Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Nice click bait subject line - you seem to be fond of them.
Sponsored

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Nice Video, thanks!

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
As the physicists on this board will attest, water is dielectric and so if you wet the capacitive sensor on the R1T, the vehicle is unlocked, and the key is with in range, you will open the charge cover door with water.

I unlock the doors of my i3s when washing my car if the key is on me if I get the capacitive door handles wet.

If someone would like to submit a ticket to RIVIAN requesting that they alter physics, I would be very interested to hear their response.

Now to the OP's point - maybe there is a way to remedy this through software. The easiest fix, like others mentioned, is a Car Wash mode which disables the charge port door.

Another option might be to disable the capacitive button if the rain sensor detects water such that you need to open the door from the inside using the display (or through the key fob if that is possible).
Like others, I'm concerned about non-car wash instances.

I could see this getting really old within one Saturday if it's raining.

Arrive at Target, put the car in park. Chargeport door opens. Hit the button inside to close the chargeport door, it closes. Go to get out of the car, it opens. Now I'm in the rain. Hit the sensor to close the door and start walking away, it opens. Go back to the car, lock the door, close the chargeport door walk away.

It just seems really weird that with the amount of testing they have done that this never came up. Or are there other specific conditions that's triggering this? Ie, temperature of the water? Can it be tuned to be less sensitive? Or perhaps a double tap deal? I'm just a little baffled that key+park+water = Charlie Chaplin act with the chargeport door. I've never had an issue on any Tesla with this either.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
So I got into it with the R1T today. First with a hose on "Shower" setting, then on the "Jet' setting, and finally with my pressure washer. The good news is, the truck is very well insulated. Even the tonneau cover held water out incredibly well for the most part. The bad news is I found a major flaw (which I'm sure has been discussed here before). The charge port cover opens if any water touches it. I made a thorough video of the whole thing which I hope you guys enjoy:

Thanks for doing this test - very informative. So what you're saying is that I can't stand on the tonneau - lol.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
I don't think the charge port in the Model S is capacitive. It requires physical pressure on the charge port door (or use of the button on the charger handle or the car's controls via the touch screen).

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I don't think the charge port in the Model S is capacitive. It requires physical pressure on the charge port door (or use of the button on the charger handle or the car's controls via the touch screen).
Exactly, thereā€™s a button under the door that is pressed when you push on the door.

TBH, this is my one dislike with the design of the R1T charge door. Iā€™m not sure why they didnā€™t just emulate Tesla for this part. I like the spin-and-open, but I donā€™t want to have to touch a filthy fender to open the port with a bare finger in winter (or fiddle with a phone or get back in the vehicle).

With the Tesla design, I can push on the door with the front of the charger cable itself and it pops open. Or worst case, use a gloved hand in cold weather. (We do this instead of the cable button, because we have a J1772 charger with an adapter.) I never have to touch the car directly.

Itā€™s a stupidly minor concern, all-in-all, so Iā€™m sure it wonā€™t have an affect on my enjoyment. I just hate capacitive buttons in vehicles (even though I love the touch screens).

BuckeyeTruckGuy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper Clubman S All4; R1T Reservation
I have been to a touch less wash and simply made sure to lock the doors. The charge port was fine and remained dry even with high pressure.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Car wash mode is coming on next OTA update - itā€™s apparently only been released to employeesā€™ vehicles at this time. Someone on Reddit posted the change log of everything in the update, but that post was deleted quickly.
Rivian R1T R1S My ultimate water tight / leak test (including tonneau) revealed one major flaw Screenshot_20220411-120401

NEIL JURMAN

First Name
NeilGoigle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited, 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Touring, 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe
Occupation
Business Owner: Airport Transportation Service of Inverness Florida
So I got into it with the R1T today. First with a hose on "Shower" setting, then on the "Jet' setting, and finally with my pressure washer. The good news is, the truck is very well insulated. Even the tonneau cover held water out incredibly well for the most part. The bad news is I found a major flaw (which I'm sure has been discussed here before). The charge port cover opens if any water touches it. I made a thorough video of the whole thing which I hope you guys enjoy:

Sponsored