First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Ugh. I'll send this to my agent to see what he says. If it's true maybe I'll insure the rivian solo on nationwide and bring everything else back to state farm.
I reached out to a friend that is a State Farm agent. They have not handled any Rivian claims but have had this with some Tesla claims where their client was at fault.

Will be curious what your agent says.
Sponsored

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
It makes sense they are returning to State Farm. But with State Farm's corporate HQ in the same town as Rivian's factory, you'd think there would be better synergy there. Sure its all actuarial tables, but some of the execs might actually drive Rivians so maybe a better understanding of the safety features and the niche insurance needs of off road driving might translate into better rates.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I’m with Nationwide on my R1T but stayed with Allstate for homeowners and umbrella. Nationwide did not want to insure my house with a 2008 roof. 50 year shingles and they wanted over $7k and would not cover hail damage on the roof. Comparable coverage with Allstate was $2k.

On the flip side however, Allstate wanted nearly double what Nationwide is charging for my truck. So mix and match it is.

AfroRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
I'm in a very similar boat. The biggest issue I face with Nationwide is that they do not offer insurance for corporate/business - and since the vehicle will be registered to a business they wouldn't cover it. However, I know that Nationwide is likely the best insurer for the Rivian so I will reach out to the CPA and see if covering the Rivian as a personal vehicle used for business purposes part time (real estate) would be an issue for them.

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
I tried to get a quote from Rivian insurance. Emailed them twice (since there's no phone number). Nobody ever responded. Enough said.

Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Nationwide wouldn't even give me a quote. Apparently I had too many claims on my policy. I guess having my catalytic converter stolen twice in a year makes my EV a higher risk for the same? :rolleyes:

And apparently even if they could quote me, I would have to bundle homeowners. I'm not really interested in that.

I like the idea of an insurer that is actually used to dealing with Rivian's. But not enough to put up with the multiple levels of nonsense Nationwide is putting out.

I hope Rivian finds a better partner next time their contract is up for renewal. The insurance product is a good idea, just poorly executed.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You guys complain about Nationwide, you could have Farmers. They quoted 2.5x everyone else for my R1S and now they're dropping coverage for something like 100k people in FL.

They'll all find a way to screw you over eventually.

OP
OP
mabowden

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I get that homeowner's insurance in California is a mess, but the only reasonable way to get an umbrella is to bundle.

Nationwide was the worst home owners insurer I have ever dealt with. Just my $.02 and others on this board. If you are just insuring the Rivian, maybe you will have a positive experience? But I'm not the only one @ksujeff99 also had ridiculous demands.

What's funny is I have a 38 year old steel roof and they didn't say a thing about it, but a crack in my concrete driveway and very slight unevenness in my original brick front walkway (70 YO) and its an instant no.

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
The sentiment towards Nationwide (Rivian Insurance) on these forums has been fairly positive, so I decided to give it a go given all the good press and OEM replacement parts. To make any insurance company work, I have to bundle my house and umbrella policy with the same insurer. The market for homeowner's insurance in California is getting pretty terrible, so there are really only a few insurers left where you can get auto-home-umbrella in the same place and it is generally the bigger names.

And almost from day one I've regretted it, and let me tell you why. NOTE: Rivian Insurance agency was lovely and very good to work with. This is more a review on Nationwide. Also, almost all the problems came from the homeowner's policy and not the auto policy.

The signup process with Rivian Insurance was fairly straightforward and easy. They have a dedicated call number with people who are honestly super friendly and helpful. I never had a long wait when I called.

That's honestly where the niceties ended in my book.

1. About a month after my coverage began, I received a letter from Nationwide saying my homeowner's insurance went up because I hadn't signed a certification of occupancy. Note that Nationwide never sent me this or ever asked for it. The first letter I get from them says, "Your occupancy discount has been canceled". This was fixed in ten minutes with a docusign, but they had already contacted my mortgage provider to have the difference in insurance cost paid out of escrow.
  2. About 2 weeks after that I get the same thing but for my centralized monitoring alarm discount. Again, they never asked for the certificate. I get the letter saying again the discount was canceled and again they contacted my mortgage provider for the difference even though I had emailed it to them within an hour of receiving the letter.
  3. About six weeks into the coverage they sent out a home inspector for a safety inspection of the house
  4. About six weeks after the inspection I get a letter saying my homeowner's policy was canceled (again no one called before this). In order to reinstate the policy I would have to:
    1. Fix my 70 year old brick pathway to the house. I have a few bricks that are cracked that they want to be fixed. I live in a historic district in Socal and one of the best parts of the house is the masonry. If you saw the bricks you would think this is total overkill.
    2. Repour my driveway. I have a crack in my driveway and one side of the crack is about 1/4" higher than the rest. They wanted me to repour my driveway. If you saw my driveway you would think this is total overkill.
    3. They claimed I had trees touching my house. I have one tree in my front yard that I always have about a 6 foot clearance between the lowest branches and the roof of the house. I'm pretty retentive about this because the ideas of rats getting in my attic scares me. This was a flat out lie.
After all the terrible issues with the homeowner's side I'm not going to even try to remedy the above. Going back to state farm with a wonderful agent who is helpful and ALWAYs will notify me if he needs anything, and has never given me issues with any of the above. At first I had geico for auto insurance and didn't want to insure the rivian with Geico after stories on this forum, but I do have more faith in state farm and ultimately cannot deal with the Nationwide shenanigans. To go back to state farm for the whole enchilada was $200 more a year, and will end up being $200 less in 3 years when loyalty discounts kick in for the auto insurance. Given time it will be about the same cost

PSA: Nationwide sucked for my situation with their homeowner's insurance. Wish I wouldn't have switched.
If they are that rough when you are writing them checks, I can't imagine what they are like when you make a claim. Makes me a little concerned for my Nationwide policies.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Obviously anecdotal, but I've had to file 2 claims on my R1T through Nationwide. Both were easy, quick, and flawless. No haggling or arguing, they just paid the shop the bill and we went our separate ways.

I do not have anything else bundled though. Probably move my motorcycles over there when they are next up for renewal, but currently it's just the R1T.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I tried to get a quote from Rivian insurance. Emailed them twice (since there's no phone number). Nobody ever responded. Enough said.
The phone number for Rivian Insurance is: 888-748-4268 Option#3 for sales/new policy.

Brown_Wings

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2020 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Pilot
Nationwide wouldn't even give me a quote. Apparently I had too many claims on my policy. I guess having my catalytic converter stolen twice in a year makes my EV a higher risk for the same? :rolleyes:

And apparently even if they could quote me, I would have to bundle homeowners. I'm not really interested in that.

I like the idea of an insurer that is actually used to dealing with Rivian's. But not enough to put up with the multiple levels of nonsense Nationwide is putting out.

I hope Rivian finds a better partner next time their contract is up for renewal. The insurance product is a good idea, just poorly executed.

I had this same issue, that Nationwide wouldn’t give me a quote on my R1S without bundling my home, and their homeowners policy was over TWICE as much as State Farm. I had another agent call me back and he stated the same thing. But he emailed me back a few mins later saying in their system, he needed to select I had homeowners insurance, just with a different company. Then voila, I had a quote. I lost the nationwide multi-policy discount, but the rate he quoted was still lower than my 6 month policy rate with State Farm. My only rub is nationwide makes you pay 75% up front for the initial policy, then you can do monthly or however you want. The ability to have fast access in case of a totaled car, and Rivian shop rates is why I am
Going to give them a try.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Wow - sorry to hear about this experience.

Glad you made it back to State Farm. You know Jake is ready for anything!

Meanwhile - I don't bother bundling my policy (currently with Progressive - but I don't have a Rivian yet) with homeowners because of nightmares I've had with auto insurance companies and their policies.

I actually pay more, but get a much better experience by keeping them seperate. I have Travelers Homeowner Insurance. They have been great for the 10 years we've had them.
Sponsored