of Elon, not you, don't know you from Adam. Curious that you feel the need to tell me about myself.

doozenberg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician

Rad_ry

First Name
Reece
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5
Occupation
Finance
I also have a Cybertruck reservation placed on day two. Have had my R1T since June. It hasn't been perfect, but service is pretty good about addressing whatever issues I've had. As a former very happy Model 3 owner, the Rivian is just a much better, higher-quality vehicle. I suspect the CT is going to be a truck that just can't compete with the R1T in terms of quality on many fronts. Take delivery of your R1T and you will be very happy, even if you have some minor kinks that service will work through for you.
Interesting feedback!

I think there is actually more downside risk for cybertruck and more upside for Rivian/R1T.

By year end, Rivian will be likely humming with production, introduced enduro and apparently they’re planning EOY changes, might even get close to revealing details on R2T.

Whereas Cybertruck will be slowly entering production, actual cost will be announced (and it may not be pretty), volume deliveries may get pushed back into 24/25!!!

I feel there is a real chance people will opt over to Rivian. Let’s see!

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Guys calm down. Was replying to @GMoneyR1T who was getting panties in a twist about the “$100 interest free loan” to Tesla. Agreed, it is an absurd way to think about preorder deposits. But many including myself also not interested in flipping cars off preorders.

It seems that everything needs to be very polarized here. God forbid any consumer has any interest in multiple brands. Sheesh. Calm down.
Don't include me in your argument.... As stated, I'm neither pro or anti Rivian. All I said was that deposit amount is trivial. Did not know your comment was directed at someone's Tesla deposit.

Maybe you had a knee jerk reaction and included me with the other two quotes? You told us to calm down twice... Perhaps self prescription would help?

Fully agree that people do have interests in multiple brands. I'm patiently waiting for real 2 seater EV sports car from proper sports car brand. Neither Rivian nor Tesla are it. We only have the R1S preorder because it will be the new wifemobile - she likes it. I'm not an SUV, and certainly not a truck.guy.

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
We were in the same boat. We almost backed out but glad we didn’t!!! We ultimately pulled the trigger because we got the good pricing, wanted something new and exciting for the family, and we are only 10 minutes from a service center for piece of mind.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Warm welcome? I posted a criticism of Elon, not you, don't know you from Adam. Curious that you feel the need to tell me about myself.
Apparently Adam and Elon both suck.

doozenberg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician

Don't include me in your argument.... As stated, I'm neither pro or anti Rivian. All I said was that deposit amount is trivial. Did not know your comment was directed at someone's Tesla deposit.

Maybe you had a knee jerk reaction and included me with the other two quotes? You told us to calm down twice... Perhaps self prescription would help?
Calm down twice was for the multiple rhetorical questions using ?? twice, seemed you got worked up. Sorry that offended you. No argument, just replying. Thanks for the diagnosis and prescription doc.
Sponsored