Navigation issue - no voice guidance only chime

Sathington

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I’ve had the truck a couple weeks and noticed I can’t voice guidance to work with directions - it’s silent (chime works fine). Only other issue with infotainment I have is inability to enable Alexa (have seen others in the forums have this issue) - not sure if they are at all related. Any ideas or best to contact the service department?
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Not sure about the Alexa thing but the voice Nav can probably be fixed by an infotainment reset (hold left and right most buttons on the steering wheel).

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
You can mute the turn by turn to just get a chime. Put in directions to somewhere, bottom left corner you'll have the map like then the middle will be a speaker icon with a line through it, that's the mute / chime. Press that to get Alexa talking again.

OP
OP

Sathington

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks I’ll try again in the morning - I’ve done the reset and am pretty sure it’s not the volume on mute but will look again to make sure.
Re: Alexa, I’m stuck at the part where it says to put in Park to setup Alexa but the button remains greyed out so you can’t select it even when in Park.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sathington

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks I’ll try again in the morning - I’ve done the reset and am pretty sure it’s not the volume on mute but will look again to make sure.
Re: Alexa, I’m stuck at the part where it says to put in Park to setup Alexa but the button remains greyed out so you can’t select it even when in Park.
Tried again to get voice navigation to work after the soft reset and turning the mute on/off, selecting Chime and Voice back and forth but can never get the Voice to work. Saw a similar thread on a different Rivian forum also unresolved. I'll reach out to Customer Service and report back if anything helped.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Yes, a number of us have that same issue. Both buttons greyed out and not select-able, and the message "Park to set up Alexa" is displayed (and yes, the vehicle is in Park). Resets don't help. See https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/alexa-cant-connect-issue.5741/

Have you found a solution yet? What did the service center tell you?

I believe the lack of voice in the navigation is due to the fact that Alexa isn't set up - I believe Alexa services are used for generating the voice. I have the same issue - only the chime works, and if you switch it to voice the navigation alerts are silent.

OP
OP

Sathington

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Still not working for me. I had a mobile tech come out to deliver a gear guard cable that wasn’t in the truck when I picked it up - he tried the resets with no luck, suggested I may need to bring it in.

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
Still not working for me. I had a mobile tech come out to deliver a gear guard cable that wasn’t in the truck when I picked it up - he tried the resets with no luck, suggested I may need to bring it in.

Sponsored

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
Didi you get an answer on your audio issue? I have the xact same thing going on..engineers are looking at it..

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I believe the lack of voice in the navigation is due to the fact that Alexa isn't set up - I believe Alexa services are used for generating the voice. I have the same issue - only the chime works, and if you switch it to voice the navigation alerts are silent.
It’s not that. I never setup Alexa and my voice navigation works fine.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
You haven't chosen "Try Alexa" in the menu? They would probably have walked you through doing that when you took delivery. I'm positive that the Alexa software is used for the navigation voice, whether you have an Alexa account or not.

My problem with Alexa was exactly what @Sathington described in the original post, and mine was fixed by Mobile Service. I discussed that in the thread I linked in #8. Here it is again: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/alexa-cant-connect-issue.5741/page-2#post-245450

Last edited:
OP
OP

Sathington

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My voice navigation still doesn't work. Let us know if you get a solution esp. if it doesnt require taking your vehicle to a service center.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Yes I did find a solution and it works now for me. It required Mobile Service and they fixed it in a few minutes. I'm even using one of the non-default voices for navigation, just for fun. Again, details in that other thread.
Sponsored