NEMA 10-30 to 14-50 Charging

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
So my wall charger arrived weeks before my R1T and found out that it’s not a viable option currently on my setup without a major work. So I found a splitter adapter online that can take my wall charger but the company noted that unless the Rivian charger can lower it’s amperage, it will just trip the breaker every time. I reach out to my guide but wasn’t too helpful and flatly say they don’t work with 3rd party adapters. Splitvolt showed me a screenshot of what it looks like from a Rivian site indicating that you can lower the amperage but this has not been confirmed by my guide nor by Rivian customer service.
Does anybody have been using a NEMA 10-30 dryer outlet for charging?
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
There are three dip switches that lower the amperage draw of the Vivian charger. I don't recall how low it goes but it goes below the 48 max. Whether or not that would work with your setup isn't something I could tell you though.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
So my wall charger arrived weeks before my R1T and found out that it’s not a viable option currently on my setup without a major work. So I found a splitter adapter online that can take my wall charger but the company noted that unless the Rivian charger can lower it’s amperage, it will just trip the breaker every time. I reach out to my guide but wasn’t too helpful and flatly say they don’t work with 3rd party adapters. Splitvolt showed me a screenshot of what it looks like from a Rivian site indicating that you can lower the amperage but this has not been confirmed by my guide nor by Rivian customer service.
The wall charger installation guide is available in the support section of rivian.com and should answer your questions. Please note that Rivian recommends hardwired installations of the wall charger.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
You can hard wire the Rivian charger straight to the Splitvolt?
Also, I would highly recommend changing out that dryer outlet for an industrial outlet since you're going to be pulling maximum amperage for an extended amount of time. Dryer outlets aren't made for that kind of stress and will eventually melt or cause a fire on you.

https://www.grainger.com/product/BRYANT-Receptacle-Industrial-49YY64

Sponsored

OP
OP
PowerBugs

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
You can hard wire the Rivian charger straight to the Splitvolt?
Also, I would highly recommend changing out that dryer outlet for an industrial outlet since you're going to be pulling maximum amperage for an extended amount of time. Dryer outlets aren't made for that kind of stress and will eventually melt or cause a fire on you.

https://www.grainger.com/product/BRYANT-Receptacle-Industrial-49YY64
I gave up the idea of the wall charger since my circumstance doesn’t allow it.
it would be the portable charger that I intend to use for the splitter adapter on my dryer outlet. Will do that after I can return the wall charger.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I have a 10-30 outlet in my garage. Until I install a new 60A circuit for my wall charger, I am using this outlet with the Rivian portable charger. I bought a 10-30 to 14-50 adapter and simply plug the portable charger into it. Pulled a solid 8KW charge through this setup.

Seattleite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Slacker
I have a 10-30 outlet in my garage. Until I install a new 60A circuit for my wall charger, I am using this outlet with the Rivian portable charger. I bought a 10-30 to 14-50 adapter and simply plug the portable charger into it. Pulled a solid 8KW charge through this setup.
I'm not an electrician, but that seems to be problematic - if you're pulling 8kW, that implies ~32A, through a circuit that should be no more than 80% of 30A ~24A...

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I'm not an electrician, but that seems to be problematic - if you're pulling 8kW, that implies ~32A, through a circuit that should be no more than 80% of 30A ~24A...
Agreed. After I posted this, I did the same math and got nervous. Adjusted the truck charging amperage down to 24 amps and saw 6kW. No breakers thrown at higher amperage but nervous about something heating up in the system. Need to get my wall charger installed soon.

OP
OP
PowerBugs

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Glad to know it works. Which brand are you using? How much charge to you get overnight?

Sponsored

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Not sure why you haven't got straight answers but yes, you can reduce the current in the truck in the energy app on the center screen, and I often do so quickly after plugging in before it ramps up. Just be aware it is not the best at remembering your last setting so you would need to do this every time, and quickly before it trips something. But perfectly find for a temporary situation.
And yes you can pick up inexpensive charge connectors online that let you set a reduced current via dip switch etc so you don't need to do this all the time if this is to be used at home/more often.

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
I have only a 30 AMP circuit in my garage, so I had my Rivian Wall Charger installed with Dip switches set for 24 Amps. I charge normally overnight from about a range of 30-40% state of charge (SOC) to about 70% SOC, with the charging taking somewhere around 8-1/2 hours. It hasn't been problem for me since I'm retired, and I don't have to commute to work everyday.

Also, I keep a very close eye on the truck charging screen to make sure the charge limit is set for 24 AMP, and stays there, not at the default of 48 Amps.

If anything comes up and I have to travel and don't have time to charge at home, I just run up to any available DC public charger and get a quick boost.

For me I'm glad I set it up that way, as I can leave the portable charger in the truck and use use it when whenever we travel or visit family or friends.
Sponsored